Another copyright question

Status
Not open for further replies.

daylightrain

Development Purgatory.
Violation against copyrights... Why N3V?

In Trainz 12 there is an asset called "NYC Heavy 2-8-2 Tender #1595" and it is a reskin by zorronov, off of Ben Neals mikado tender. The problem is that it is included in Trainz 12. This is a strike against Ben's copyrights, and is illegal. Here is a look at the asset, and his copyright:
nyctender.png

Violation against copyrights... Why N3V?

In Trainz 12 there is an asset called "NYC Heavy 2-8-2 Tender #1595" and it is a reskin by zorronov, off of Ben Neals mikado tender. The problem is that it is included in Trainz 12. This is a strike against Ben's copyrights, and is illegal. Here is a look at the asset, and his copyright:

DLS Uploader's agreement:
I confirm that the files contained in the package I am about to upload to the Auran Download Station: are free from all computer viruses; do not infringe any copyright, patent, trademark or other intellectual property rights of any person; do not contain any 3D meshes or textures created or distributed by Auran that have not been substantially modified; are in compliance with the Auran Content Creation and Distribution Policy; and are appropriate for download by all members (including minors) of the Planet Auran community. Auran is in no way responsible for the contents of your upload package and can in no way be considered liable for any of its contents.

It looks like the uploader of the reskin violated the agreement.

Indeed, but based on a post by one of N3V's staff, N3V are not legally obligated to adhere to the license container. I would advise contacting Helpdesk though, as they will not take action based on a forum post except in extreme circumstances.

Shane

Did it de-fame you ?

Was it an insulting asset ?

Don't worrry about your supposed copyrights ... it really doesn't matter, and no court in the world would care ... or take your case to court.

Copyrights ... Schmoppyrights ... it's all the same ... he's not getting rich off of your asset ... what's the diffrence ?

Last edited:
Suggest you ask Ben before stirring things up and making accusations as he more than likely gave permission as he has done for many items now on the DLS complete with meshes, Alias's are no longer supported.

If anyone had bother to check the companion loco it is also reskinned by the same guy and is credited to Ben Neal.

Last edited:
Chill guys

I don't have time at the moment but, daylightrain (as the originator of this thread), could you search the Forums for Ben's post about the use and release of of his creations and then report back here? Thanks.

"Don't worrry about your supposed copyrights" Read the original post again, it's not even his copyright, he's ASSUMING someone else's copyright was violated. AFAIK that type of license is no longer valid anyway, didn't aliasing meshes get obsoleted along with paintshed skins?

A good question though is why did aliasing get obsoleted, it was a useful feature.

I actually thought the same thing at first, but their decision makes sense. The problem with aliased objects is they are only good if the original mesh is available. In many cases people would upload just the alias and this would produce missing dependencies, as if this isn't a problem already with other assets, because people downloading the alias didn't have the original mesh as well.

John

My guess would be performance issues, if the original aliased mesh is listed in the KUID table it should get downloaded automatically if not already installed. For the whole aliasing thing to work the game needs to load the original mesh and apply the aliased skin, less efficient than having mesh and textures all together in the same folder. Might not be a noticeable performance hit depending on how many textures and how big they are, for a single texture paintshed skin it probably worked fine. But then again, anyone who ever tried paintshed skinning knows how lame that usually is.

My guess would be performance issues, if the original aliased mesh is listed in the KUID table it should get downloaded automatically if not already installed. For the whole aliasing thing to work the game needs to load the original mesh and apply the aliased skin, less efficient than having mesh and textures all together in the same folder. Might not be a noticeable performance hit depending on how many textures and how big they are, for a single texture paintshed skin it probably worked fine. But then again, anyone who ever tried paintshed skinning knows how lame that usually is.

That occurred to me but the problem is, mesh and texture libraries essentially do the same thing and those are considered "preferred" ways of making content (where appropriate) now.

For various internal reasons, aliasing has always been horrible for performance in Trainz. Far worse than you'd expect. It was introduced despite the known performance issues because management at the time considered the feature to be important enough to sacrifice game performance and it was hoped that we would resolve the performance issue at a later date. It's been made obsolete because we know that the performance issue is not going to be resolved and because the reasons that once made it important (eg. paintshed) are no longer relevant.

In addition to the performance penalties, there are also concerns over the 'stability' of such content, since regular updates to the base meshes can completely break the aliased versions, either by making them outright faulty despite not being changed themselves, or by breaking the texture mapping despite them not being faulty as such.

chris

Don't worrry about your supposed copyrights ... it really doesn't matter...

copyrights aren't 'supposed'. They are real, and it may very well matter to the creator and owner of the copyright.

True, it would probably never find it's way to court, but that doesn't make ignoring a copyright legal or right.

Mike

You may be jumping to conclusions that someone is ignoring the copyright. It is entirely possible that the uploader asked for and received Ben's permission to upload the asset to the DLS.

Curtis

These threads sort of rankle me every time I see them. A more appropriate way to handle these (to the OP) would be to drop Ben a line and say "Hey.... I think your copyright is being violated" and let Ben handle it. The onus is on a trademark holder or copyright holder to protect their rights, not a third party.

a) Ben's a pretty good guy from everything I've seen, and although I've never reskinned anny of his stuff, from what I've heard of him, he's real good about giving permission if you ask.
b) I've got other stuff from Zorronov, he's been a pretty good contributor to the community, I'm sure if he's uploaded a reskin of someone's stuff, he's got permission for it.
c) I have no idea what sort of communication Ben and Zorronov may or may not have had prior to the upload, so I keep my nose out of other people's business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back