Escanaba and Lake Superior in the North Woods

Wow...Its been a month since I got to post back on here.....Well seeing today is a day off, its pouring rain out, and not much to do today....I figure I might as well run some trains

So today we took a spin up to Pembine to see what was going on

When we got there a lot of action was happening....We had some nice power laying over near the depot

Then we heard a train horn off from the west, we knew it had to be train 12 from Chicago making its way to the UP....He made his required stop at the diamond but had to hold up for the ELS coming up from Crivitz headed for Channing

Todays power on the ELS are the 2 SD40-2's that they recently required from a leasing company....The ELS had a string of cars for the LP plant near Sagola MI

After the ELS cleared, the WC headed east over the diamond and continued on its way

Last edited:
The 4 engines in the first picture look GREAT. i have 2 of them. E&LS has some of the coolest engines on their roster - even if some are in the dead line.

The 4 engines in the first picture look GREAT. i have 2 of them. E&LS has some of the coolest engines on their roster - even if some are in the dead line.

Yeah they sure did...Sad to see that RR start to fall apart now

(This only happens on the train sim, not in real life) Every fall season the ELS hosts a fall train ride that starts up in Iron Mountain at the depot and rides the rails all the way to Green Bay and back....On this day we see some Milwaukee Road passenger cars that the ELS bought being pulled from storage and pushed into the repair shed to get ready for the falls train ride.....

Pulling the cars from storage

Shoving the cars into the repair shed

Now we wait till they are ready for this fall

what enginehouse are you using for that repair shed if you don't mind me asking? Can't say I've seen it before.

This mornings train fires up and grabs onto an empty sting of ballast cars and heads north to the Groveland Mine for some more ballast....The ELS 1515 is at the mine loading the cars so when the ELS shows up all they need to do is swap the empties for loads and head back to Pembine

Nice to see ya around....Do ya still tinker on your ELS route???

A friend of mine caught this same train in real life, so I decided to make the same train, but into the sim

This was his seeings:

(The E&LS came into GB late morning with the 1338 and about 30 cars. They
had maybe 10 gons on the hind end that could have been the paint ore
loads from Sidnaw. Northbound they pulled 17 from the CN. 2 loads of LPG
for Crivitz, 2 cement for Floodwood and 4 loaded covered hoppers that
might have been fertilizer. Empties were mainly rack flats and a couple
of box cars. After leaving the yard at 1225 they got back to their main
and shoved the 17 cars south to Cormier. The 1338 then ran south through
the siding to Bond St. and pulled 3 lumber empties at WBS. New, or fairly
new engineer was running the 1338. Might have had a trainee too as their
were 2 "non-engineers.")

And now mine

Our first pic we see him departing Green Bay yard

Then we see him coming across Lakeview Dr by the Mountain Bay trail

Coming thru the Howard Industrial Park and about to cross Cornell Rd

Pulling up to Lineville Rd

Shoving the whole train down the line to Cormier

With the train tucked in the siding, the loco runs light to WBS..Here he is about to cross Glendale Ave

A shot of the Howard Fire Department and their trucks

Pulling into WBS to grab the 3 empty centerbeams

With the train back together, the 1338 blasts off north for Crivitz

After making its required stop for the ELS, the 2 SD9's work hard to get their train rolling again, as it heads east for the ore docks at Escanaba MI

CNW Train PRANA aka the "piranha" comes into downtown Iron Mountain MI as it is about to enter there yard north of here at Antoine....This train started down in Proviso

Some shots around Antoine MI, a loco is kept here to switch the near by industries that gets its cars from train PRANA

Yard and engine tracks

Yard office and shed

Old roundhouse that was once used back in the day

Caught the Marinette switch job in town today...

