Question About Weights in Trainz?

sethmcs

Are the weights in Trainz metric or imperial? Example: Coal Hopper weight 69,700 loaded. Is it 69,700 lbs divided by 2,000 equals 34.85 tons or 69,700 Kilos times 2.2 divided by 2,000 equals 76.67 tons?

I selected imperial measurements when I made my route.

Will some help with this weighty matter? :D

So what about liquids?

I'm playing around with tender configs; does the number refer to litres?

Cheers

Nix

So what about liquids?

I'm playing around with tender configs; does the number refer to litres?

Cheers

Nix

Hi Nix

Definitely litres.:)

Just a BTW. Oil burners. You can safely enter the Litre value and it will come out close too correct. .04 of a litre/Kgram diference approx., Depending on Grade of bunkerC oil. (or what mood the refinery workers were in at the time)

Alex

Actually it's tender water.

I'm trying to make Heavy Harry a little more fun to operate by reducing the water level creating a need for more water stops.

The only problem is Harry's tender was specifically designed to carry some 14,000 gallons of water to avoid stopping for water so my Harry ain't gonna be very prototypical!:D

Cheers

Nix

Golly Jeepers we do things different in USA

Conversion Chart for those who want Imperial Weights:

1 Kilogram = 2.2 Pounds
909 Kilogram = 1 US Short Ton (2,000) pounds
1,000 Kilogram = 1 US Long Ton (2,200) pounds
1 Liter = 1.06 Quart
3.77 Liter = 1 Gallon

Practically all bulk freight in the USA is measured in tons.

Europeans drive on the wrong side of the road too.:D

...Europeans drive on the wrong side of the road too.:D...

Thats in Great Britain, Sweden was also like that but I think in 1963 they switched. Never fear my friend we Germans drive on the same side of the road as you do:p.

WileeCoyote:D

And here I was waiting for someone in Great Britain to agree that, yes, Europeans on the continent do drive on the wrong side of the road ;-)

Back on topic, it looks like even with imperial measurements selected, the product quantities shown in Driver are exact from the config file, and so are still in metric kilograms / liters. Since the weight of a train doesn't change between metric and imperial, ("72t in tow", for example), I'm assuming that is also a metric ton.

Yes thats a metric ton, having hauled some 1000t coal trains in Germany I think the weight difference between 1000 long tons and 1000 short tons is a lot, especially when you have to stop the accursed thing.

Last edited:
OH, I Stand Corrected

Thats in Great Britain, Sweden was also like that but I think in 1963 they switched. Never fear my friend we Germans drive on the same side of the road as you do:p.

Oh, I stand corrected:eek: .....Thanks guys for your imput.:) Still weights do matter when you are planning industrial input output.:rolleyes:

Conversion Chart for those who want Imperial Weights:
909 Kilogram = 1 US Short Ton (2,000) pounds
1,000 Kilogram = 1 US Long Ton (2,200) pounds
Just for the record a US short ton of 2000 lbs is closer to 907 kg as a kg is approx 2.2046 Lbs. A metric ton (tonne) is 1000 kg which is abt 2,205 lbs or 98.4% a US long ton of 2,240 lbs.

Bob Pearson

...I been studying this lately...

:cool: Seth, seeing you are in New York, I can help on one point.

Speaking of coal cars, the modern gross weight is 140 tons. That's 129,705kg.

However, the weight of the car in TRS, Driver, will turn up 114 tons.

I found that using a max weight of 141000(kg) in the config files, makes the car weigh 140 tons.

I've changed the mass weight(Light Weight) of the car many times(the car in question is the BethgonII rotary "gondola"), but using 127705 as the maxweight, and load amount, will always bring up a total car weight as 114 tons in Driver.

My 140 car coal trains only showed 15,987 tons, verses the 20,020 tons it should weigh(locomotive weights are not included in "Details").

Thats a difference of 4033 tons, or 28.8 cars!

Last edited:
Hi Guy's

The mass for a unit(litre) of commodity such as coal in trainz is variable.

For instance:-

Coal Product, kuid:44179:60013 by VaughanK is 0.86Kg per unit/litre
Ballast product, kuid:113998:9003 by jimm is 0.96 per unit/litre
and so on and so forth.

