UK routes in the 2000s era

alexl102

Learning... slowly!
I have a heavy leaning towards UK railways, and I've got a fair few routes such as Hawes Jctn, Keighley and WVR, EMCL, Scarborough-Middlesborough, and recently the North Devon and WR Branchline routes. However, they all seem to be either modelled on either the first couple of decades of BR, or heritage lines.

There's nothing wrong with that but I fancy a slight change and was wondering if anyone has modelled a route based on one of the lines that terminate at Leeds, e.g.
Leeds-Harrogate-York
Leeds-Ilkley
Leeds-Keighley-Skipton
Leeds-Huddersfield (and surrounding area)
Leeds-Bradford-Halifax

Specifically one that's modelled on Leeds as it has appeared since privatisation? Alternatively, are there any similar lines to those listed but based around Manchester or York (that doesn't include the whole ECML- it's brilliantly modelled but simply too big for me)?

I realise it's a long shot but thanks in advance.
Cheers

Hi

Search the DLS for author "kimmy" who has the "Yorks & Lancs" route which I believe covers Leeds to Skipton. There is also "Leeds to Sheffield" by "driver_col" and also "Colne to Skipton" by "clack45" which comes in three seperate parts which may be able to be merged. I'm not sure if they are post privatisation but may be able to be converted reasonably easily.

With regard to the ECML being too large, you could spend some time cutting it down to the sections that you want. I have a few routes made from it such as KX to Hitchin, KX to Peterborough etc. Start by cutting it down to KX to Doncaster and save it under a new name, then cut that route down to KX to Peterborough and so on. I needed to do this as my laptop couldn't handle the whole route but can cope well with the shorter versions. If you decide to do this save frequently as deleting too many boards at once caused my computer to lock up and I lost everything that I'd done.

You can update the route (or part of it) to the present day but it needs a bit of research to get the track layout correct and adding the OHLE can drive you to distraction. You can download the current sectional appendix from Network Rail which will give you current track layouts, distances, speed limits, hot box detectors etc and they also have the current working timetables available there. I would have added the links but their site seems to be down at the moment.

Just remembered, author "segy" has "Piccadilly TS2010" on the DLS which is based on Manchester Piccadilly in the modern era. He also has a couple of routes based on Crewe which may interest you.

Regards

Brian

Last edited:
That's very interesting Brian, many thanks.

I had thought about cutting down the ECML- I'm more interested in the Northern half of it to be honest- but someone told me it'd taken them three days of intense deleting which I found a little off-putting.

Again though, thank you!

Okay, just checked and I couldn't find results for Kimmy's Yorks & Lancs or the Colne to Skipton one. :( Are they on the DLS?

I'm getting a message saying that the maximum number of clients are connected, should I wait or what?

I've cut down the ECML at Potters Bar. Using this, I've made a route that includes my Alexandra Palace to Finsbury Park branch, and also my Widened Lines. I can now run suburban steam trains from Alexandra Palace to Moorgate, which is how my Dad got to work in the early 'fifties. I also went on this journey a few times, I was very young, but I remember it.

But I don't suppose I could ever upload this, as it includes the section of the ECML which of course is not my work.

Mick Berg.

Back