Updating DirectX 9.0c- how to do it

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Updating DirectX 9.0c- how to do it (including Windows Vista/7)

This thread details how to manually update DirectX 9.0C. For the automated version, see my DXInstallHelper thread (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...rectX-Install-Helper-Utility-(DXInstallHelper))

ce this seems to be a fairly common problem (especially with TS2009/TS2010 users), I thought I would write this thread to give a one-stop place with all the relevant information for updating DirectX (which is required for TS2009 SP3 and later versions)

If you are using Windows 7 (and possibly Vista) you may need to install the Redist version. If you are running XP, you can install either (although the websetup version may work with Vista/7, it's not guaranteed)

Also note that if you have DirectX 10 or higher installed, you need to install the Redist version as the websetup version will say that a later version is installed)

If one method fails, try the other method.

Websetup version (reccomended for most users)

This is the easiest version to install, as long as you have an internet connection. The file is at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?DisplayLang=en&id=35

To install this version:

1. Click the link above, then click Download on the page that appears.
2. A File Download box will appear: click Run (you will probably only need the file once, but you can click Save if you want to save a copy - you will then need to double-click it to run it)
3. An installation wizard will then appear: click to accept the license agreement then click Next.
3a. Due to a change in a recent version, you may encounter a screen relating to the Bing bar. Untick the option for this then click Next.
4. The next screen will then inform of what will be downloaded/installed - click Next.
5. The update will start automatically: click Finish when it is done. The update is now complete.

Redist version - Recommended for Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 systems and for users that have not yet installed DirectX 9.0C(Also use if you have DirectX 10/11 installed)

This can be downloaded from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56511&clcid=0x409.

This one is a bit more complex, but may be needed if the computer running Trainz does not have an internet connection. You will need a system with an internet connection to download the file, then a USB stick or CD to copy it to the system running Trainz.

This version can also be used to save a copy of the DirectX files in case of a system re-install (be aware though, this version does not update itself so you may have to check the link every few months for updates.

To install this version:

1. Click the link above (just under the Redist version heading), then click Download on the page that appears.
2. A File Download box will appear:Click Save then save it to the desktop (it is nearly 100MB worth of file, so it may take a while on a slow connection).
--The next instruction (step 2a) only applies if your Trainz system is not the system with an internet connection--
2a.If this is not the Trainz system, you will need to copy the DirectX redistributable just downloaded over to the Trainz system at this point.

3.Create a folder on the desktop of the system running Trainz (which may or may not be the same system with the internet connection) for the DirectX installation files.
4.Run the file, selecting the folder you just created when asked where you want to extract the files to (make sure it's to the folder you created)
5.Open the folder you created, then run the dxsetup.exe file inside (there will be a load of .cab files, a few other files, and the dxsetup.exe file)
6. An installation wizard will then appear: click to accept the license agreement then click Next.
7. The next screen will then inform of what will be installed - click Next.
8. The update will start automatically: click Finish when it is done. The update is now complete.

If there is any information missing or incorrect, let me know.

Note: It is a good idea to restart your system after updating Directx - it's a core part of the operating system and it may not recognise the update straight away

Also, when the update is complete,you can delete the DirectX installation file(s) if you want to (dxwebsetup if it's the web installer version, or the folder you created if using the redist version (+ the redist self-extracting file))

Shane

EDIT: When using the links, please avoid using copy and paste as the links may not work correctly if pasted elsewhere (it's due to the way the forum handles some links). If you want to open it in a new window, right-click the link and choose Open in New Window or Open in New Tab.

EDIT: Latest Versions are:

Websetup version: June 2010/April 2011
Redist version: June 2010/April 2011 - release date is April 2011, but the page says June 2010

NOTE: I have collated the DirectX information with some of my other advice on my new Trainz Information site - see http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=75402 for the address.

Last edited:
I think a lot of the reason why it's a common problem, and this is something that needs to be stated here, is because of the misunderstanding of Windows Vista and 7.

