Suggestions for Jointed Rail (Not Locomotives)

DJJX

09af7e6199b6db98f4b1b54d49d1c7eb.jpg

How about some DJJX C&D gons.

Last edited:
I would like to see all of JR's metal buildings in some standard colors - almost all are in blue already, but all in tan or all in gray would be nice. Then we could really kitbash some industries by tossing them together in endless combinations! Just a passing thought...

Hi JR.
I still love to see the [ Blue Flashing Light ] to put in front of any locco
[ Do not move ]
herlev

I would like to see all of JR's metal buildings in some standard colors - almost all are in blue already, but all in tan or all in gray would be nice. Then we could really kitbash some industries by tossing them together in endless combinations! Just a passing thought...
I think you can reskin most of them as long as you give credit to Mike.

Noted. I can also release reskin kits for my buildings too if ya'll want.

Mike

Noted. I can also release reskin kits for my buildings too if ya'll want.

Mike

Yes Please. Both Counts. I'm not a reskinner, but as someone playing Tetris with Buildings for Route Creation, MORE PLEASE. I could also suggest making more one off detail parts. You've done some, like the Sun Cover awning thing, and some of the Covered areas and what not, but I would request something *Similar, not exact* to what Dave Snow has done with his "Build a Building" Series. Just maybe instead of making each individual detail, make some modularized Metal Buildings at heights that make some kind of sense. Doesn't have to be too specific, just stuff that could be thrown together in different combinations.

Check all the empty space on some of the Map shots in this thread to see why I'm asking:
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?115324-Seattle-W-I-P
Right now I have alot of exceedingly varied buildings, from DM Drake, to Tume, to Chinese, Japanese, and Russian Creators who's names I probably couldn't pronouce spread all over the place, and it would be alot easier if I just had more available variation.... Particularly for the areas around Argo Yard (Read the thread), as theres TONS of Fabrication and Industry in that area.

Thanks,
Falcus

On the building Line too, I could also suggest making a Mid-size or Large (Think thousands of sq. Ft here for the large anyway), Truck <-> Train Transload Warehouse. There are tons of these things around, and yet theres almost no modern examples (That I've found, if someone knows of some, please point me at them), available. SURE theres TONS of "Freight Houses" from the 20's-60's with the Covered Walkways on both sides, but no Modern Intermodal Warehouse Facilities yet.....

You guys have done Coal, Cold Storage, and Grain, even Juice.... Why not a Boxcar Transload Facility? Incorporating some Modularity into this kind of thing would go A LONG way to being able to reuse it too. Have a Plain Box Building with a Row of say, 25 Truck Loading Docks on it with a Human Door at Ground level on one end, then another Plain Box Building with say 8-14 evenly spaced Rail Loading Docks on it, finally another Plain Building with a Raised Office Entrance and some Officy type windows around it, maybe even on one of the corners (Since the offices in these places are almost always squeezed into the corners). Make them all the same Height, add some Roof Detail (Small HVAC/A/C Units, Sky Lights, whatever, knock yourselves out), maybe some sparse Side & Backside details so that each "Box Building" can be used on its own and not look totally ridiculous from the back side, and BAM. Instant Modular Transload Warehouse, just add water, Plink onto Map, Sprout some Tracks & Roads from it and watch the hilarity ensue..... Make sure it comes in multiple colors (Blue, Tan, Grey, and White with a Big Stripe near the top of either a color of your choosing or various colors), and you have almost as many building combinations for a simple set of models as you can make with skittles out of a Bag of Skittles..... Taste the Rainbow?

Falcus

Speaking of the buildings...

