Thomas & Friends: how to download (or purchase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delticfab

Hi everyone,
It's me again, looking for advice before I mess up (again)!

My son is really wanting to have Thomas & Friends trains and the Island of Sodor to drive around.
Ideally, I'd happily pay some money, and have a hassle free experience - but I don't think this is going to happen.

I've been searching the forums to try and find out how to do what I need to do, and have been directed to Sodor Island 3D
si3d.jimbo.com
However, I can't search the forum until I get approved (pending) and my son is keen for me to start downloading now...
so I have found where the downloads are, but I don't really know what I'm doing.

Any offers of assistance would be most gratefully received.

many thanks,
jo

I dont think you need to be a member of the forum to be able to download a file as I just gave it a try and was able to download Thomas.
Go to this link and you will see the Locos I advise clicking on the screen shot and select open link in new tab.
You will then get a download link, NB some of these are winzip files so you will need to unzip them to get the CDPs.
LINK for Locos

G'day Jo!

There is a file for Trainz known as a CDP file. (Content Dispatcher Pack). This is the file format where Trainz Content is stored. These can be imported with the program Content Manager Plus once downloaded via File>Import CDP, then select the CDP file you downloaded. Alternatively, you can make a folder and put a number of CDP files in there and go File>Import Content. Then select the File you put all the CDPs in.

I know this is brief, but it's all I have time for. Good luck!

Cheers!

Jake.

Make a folder for your Trainz downloads so they don't get mixed up.

thanks Jake and Robin,
But I'm really needing some sort of tutorial. In the past, anything that can go wrong, has gone wrong.
Trainz is the one thing that can (and does) really mess my life up, big time. I have very little knowledge of what I'm doing computer wise.
I think that one of the things that is a problem for me around here is that (most) people who are interested in Train sims, have got an inbuilt understanding of computers that accompanies their journey. I'm hopelessly out of my depth.
What I really need is some place within the forum that is identified for (poor sods) like myself that are here because it's the only way to get out of a mess with our kids. Specifically kids who have a special interest in trains, but who perhaps can not yet read and write.. and haven't mastered the art of visually memorising from you tube what needs to be done!

So, if anyone has a tutorial they could guide me towards (Ive tried you tube, but the one I found was dreadful and the camera went everywhere until I felt sick!) I'd be really grateful. Thanks again, jo

Well, I've had a go at it. And I have managed to get Thomas to appear in the list of trains, but when you click on it, nothing happens. So I've gone to the download place and it has missing dependencies and when I look at the list of errors this is what is shows...
But quite what all this means is a totally mystery to me....
Anyone got any ideas? thanks..

Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5212> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5209> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid2:326537:5032:2> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5031> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5205> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5206> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5210> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5211> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5198> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5232> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5233> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5231> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:268447:1049> is unknown.
Warning: The tag '0' in container 'submeshes-122285' is empty.

Well when I first started using a PC all I previously knew was how to use an Amega A500 (nothing like using a PC)
Over time and use I now can use it well and the same apples to Trainz I knew nothing and started with the original Trainz 1.3
Its just time practice and gained knowledge so dont sell your self short.
If you need specific advice I can probibly help you, it is better to start with the earlier Trainz editions like TRS2004 and since you dont have TRS2006 - TS09

Well, I've had a go at it. And I have managed to get Thomas to appear in the list of trains, but when you click on it, nothing happens. So I've gone to the download place and it has missing dependencies and when I look at the list of errors this is what is shows...
But quite what all this means is a totally mystery to me....
Anyone got any ideas? thanks..

Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5212> is unknown.

Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5209> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid2:326537:5032:2> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5031> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5205> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5206> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5210> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5211> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5198> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5232> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5233> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:326537:5231> is unknown.
Error: Dependency <kuid:268447:1049> is unknown.
Warning: The tag '0' in container 'submeshes-122285' is empty.

Hi which version of Trainz did you extract this into?
I just extracted Thomas into TS09 I only have one item missing and it is on the D/S

Well when I first started using a PC all I previously knew was how to use an Amega A500 (nothing like using a PC)
Over time and use I now can use it well and the same apples to Trainz I knew nothing and started with the original Trainz 1.3
Its just time practice and gained knowledge so dont sell your self short.
If you need specific advice I can probibly help you, it is better to start with the earlier Trainz editions like TRS2004 and since you dont have TRS2006 - TS09

Hi Robin, ...Im not sure how to update the list of trainz simulator programmes that we have here. But, you name it, and we've got it. They just don't all show up. Some of them are on the laptop (barely running these days, but operates on windows 7) and on the new windows 8 computer we have 2012, 2009 and 2010 (except the 2010 one wont run... I had a nasty lot of troubles a couple of weeks back, which the forum crew kindly assisted with, but ultimately, it won't run and I can't in truth, cope with even thinking about that right now!) But unfortunately for me... :-/ my son has been kicking around with Trainz and Railworks since he was about 3 years old... So that's 4 years of my life spent feeling bewildered and confused! At some stage in my 'career'! I did manage to get some sodor stuff onto one of the trainz programmes, but there was no logic in my approach or method, ... so god only knows how I achieved it!!

