Penn Central RR Large Pics

sethmcs

Penn Central RR 1968 - 1976

Current project model Penn Central RR from Johnstown to Altoona and rebuild C&BL using Fishlipps Horseshoe Curve Terrain. I have posted some of these pics in other threads but they really need to be together to chart the projects progress....

Mainline between Summerhill and Southfork PA by the 219 overpass.
PC1972.jpg

Route 53 junction with US 219
219North.jpg

Helpers awaiting orders at the Southfork Branch yard.
Southfork1.jpg

Southfork PA
Southfork2.jpg

More Southfork.....
Southfork3.jpg

To be Continued........:hehe:

Penn Central At Southfork......

Near SO Tower....
Southfork6.jpg

Southfork branch of the Conemaugh merges with Conemaugh Creek to form the Little Conemaugh River....Notice mine drainage
Southfork8.jpg

Working inside SO Tower.....
SwitchTower.jpg

Southfork9.jpg

Southfork10.jpg

To Be Continued......:hehe:

Most excellent, how along are you for a release date? I'm doing a few reskins of the default F7 in Penn Central and NYC and and they would look great running on this route.

Most excellent, how along are you for a release date? I'm doing a few reskins of the default F7 in Penn Central and NYC and and they would look great running on this route.

Release date?:hehe: It took me over two weeks to finish a mile from mile post 266 to 267. Over thirty miles to go plus branch lines and the Conemaugh & Blacklick shortline. I am afraid that this is going to be a long-term project. If you want me to post picks of your reskins on the route I'll be quite happy to do that. Give me a pm when they are ready.:wave:

Release date?:hehe: It took me over two weeks to finish a mile

Yeah....Tell me about it....Sure is time consuming eh...Thats the only down fall on making routes...Id rather play more then work on it eh :hehe: ...Looks good by the way :wave:

Yeah....Tell me about it....Sure is time consuming eh...Thats the only down fall on making routes...Id rather play more then work on it eh :hehe: ...Looks good by the way :wave:

Thank you. Actually I would rather build than drive. Building is far more challenging.

This project looks to be as fine a route as any I have seen, and much finer than most. Obviously a labor of love.

Moving Along to milepost 267 to milepost 268

This project looks to be as fine a route as any I have seen, and much finer than most. Obviously a labor of love.

Thank you very much Ed.:D

Made some progress......
Southfork15.jpg

Southfork14.jpg

Actually, it looks more like this......
2680760086_17d0691939_b.jpg

More to Come......:hehe:

This is awesome, are you doing the the mine 40? line that passes through Windber, because my school is right in this area.

Fishlips' DEM that I am using only goes as far south as St Michael on the Southfork branch. I wish it went farther to Windber/Central City. Windber/Central City would be an awesome route. Sorry.

Beautiful. Maybe it was because I am very tired, but when I saw the real pic, it startled me for some reason. Anyway, this is great. Not alot of people do Penn Central. It is good to see something besides ATSF, and CSX.

Also, why do so many people hate Penn Central anyway? (I've noticed this hate in places.)

Most likely because Penn Central was formed to merge the Pennsylvania Railroad, and the NYC, and somehow the New Haven got sucked into it; this was a merger that in many people's minds eliminated 3 of the nations best railroads, and formed to make a horrible one. Conrail was eventually formed to clean up the PC mess and the northeastern railroad problems.

I also think that people (including me) feel that PC completely defaced great paint schemes such as the NYC Cigar Band, or the NH McGinnis with a plain black with a pretty awful logo. No offence Seth, I absolutely love how this is coming along. :p

Now, Norfolk Southern is just as bad by having black and white locomotives like Penn Central did. At least the PRR had Tuscan brown and red.

Personally, I wouldn't say Norfolk Southern's paint scheme looks bad, I actually like it. The thing that differentiates from PC and NS paint schemes are that PC was just a solid black with the logo and then the locomotive's number. NS at least has usually clean locomotives with black & white paint in a nice scheme, plus the far better NS logo on the hood. I suppose it's a matter of opinion.

ns5516.jpg

Vs.

pc1672.jpg

I agree with what you say, and by comparison both are relatively similar, I guess NS just makes it look better. ;)

Why Model Penn Central?

I was born in a house next to the Penn Central mainline. In the early seventies freight trains ran day and night usually at least one every 15 minutes. I have fond memories of watching the trains going by as a kid. In the early 70s Bethlehem Steel employed 14,000 in Johnstown PA and thousands more in the mines. All my family work for Bethlehem Steel and many years later I worked in the steel industry as well. Johnstown was a booming steel town in the seventies with a population of over 60,000. Today Bethlehem Steel is gone and the population of Johnstown is little over 23,000. Nothing wrong with Norfolk Southern or Conrail but neither belong to the era that I am trying to model.

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement.:wave:

Mineral Point PA

More progress....now working between milepost 268 and 269. 10 hours of work and a lot more to do.:eek:

MineralPoint001.jpg

Finally we reach the Saltlick Dam. Steelmaking uses a huge amount of water. Bethlehem Steel owned five dams to supply the Johnstown Plant with water. The five dams were the Saltlick dam, Hinckston Run dam, Quemahoning Dam, Wilmore Dam and Border Dam.

MineralPoint002.jpg

MineralPoint003.jpg

More to Come.....:hehe:

Wow! This looks fantastic! I love the depth you have built. It feels very real to me and it looks like a blast to run on! Keep up the great work!

:wave:

Gisa ^^

Back