Here are the loadings I worked out for the SAR OB tarped Gondola:-

Trainz loading
Mass tare 18100 (18.1T)
Load 33400 (33.4t)
Gross 51500 (51.5t)
Trainz loads,
wood chips 83500 (33.4t)
Bulk Fertilizer 26000 (31t)
Bauxite 26000 (33.3t)
Ballast 20000 (32t)
Gravel 20000 (30.5t)
sand 20000 (30.5t)
Wool Bale 50 (10.2t)

Notice each setting for maximum permissable load brought the Gross weight of the vehicle to below its maximum permissable weight.

If you check these vehicles loaded too there max permissable eg, 20000 for ballast, in driver. You will see that the loaded vehicle comes out at:-

50.1t.

Or 18,100kg (the initial weight of the vehicle) plus 32,000Kg (the weight of the load). Giving 50,100Kg.

Actually this thread now makes me realise, I will have too recalculate all the coal capacity's in the tenders I have done.:eek:

Gee thank's guy's.:rolleyes: :D :D

Cheer's all,

Alex

Sorry, I meant too say also.

You should be sensible about large volume items that are comparitively light in weight, such as the wool bale.

These occupy a fair amount of space in a vehicle and although the vehicle would be fully loaded, its actual weight would be fairly light.

Alex:)

Last edited:
So Commodity Weight=Mass X Volume

Hi Guy's

and so on and so forth.

So a given commodity weight is determined by the mass of the product (determined by the creator of the product) times the volume (provided by the creator of the rolling stock item).

So the next logical question is there any standard between the Two?

You need 4 things for accurate weight of bulk product cars in Trainz after 2k4 arrived.
1)Accurate light weight (mass) specified as mass in kgs by the mass tag in the car's config.
2)Accurate volume capacity of the car specified by the size of the product queue in liters in the car's config. For open cars this can include the "heap" - vol above the sides of the car in which product is piled.
3)Accurate weight (mass) density of the bulk product specified as mass density in kg/ltr with the mass tag in the products config.

The 4th is the one that Auran left out of the program - a way to prevent overloading a car with more product than it can legally carry. LARS maxweight tag fixed that but only for cars and industries that are LARS compatible. Std Auran based industries don't recognize this user define tag and will overload a car if the product mass density is high enough.

All of these have to be researched and accurately added to the config files. Things that in the rush to get to the DLS sometimes take 2nd priority.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
Hi sethmcs,

My approach when assigning queues, is too work within the limitations of the prototype. ie. Gross minus Tare gives the appropriate Maximum loading for the vehicle. I do err. on the light side as the example above shows.

Then supply a number of Slots that can have appropriate loads assigned in surveyor with the drop down menu. This meen's though that the user has too have an idea of the specific weight of what they are loading.

Unfortunately, as Rob has stated, you can easily overload a vehicle unless you are using the Lars system.

It certainly becomes complex when you are playing with "General Purpose" vehicles that could be used for just about anything.:confused:

Is this helping at all?

Alex

:eek:

I just went over my figures and they are wrong on that vehicle-----Grrrr.

Sheesh.

Sorry bout that.:rolleyes:

sethmcs,

Grab some sleep mate, I'll redo them and you can check back tomorrow.

This is getting like "Rocket science".

Alex

Hi Guy's

and so on and so forth.

Here are the loadings I worked out for the SAR OB tarped Gondola:-

Trainz loading
Mass tare 18100 (18.1T)
Load 33400 (33.4t)
Gross 51500 (51.5t)
Trainz loads,
wood chips 83500 (33.4t)
Bulk Fertilizer 26000 (31t)
Bauxite 26000 (33.3t)
Ballast 20000 (32t)
Gravel 20000 (30.5t)
sand 20000 (30.5t)
Wool Bale 50 (10.2t)

Notice each setting for maximum permissable load brought the Gross weight of the vehicle to below its maximum permissable weight.

If you check these vehicles loaded too there max permissable eg, 20000 for ballast, in driver. You will see that the loaded vehicle comes out at:-

50.1t.

Or 18,100kg (the initial weight of the vehicle) plus 32,000Kg (the weight of the load). Giving 50,100Kg.

Actually this thread now makes me realise, I will have too recalculate all the coal capacity's in the tenders I have done.:eek:

Gee thank's guy's.:rolleyes: :D :D

Cheer's all,

Alex

Hi Guy's

Here's a trap "for young" players. Notice these two Commodities:-

Ballast product, kuid:113998:9003 by jimm is 0.96Kg per unit/litre
Ballast product, kuid2:81150:304:1 by winnaa is 1.6Kg per unit/litre

I hadn't "Goofed" after all........:rolleyes:

Alex

Back