I had heard that Trainz will not work correctly on Windows 8 ?
With Widows 7 every thing has to be and installed and ran as admin not sure if Win 8 is the same
I am running my Trainz versions in Widows XP on my PC and Vista on my Laptop
I could give you a link to how to run on Vista/Windows 7 but I dont know if it would be any use for Windows 8

Please can someone help? I know I need more instructions than might be normal, but I'm sure I can't be the only one that would benefit (and be very grateful!). I'd so love to be enjoying my Mother's Day... But I'm spending most of it trying to do this.

Please if anyone has any instructions it'd be great to have them! I'm still waiting for access to the forum (s3i) so, maybe the answers are there... It's just I can't access them until I get approved and its taking a long time. Thanks, jo

IM THE SAME ! Dont worry i'm a lonly no content kid.

I'm a new trainz fan and play on kindle and PC and same I so want content to get Thomas and friends trains and cant get content and my mom will do it on, well maybe on 12/31/14 I hope. I'm so sorry I cant tell you how, but your not the only one. I'm only 8 years old. So...................................................
Check tomorrow at Cody6106. I wish I had a avatar as Flying Scotsman. so check tomarrow, the reply may not be there.

Your helpful trainz nabour,

Cody

I'm a new trainz fan and play on kindle and PC and same I so want content to get Thomas and friends trains and cant get content and my mom will do it on, well maybe on 12/31/14 I hope. I'm so sorry I cant tell you how, but your not the only one. I'm only 8 years old. So...................................................
Check tomorrow at Cody6106. I wish I had a avatar as Flying Scotsman. so check tomarrow, the reply may not be there.

Your helpful trainz nabour,

Cody
Hello, and welcome to the forums! Please get your mom to read this with you.

Just wanted to point out that on the left-hand side of the blue bar above all posts is the date and time it was posted. As you can see, the last post before yours was made well over a year ago.

Here in the forums, a thread that's been inactive for a long period of time is referred to as a "dead thread". It's good forum etiquette to not post in such threads unless you're the thread author.

As for your Flying Scotsman avatar, I can help you with that. You might want your mom to help with this part, because it can get a bit confusing.

-At the top of your screen, right next to where it says "Log Out", it says "Settings". Click on "Settings".
-On the left side of the screen is a column of boxes surrounded with a blue border. The tallest box, titled "My Settings" has an option in there that says "Edit Avatar". Click "Edit Avatar".
-There, you'll find a pull-down menu near the center of the screen. Click that, and some options will appear.
-Click on the option "UK and Ireland (45 avatars)". A selection of British avatars will appear. On the second page, there is a Flying Scotsman avatar.
-Click on the circle next to the words "Flying Scotsman" under the Flying Scotsman avatar. The circle should have a dark dot in it after it's been clicked.
-Now click the box with the word "Save Changes", and your Flying Scotsman avatar is set!

Happy Trainzing! :p

Last edited:
Welcome to Trainz, Cody6106.
First off, if you're worried about spending money to get Thomas and his friends, do not worry if you get it from Sodor Island 3D (http://si3d.jimdo.com/), for their stuff is consider 'freeware'. 'Freeware' is extra stuff for Trainz that is free, while 'payware' is extra stuff for Trainz that you have to pay for. Also, if you need help installing Thomas and his friends, go ahead and reply and anyone here can help.

Welcome to Trainz, Cody6106.
First off, if you're worried about spending money to get Thomas and his friends, do not worry if you get it from Sodor Island 3D (http://si3d.jimdo.com/), for their stuff is consider 'freeware'. 'Freeware' is extra stuff for Trainz that is free, while 'payware' is extra stuff for Trainz that you have to pay for. Also, if you need help installing Thomas and his friends, go ahead and reply and anyone here can help.
Try http://si3d.co.nr now for their full range including TRS2009+ compatible content.

Kieran.

I can be of help here. First off, since Richmas is over, there are new models, and SI3D's content (at the moment) is ment for Trainz 2009, but works for the most part in Trainz 2012. Some other sites I recommend for Thomas in Trainz content is WildnorWester's site, TheDirtyTrainz1, and of course, my site (click the signature to go to my site). As for installing content, open content manager, and drag and drop the CDP's into Content Manager, and that will install them. If there are any dependencies that have to be downloaded off the Download Station, right click on the asset and click "Download" (Note: The 2012 content should include all the dependencies, as SI3D has made there own for the 2012 specification content.) After all that, if there are no errors (Red !) then fire up trainz and play away! Hope this helps. :)

Those are Rich and Sean's dependencies, You can ask those kuids via email, or any other communication program that you and SI3D both have.

I have a website you can download Thomas content from: thejonastrainz.jimdo.com/locos They are meant for TS2009 SP4/TS2010 and up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back