How about some old-fashioned brick mill and factory buildings which are oh, so common up here in New England and the rest of the Northeast to upper Midwest? :)

http://binged.it/1wxoZLU --- Lawrence (part)

http://binged.it/1wxp8Ps --- Haverhill (tiny part)

http://binged.it/1wxpfKP --- Lowell

http://binged.it/1AiBkrb --- North Adams.

http://binged.it/10vchAL --- Brayton (North Adams)

These buildings could be modular so that long factories could be used to represent longer mills, which abound in places such as Lawrence and Lowell that have power canals that were used to power the machinery. With these complexes were also machine shops, warehouses of various sizes and styles, power plants that came much later, and even small engine houses for any mill railroads that served the complexes. Sadly, what we have here pales from the full operations that once hired 10's of thousands of people, or whole communities in some places such as Blackinton, Manchester, Lawrence, Lowell, and other cities in the region.

John

@Jcitron
I just found these last night, but look for an Author named Masontaylor. Hes done a series of Modular Brick Factory buildings titled "MLK" With a nomenclature after the initial 3 letters. I'm Downloading now, so no Idea what its like. Hes done a variety of things in this fashion. No Transload warehouses though ; ;.

Falcus

Oh, I also wanted to add to my earlier suggestion, the possibility of adding a Concrete Textured version. Loads of Transload Warehouses are Metal, Loads are Concrete.... Can't go wrong either way, and once the basic box building's are done, all you gotta do is reskin em for tons of additional fun (Read usage).

I also had the thought (Since theres a giant food Distribution Warehouse around here for United Grocers), you could make a simple Large Box Duct Network (Figure 3.5-4ft wide by about 2 ft tall or so, for size). Make one spline + 2 End pieces, one curved down, 1 Straight in to a prospective side of a building, and suddenly you have created yet another way to add another level of detail, and ubiquity to pretty much every industrial or warehouse type building that currently, or could ever be added, to the game. 3 Simple assets (Though with you guys, I'm sure they'd be at your usual level of awsome detail)!

Falcus

@Jcitron
I just found these last night, but look for an Author named Masontaylor. Hes done a series of Modular Brick Factory buildings titled "MLK" With a nomenclature after the initial 3 letters. I'm Downloading now, so no Idea what its like. Hes done a variety of things in this fashion. No Transload warehouses though ; ;.

Falcus

I've used Mason's buildings before. They're a bit small compared to the mills over where I live. The big mills in Lawrence, MA and Manchester, NH respectively were amongst the largest in the world with the American Woolen Company mills on Merrimack Street in Lawrence being the largest wool thread mills in the world. The complex is now doctor's offices and professional companies, all without the unique rail network that used to exist in the mill complex, which I remember being switched by an old B&M SW9 when I was a kid.

I also have some of the mills downloaded as Sketch-up models, but they're too poly heavy, even as cubes, and don't have the proper shading and detail.

John

Something I've done (Am actually still doing) is using Multiples of the same building with clever alignment to accomplish bigger sizes. I've even done this Vertically (Though this is a PITA). Might be worth looking into though. I've been playing Tetris alot Lately in SODO trying to cobble together reasonable representations of the NUMEROUS and exceedingly varied Warehouses in the area.... Maybe have to focus on some of that for the next update I do for my WIP thread..... I'll think about it.

Falcus

Something I've done (Am actually still doing) is using Multiples of the same building with clever alignment to accomplish bigger sizes. I've even done this Vertically (Though this is a PITA). Might be worth looking into though. I've been playing Tetris alot Lately in SODO trying to cobble together reasonable representations of the NUMEROUS and exceedingly varied Warehouses in the area.... Maybe have to focus on some of that for the next update I do for my WIP thread..... I'll think about it.

Falcus

Done the same. It is a PITA! Placing them at angles and fitting them together so they don't float on bumpy terrain and so that windows don't stick out where they're not to is also tiresome especially when there are large areas to fill with mills.

I'd love to see this building done in Trainz. It's the Frost Bank Tower in Austin, TX. It would be a challenge, but love how it looks. Maybe the most recognizable building in the ATX skyline. Pics (all from Google, credits to owners):

57241e6a0ceec4fc76cec7ba97b9dc1d.jpg
[/URL]
09ecdfba52a8e634caec6ccdc126a721.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
Back