Todays power that is in town is the ELS 400 as it heads for the mill in town

Pulling up to the tank tracks at the mill

Picking up a boxcar at the mill

Doing a run-around of its train to haul back to the CN tracks in town

Now on CN tracks, the 400 heads for the CN depot where it will drop its cars and the CN NB will pick them up later in the day

Dropping its cars off here in the siding, the 400 will run light back to the engine shed

A brief write up about this route

Milwaukee Road Superior Subdivision

The Superior Division of the Milwaukee Road runs 150 miles north from Green Bay, WI to Champion, MI. It was sold to the Escanaba & Lake Superior Railroad in 1981.
The ELS chose to abandon the portion of track in urban Green Bay, and received trackage rights on the CNW into their North Green Bay yard. A short connector was built near MP203 (Lineville Road). This is modeled in the route.
At Stiles Junction (MP 223.8), there is a junction with the CNW branch to Oconto Falls, WI
At Crivitz (MP 248), there is a yard and a wye which leads to a branch line to Marinette, MI (included)
At Pembine (MP277.5) the line crosses the SOO (modeled for a short distance west and east back to Escanaba)
At Antoine (MP292.7), there is a connection to the CNW, which is used to interchange ore from the Groveland Mine
South of Randville (MP303.5), there is a lead to the Groveland Mine, 5 miles of track
South of Sagola (MP308), there is an industrial siding at the Louisiana-Pacific lumber mill
At Channing (MP315), there is a yard and a wye which leads to a branch line to Ontonagon, MI
There are team/pulpwood sidings in Abrams, Lena, Coleman, and Wausaukee. Future sidings will be added at Sobieski, Amberg, Beecher Lake, Merriman, Randville, & Sagola.

Milwaukee Road Menominee & Marinette Branch

This branch runs 20 miles from Crivitz to Marinette.
At Loomis, there is a small siding for loading of pulpwood. In the early 1900’s, there was also a pickle house here.
At Porterfield, there was a junction with the Wisconsin and Michigan which is not modeled. There is a siding which is used for pulpwood and other loads.
West of Marinette, the Park Mills industrial spur leads into to the Scott Paper facility. There are several tracks for both inbound and outbound loads.
At Marinette, there is a small yard with two tracks.
Within Marinette, the south shore industrial lead crossed the CNW, and the branch line crossed the Menominee River into Marinette. During the 1960’s, the crossing was removed, and the MILW obtained trackage rights on the CNW into Menominee and into the industrial lead.

Chicago North Western Escanaba Subdivision

The Escanaba Subdivision of the Chicago North Western runs from Green Bay to Escanaba
This line was sold to the Wisconsin Central in the 1990’s, and is now operated by the Canadian National Railway following their acquisition of the WC
At Green Bay MP1, there is a large main yard with locomotive servicing tracks, a secondary yard to the north, many industrial sidings, and a coal plant for Wisconsin Public Service
At Duck Creek (MP4), the Wausau line splits to the northwest (not modeled)
At Lineville Road (MP5), an industrial lead connects to the MILW Superior Sub
At Little Suamico (MP14.8) there is a long passing siding
At Oconto (MP28.3 to MP28.5), mainline speed is heavily restricted due to “street running”
At Oconto (MP28.5) there is a three track yard, several industry sidings, and a wye leading to a short industrial lead.
At Peshtigo (MP41.7 to MP42.3) is a passing siding and (MP42.3) an industrial lead to the Peshtigo Paper Company
At Marinette (MP47.8 to MP49) a three track yard, and an industrial lead along the south shore of the Menominee River which was/is operated by the MILW/ELS.
There are several sections of track which may not match prototype for the 1970’s. The MILW branch from Crivitz crossed the CNW up until the 1960’s, and the CNW had a parallel branch into the south shore industrial area which was also removed, with both roads obtaining reciprocal trackage rights on the surviving track.
Menominee (MP50) will include several industrial leads, and a freight bypass around the downtown area. North Menominee (MP52) will include the Lloyd factory and several other industries along the water/M-35 corridor)
At Powers (MP92), there is a connection with the CNW’s Antoine Branch
At Escanaba (MP115) there is a yard and a roundhouse
At Ore Dock (MP116), there is a large ore unloading and shipping facility; the older gravity dock is modeled in the route, however this was replaced in the early 1970’s with a low-level dock and conveyor loading system

Todays run to Pembine will be 2 SD9's

Heading up the line to the Groos Yard to grab 11 empty log cars as it ducks over the CN ex-WC line

Now to show off the NEW and IMPROVED ELS 400!!!!

The 400 from MM land pulls up to Hall Ave here at Crivitz as it will soon decouple from its cars and pull into the yard and do some light switching before heading back to the twin cities

Back