Gloss effect using Paint Shop Pro

KenGreen

Is it possible to create a gloss effect using Paint Shop Pro?

I am trying to reskin the green A4 that is on the DLS (private use only) but would like to add a gloss finish as seen on the attached:

a460009atnorwich.jpg

Specular lighting does not achieve this effect but how is it done with Paint Shop Pro or is this just not possible.

Ken Green

Wouldn't that be one of those texture materials combining a Diffuse image with a so-called environmental reflection image in the Reflection slot (in gmax/Max or whatever)? In other words, it's not something that can be achieved just in your graphics package. The best you could do in the graphics package alone would be an actual photograph of the real loco, but the reflections would be static.

Thanks Deane, I thought that may be the case because I'd never seen it in PSP before but wondered if there were any work arounds.

Ken

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but did you know that you can alter the shine on the mesh by using PEV's PM2IM to alter the speculars in the mesh. By playing about with the specular colour etc you can have a wide range of results between matt to high gloss finish.

Scottish

Thanks Scottish but I mentioned that in my posting. In fact it was messing around following Philskene's post that started me on this quest.

Thanks all the same

Ken

What you are seeing is the mix of two 'reflections', and the 'texture' of the surface.

The main things you'll need as follows (posting for interested creators mainly :) ):
*specular. There are 4 obvious specular reflections, these being the front corner of the streamlined 'nose', the front corner of the funnel, the top edge of the side cowling, and the front of the cab.
*Environmental reflections (currently Trainz only supports sky reflections). This gives the overall reflective look to the body. Less reflection on black surfaces in most cases.
*Normals map. This needs to be very carefully made to give the effect you are seeing, since it needs to represent a non-flat sheet metal surface (e.g. all the ripples in the sheet metal), as well as the rivet/bolt/etc details
*Specular map. This will help to change the amount of specular on different parts of the texture, such as reducing it where dirt has built up, or on less reflective colours (e.g. black).
*Carefully made main/diffuse texture. This is the actual visible part, which needs to have some very light shading done to give the impression of the ripples when none of the above are active (e.g. viewed from down low, with the sun at the 'right' angle to now give reflections).

Unfortunately, only the last is really possible when editing an asset that doesn't have the above parts as well. That said, I'm pretty sure the old built-in A4/Mallard model did have a normals map, so a specular map is definitely possible, which could help break up the 'solid' specular effect. However, to create the effects shown in the photos, you definitely need environmental reflections.

Regards

Thanks Zec, that was a very full and thorough answer and explains why locos from the more experienced creators look so realistic in this respect.

Ken

What you are seeing is the mix of two 'reflections', and the 'texture' of the surface.

The main things you'll need as follows (posting for interested creators mainly :) ):
*specular. There are 4 obvious specular reflections, these being the front corner of the streamlined 'nose', the front corner of the funnel, the top edge of the side cowling, and the front of the cab.
*Environmental reflections (currently Trainz only supports sky reflections). This gives the overall reflective look to the body. Less reflection on black surfaces in most cases.
*Normals map. This needs to be very carefully made to give the effect you are seeing, since it needs to represent a non-flat sheet metal surface (e.g. all the ripples in the sheet metal), as well as the rivet/bolt/etc details
*Specular map. This will help to change the amount of specular on different parts of the texture, such as reducing it where dirt has built up, or on less reflective colours (e.g. black).
*Carefully made main/diffuse texture. This is the actual visible part, which needs to have some very light shading done to give the impression of the ripples when none of the above are active (e.g. viewed from down low, with the sun at the 'right' angle to now give reflections).

Unfortunately, only the last is really possible when editing an asset that doesn't have the above parts as well. That said, I'm pretty sure the old built-in A4/Mallard model did have a normals map, so a specular map is definitely possible, which could help break up the 'solid' specular effect. However, to create the effects shown in the photos, you definitely need environmental reflections.

Regards

Hi Zec Murphy,

Please observe the below images:-

http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/s...motives/Test3_zps6e7439f6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/s...motives/Test4_zpsec773960.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

when I added reflection map to textures as a result there is no transparency effect on modle windows (img 2),

Any suggestion that how to achieve transparent effect on model windows even though using reflection maps.

Last edited:
Back