The General, a US Civil war locomotive

tbryson2

Just finishing up this engine. Not ready for release yet, but hopefully soon!

What do you think?

Terry

fsscr007.jpg

fsscr012.jpg

fsscr013.jpg

BEAUTIFUL! She isn't 5ft gauge is she?

Trainzsam

Honestly, you will have to forgive my ignorance! :confused:

There is a web site about her, she is in a museum in Georgia, USA.
(http://www.locomotivegeneral.com/)

I know she was a "narrow gauge" loco until the 1960's when she was rebuilt and sent around the country for Americas Bicentennial. When she was re-fitted, they converted her over to standard gauge, (my engine depicts the museum engine in Standard gauge) and converted her from wood burning to oil. I did the tender with wood because it looks better than oil. ;)

Terry

very cool!! this is an old loco!!:udrool:

I know she was built in the 1800's and used in the Civil War, (American). Unfortunately, I don't have the detals to make her like she was in that time period. (I don't think she was as good looking back then either!)

She was blown up once during the war, and survived a fire, (I think). All before her re-fitting and put in a museum.

My engine makes NO claims as to historical accuracy, although that would have been cool!

Terry

I have a plastic model of her that I have had for a LONG time, and just started to fool around in Gmax one day.

After many, many hours and ignoring my other responsibilities, this is the result!

Terry

Terry,
5' is broadgauge. (4'8.5" is standard) The General would have been 5' until 1886, when all railroads in the south converted to standard gauge (4'9", actually)

If you want to build it as it looked during the war, let me know. I have a few photos and plans of it from then.

Anyway, it looks excellent now that its all together.

Cheers,
Ben

:eek: ME WANT! ME WANT!:D Looks great so far! I do hope it will be shiny like the Jupiter! Maybe after this one we'll see the Texas? Maybe the Yonah?:cool:

Hey I said that first!;) What does the Yonah look like anyway? The Yonah II at stone mountain is a 2-6-2 but i doubt the original is a 2-6-2.

The original was a 4-4-0, but it was from 1849 or so, so it looks rather primitive compared to the "General" in its original form. It was potrayed in the Disney movie by B&O's "Lafayette" engine, but it's more like the "General" but with a firebox like the "Lafayette" and its cylinders are above one of the bogies rather than floating between them like the "General" and most subsequent engines.

:eek: ME WANT! ME WANT!:D Looks great so far! I do hope it will be shiny like the Jupiter! Maybe after this one we'll see the Texas? Maybe the Yonah?:cool:

I'm having difficulty getting her to shine! Looks good as flat colors, but your right, she needs some polish!

What may I be doing wrong?

I have the one "diffuse color" map used for almost the entire engine. I changed the "Specular level" to 100, and the "Glossyness" to 30 as described, (unsure where I read to set them to these levels). She shines in Gmax, but not Trainz.

Terry

Back