Yes, Vista and Windows 7 include DirectX 10 or DirectX 11, but they do NOT include a full version of DirectX 9, which is a seperate package.

Installing DirectX 9 on Vista or 7 does NOT replace or downgrade DirectX 10/11, but coexists alongside it, and is essential for trainz (and many other games). If you have Vista or 7, you MUST install DirectX 9.00c

I agree fully there - as a lot of people have found, DirectX 9 and DirectX 10/11 are seperate versions altogether (DirectX 10/11 is not backwards compatible with DirectX 9 (any version))

Shane

EDIT: I have been informed (by djt) that there is some backward compatibility between DirectX 10/11 and DirectX 9 (emulation)

Last edited:
Problem installing DirectX 9.0

I am currently running Win7 64bit with DirectX 11 installed.

I have been trying to install the Websetup version of DirectX 9.0 (because, if I understand correctly, Trainz 2010 runs better with DirectX 9.0)

When Trying to install DirectX 9.0, I get the message "newer version installed"

I assume there is a way of installing DirectX 9.0 with DirectX 11 already installed.

If somebody could give me step by step instrucions on how to install DirectX 9.0 with DirectX 11 already installed, it would be very much appreciated.

Bob

I am currently running Win7 64bit with DirectX 11 installed.

I have been trying to install the Websetup version of DirectX 9.0 (because, if I understand correctly, Trainz 2010 runs better with DirectX 9.0)

When Trying to install DirectX 9.0, I get the message "newer version installed"

I assume there is a way of installing DirectX 9.0 with DirectX 11 already installed.

If somebody could give me step by step instrucions on how to install DirectX 9.0 with DirectX 11 already installed, it would be very much appreciated.

Bob

Use the redist download version in Win7 not the web one. Works for me anyway.

That is a good idea - instructions on how to do so are in the first post of this thread (make sure you follow them correctly).

For most people though, the websetup version is the easiest way of doing it.

Shane

Thanks Malc and Shane.

Redist version installed and working fine.

Out of curiosity, how does Trainz know which DirectX version to use?
Thanks again
Bob

Thanks Malc and Shane.

Redist version installed and working fine.

Out of curiosity, how does Trainz know which DirectX version to use?
Thanks again
Bob
It's programmed into it as in when the program was compiled that was the version of DirectX that was used.
Win7 does have a basic cut down element of DirectX 9c in DirectX 10 however unlike previous versions of Direct X it's not fully backwards compatible or put another way there are bits missing. Why Microsoft decided to do this is anyones guess. ;)

In terms of the backward-compatibility, it's on the Direct3D only - some features, like the DirectX for .NET Framework (which, I believe, is what Trainz is partially using), are not included in DirectX 10/11, as it was discontinued in 2005/6. The DirectX web installer and DirectX redist versions have this as part of them.

Shane

An update...

A new version of DirectX has been released (30/11/2010), so if users are encountering any DirectX-related issues, follow the instructions in the first post of this thread.

I will be updating my DirectX tommorrow, so I will hopefully be able to create a video walkthrough on how to do the Redist installation.

I know I'm a few days late, but it's better than never.

Shane

EDIT: Only the websetup version has been updated, the Redist version is still June 2010. Users who want the latest version of DirectX need to use the Websetup version until a new version of the Redist gets released.

Last edited:
EDIT: Only the websetup version has been updated, the Redist version is still June 2010. Users who want the latest version of DirectX need to use the Websetup version until a new version of the Redist gets released.

The November DirectX End-User Runtime update isn't really a DirectX update at all (unless you want the “Bing” tool bar, lol) , hence the reason why a new redistributable hasn't been released yet -

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2010/11/30/dxwebsetup-update.aspx

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=333579

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/128016-directx-november-2010-update.html

I found that one out after posting - it does have several installer-related fixes though, which may help people who were having problems installing the June 2010 release.

Shane

After reading this thread and thinking about a couple of things, I am very curious about something.

