How does one place Locomotives in Routes and Sessions

jimq1222

I am new to Trainz; just got Trainz12 last weekend... I have been unable to find the process for placing engines in routes in the documentation or the sites I have visited... I have been able to place consists... How is engine placement done? I have purchased some additional engines and want to use them... I have been able to use the built in sessions... Thanks in advance...

Welcome to the very addictive sim of Trainz. Loco engines can be found in the rolling stock tab at the bottom of your side tabs in surveyor. If you have placed consists then you are in the right section. Just click the left icon for all engines and rolling stock as single items.

I only add Engines or Consist in Surveyor just to test feature, distance to platform, clearance under bridge etc, I always remove them.
I add Engines and Consists in the Edit Session.

I only add Engines or Consist in Surveyor just to test feature, distance to platform, clearance under bridge etc, I always remove them.
I add Engines and Consists in the Edit Session.
Why not do it all from the edit session? By doing alterations to only the route you can find that sessions can become detached because you may have moved track etc that the session was using.

Why not do it all from the edit session?

Because the bridge is in the 'route layer'. If you want to adjust the height of the bridge, you must do it in 'edit route'. If you do it in 'edit route', changing the height of the bridge will result with the bridge being at the new height on each session that uses this route. Anything placed on the route in 'edit session' is in the 'session-layer'. 'Session-layer' objects only appear in the session you put them in, no matter how many sessions you have that use that route.

I always go to edit session and then make sure to make edits in route layer. Any time I have just gone straight to edit route it erases session rules, scripted signal settings, YARN intersection settings and so forth. I also make sure to merge session to route every once in a while. I only have one session for my route in progress though.

Anything placed on the route in 'edit session' is in the 'session-layer'. 'Session-layer' objects only appear in the session you put them in, no matter how many sessions you have that use that route.
Not true, open edit session and you can select if you want to use the session or route layer.

Both cases are true when the session has a different name than default, the session-placed consists don't appear. I found out the hard way with this, but it has its advantages. You can have a steam era session, or a coal only session, or any number of different sessions because the session-content is different.

John

Seeing that this is a active thread and is talking adding rolling satock, I am trying to work with the CMTM and they ask for a cars "config.txt", and I am not sure what it is does anyone on this thread know?

Back