Warning to users downloading content by Bort85 - Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Moderators - if this is in the wrong place, please put it in the right place.

Hi Trainzers,

Be aware that any content on the Download Station by the user mentioned in the title is likely to be an illegitimate copy of other users assets, and as a result may be faulty, or even modified. There is also the chance that there will be missing dependencies.

I would advise that if you are intending to download any content from this user, check here on the forums first to make sure that it is not an illegitimate copy of another asset first.

There are quite a few threads from affected content creators on these forums. One way of knowing if it is illegitimate (if you have already downloaded it) is to check the config file of the assets for information of the original author.

N3V, if you happen to read this, please check all assets from this user ASAP and remove any illegitimate copies.

Shane

EDIT: I've just had a look on the web-based DLS, and can confirm at least 3 illegitimate copies of other peoples assets, as the original creator is clearly shown in the screenshot, and the original site's address is also shown.

Last edited:
It appears most of the content that is possibly illegitimate copies of content is russian and looks to be from TrainzUP

That seems to confirm what I have found - I know that most Russian creators upload to third party sites.

Thankyou for your response.

Shane

I fully support Shane's proposal. Bort85's downloads seem to come from a series of Eastern European websites, though I also found couple items taken from TrainZItalia's free downloads :(.
I also report that trainz666's trees look like clones of Pofig's content (again... :().

I think that N3V should take prompt and severe measures against these violations.
I understand that the upload bot cannot check the preview images, but when I see that "author" John Smith, kuid XXXXX " has uploaded items with preview such as "Made by John Doe, kuid YYYYYY" or "Jane Doe Trainz, kuid ZZZZZZ" I cannot avoid suspecting some kind of misbehavior...

Its Ok - it looks like at least one user has downloaded a piece of content from said user.

Pendolino: Thank you for the additional info and support.

Other users: I need as much support as possible to protect users creations from being illegitimately copied as has happened here.

Shane

Yes it is confirmed now! Assets like this one are in fact NOT legit... https://www.auran.com/TRS2004/DLS_viewasset.php?AssetID=259099 I was also able to find that asset via Trainzup in their download section via wagons... http://trainzup.com/?cat=22 I am still researching this issue but Shane is true in saying DO NOT DOWNLOAD!

EDIT: The boxcars can also be found on Trainzup and are from Author Alexx/AlexyK (For Auran I beileve)

EDIT AGAIN: It appears some of the Trainzup Locomotives are uploaded as well....

Last edited:
Before we press the panic button, could this be a case of reposting items that are on the TrainzUP website by the original authors on to the DLS? Trainz Depot does this with some of their items. TrainzUP may be a consortium of users just like TrainzDepot is.

John

Thankyou for the additional info Enzo1.

My clear message to all users who care about content : don't download any content from Bort85, and be wary of content from trainz666.

Shane

I've also seen content from other sites uploaded by said user - if it was a genuine repost I would expect it to be done by the original creator.

Shane

Most likely due to Multiplayer Support as the cause.
Assumption, but can not be ignored.

I have had my own work recently utilized and publish with a variety of minor tweaks.
Thus why done creating for public use.

Trainz666 does have pofig trees uploaded... I am checking other trees from him to see if he has also uploaded possibly JVC or dmdrakes trees...

My CM is currently reporting some of trainz666 clones listed as dependencies for a route we published at TrainZItalia and that only made use of Pofig trees: I have no idea how this happened (maybe they obsoleted Pofig's trees?).

They haven't cloned the route by any chance for Multiplayer? which seem to becoming an obsession from TrainzUP.

It's also obvious from some of the thumbnails which appear to be copies of the texture files, that this is a rush bodge job just to get the stuff online for Multiplayer.

Perhaps Multiplayer should be restricted to builtin assets only, not DLS ones? That would probably stop the problem dead in it's tracks.

Hey guys, any of you familiar with these assets? I am not and just making sure that these are not uploaded from somewhere else (Sorry for the use of the screenshot)
trainz2012-12-1710-17-47-304_zpsd669449d.jpg

It's also obvious from some of the thumbnails which appear to be copies of the texture files, that this is a rush bodge job just to get the stuff online for Multiplayer.

I agree... and if you open the assets you find the name of the original creator under the "author" tag :(.

Perhaps Multiplayer should be restricted to builtin assets only, not DLS ones? That would probably stop the problem dead in it's tracks.

I curse the day N3V decided to add Multiplayer... very few people - much fewer than the hordes that asked for it - seem to use it (outside Russia :D), but it had caused an invasion of badly cloned assets.

I picked up the VL10 off the site here because I loved it when I got it from one of the Russian sites. Didn't take me long to remove it since it wouldn't work. Something about the unit was changed when uploaded, but I'm not sure if the user you're talking about was behind it or not. I did notice that most of the russian content uploaded to the DLS lists its Trainz type as being "unknown."

Hey guys, any of you familiar with these assets? I am not and just making sure that these are not uploaded from somewhere else (Sorry for the use of the screenshot)

The fir trees looks suspeciously like one of trunda's G:Trees the others I've seen before somewhere but think they were from a Russian site, different creator though, the Grass bush thing? could trunda or jankvis hard to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back