If I install the redist version of Direct X, do I need to also install DirectX 9C?

Another question I have is that some people have posted that they get better frame rates running under DirectX then in OpenGL. I am not seeing this, even with a reasonably new computer, using either DirectX or OpenGL I get the same frame rates. Would installing the Redist.exe version make any really difference to this?

Craig
:):):)

Last edited:
It may do.

As stated in the first post, installing either version should install Directx 9.0C, but the Redist version is more likely to be able to do so.

As for frame rates, on some machines DirectX does give better frame rates than OpenGL - mostly on systems with ATI graphics cards (it's best to have the latest version of DirectX installed, which can be done by following the instructions in the first post)

Shane

I think a lot of the reason why it's a common problem, and this is something that needs to be stated here, is because of the misunderstanding of Windows Vista and 7.

Yes, Vista and Windows 7 include DirectX 10 or DirectX 11, but they do NOT include a full version of DirectX 9, which is a seperate package.

Installing DirectX 9 on Vista or 7 does NOT replace or downgrade DirectX 10/11, but coexists alongside it, and is essential for trainz (and many other games). If you have Vista or 7, you MUST install DirectX 9.00c

My Vista PC shows DirectX 11 is installed

You can not uninstall DirectX, it is a integral part of windows.

When Trainz was installed it asked if I wanted to install DirectX, I clicked YES ... Then it came up with a notice that "Your PC already has the DirectX Common Controls".

My PC will not let Relist and the Websetup versions DirectX to be installed ... it says that the path is not valid ... and is not suitable for my platform and OS ... That to install I must use: e/parameters

I have tried the Relist and the Websetup versions, but it will not install.

The Redlist version download shows no file that says Setup.exe

When I click on Setup Application it says file path not valid.

I just hate it when PC's are stoopider than me:hehe:

My TrainzDiag show DirectX Failure problems with vertex shaders, spherical environmental mapping, and vertex buffers as a Warning ... but says that overall the TrainzDiag - Trainz Diagnostic Tool passed-"Success".

Do I really need DirectX 9 to run TRS2006 ?

How can I get DirectX 9 to "coexist alongside DirectX 11".

This part of the instructions is confusing:

You will need a system with an internet connection ... copy it to the system running Trainz ... this version does not update itself so you may have to check the link every few months for updates .. .save it to the desktop ... If this is not the Trainz system you will need to copy it over at this point ... Create a folder on the desktop of the system running Trainz (which may or may not be the same system with the internet connection) for the DirectX installation files. <---You have this PC Dummie totally lost here

Last edited:
I'm used to that - the file is actually called dxsetup.exe for the actual install of DirectX once the files are extracted to a temporary folder (using the Redist version).

A useful tip I can give regarding the Direct installer(s) is if you run it from the Command prompt, you can use the /x parameter to specify a folder to extract the files to (this works with both versions of the dxsetup file (websetup and redist)

Shane

There is no file labeled: dxsetup.exe

There is only DXSETUP, which shows that it is an Application File, that is an invalid path, or some other highly sophistamacated doowhacky PC terminology:confused:

It also shows and internal windows system error

Last edited:
That sounds like a problem with your core DirectX files - are you using the Redist or Websetup version?

(It sounds like Windows is hiding extensions so that sounds lile the correct file - you should also have a few other files and several .cab files as well.

Shane

Many thanks for the advice and this thread. While I do not have any problems running Trainz (2004/2009/2010) on my Windows 7 64bit based system another member with almost the same set up as mine (graphics cards are different, his is the next nVidia one up), he is having a lot of problems. He can get 2004/2010 to run to the opening menu but trying to go any further and Trainz will crash on him.

I have pointed him to this thread and maybe this is the answer to his problem.

Thanks, your help is much appreciated.

Craig
:):):)

It's OK - a lot of people have found this thread useful (it may be the only one that clearly explains how to update/install DirectX 9.0C - but that's my opinion - others may have a different opinion - everyone is entitled to their own opinion)

Shane

Back