Ben Neal / Subpar Productions

frogpipe

Yesterdayz Trainz Member
Has Ben Neal "left the building" so to speak? I tried the email addy at his Subpar Productions site, but haven't had a reply. I sent the mail somewhere around a week ago.

Tried searching here but only turn up references to his locomotives, not the man himself.

TIA

Well, he posted
I've been meaning to write a new license. Maybe something like:

This content is free to use and modify for noncommercial use. No part of any asset may be used in any commercial product. For freeware modifications, credit Ben Neal for the original mesh and texture and upload to the Auran Download Station or TPR Download Depot - no permission is required.
So that, in effect, answers what my email was about - releasing my rekin of his 4-4-0 as M&Pa #6. He cites the problems with aliasing, which I do as well. It simply wouldn't work and kept using the original textures.

This also clears the way for my having used a different sound files and changes to the smoke that take advantage of new options in later versions of Trainz.

So, I'll start testing to make sure it's DLS ready - and we'll see where we go.

Bill69, I saw in the other thread that you were involved in some enginespec discussions, I also think you've release some reskins of Ben's locos that are on the DLS. Any words of wisdom on the 4-4-0 light Baldwin? I've only run her on DCC to date.

BTW - M&Pa #6 was actually a Richmond (Alco) 4-4-0, but since there are none for Trainz and the Baldwin was very very similar I used it as a stand in.

Snip

Bill69, I saw in the other thread that you were involved in some enginespec discussions, I also think you've release some reskins of Ben's locos that are on the DLS. Any words of wisdom on the 4-4-0 light Baldwin? I've only run her on DCC to date.

BTW - M&Pa #6 was actually a Richmond (Alco) 4-4-0, but since there are none for Trainz and the Baldwin was very very similar I used it as a stand in.

Hi frogpipe,

Yes I have done quite a few of Ben's locos and uploaded them. I have given them all a trainz-build 2.9, they all have the new tags required for TS12 but they can be used in TRS2009 or TS2010. The engine specs need to be modified so the new sounds can be used, the bogeys have to be modified to syncronise the sound with the cylinders. You may also get an error about a texture black missing in one of the bogeys, it is an invisible bogey and can be replaced with the built in invisible bogey kuid:-10:149. If you need help with the engine spec drop me a PM and I can explain the functions to you or do an engine spec for you. You might also have to replace the cab as some of Ben's cabs will not work in TS12.

Cheers,
Bill69

Last edited:
Well, last time I heard from Ben, he has been busy with school. Seeing how his website is still up, it tells me that he is still with Trainz one way or another.

Hi frogpipe,

Yes I have done quite a few of Ben's locos and uploaded them. I have given them all a trainz-build 2.9, they all have the new tags required for TS12 but they can be used in TRS2009 or TS2010. The engine specs need to be modified so the new sounds can be used, the bogeys have to be modified to syncronise the sound with the cylinders. You may also get an error about a texture black missing in one of the bogeys, it is an invisible bogey and can be replaced with the built in invisible bogey kuid:-10:149. If you need help with the engine spec drop me a PM and I can explain the functions to you or do an engine spec for you. You might also have to replace the cab as some of Ben's cabs will not work in TS12.

Cheers,
Bill69

Looks like you already did the 4-4-0, how about we keep things simple? May I use your remix of Ben Neal's 4-4-0 for my reskin? Should be just a matter of cloning yours and moving the textures into it's folder.

Hi frogpipe,

Yep, no problem another version is quite ok. BTW although they are in the black pages as TR2009 versions they are actually updated to TS12 specs.

Cheers,
Bill69

Hi frogpipe,

You're right. I didn't check in the post above, but now after checking I find I have not done the 4-4-0. I'll get on to it now.

Cheers,
Bill69.

p.s. Which 4-4-0 do you want? I have the gold spike set, is it in there?

Bill69

Last edited:
So you got it all updated and coordinated and all that? WOW, that was fast. Thanks a ton - props to you in the credits of course!

Good morning frogpipe,

The Baldwin 4-4-0 has been checked now and is in the waiting area, which means it should be available within 24hrs.
I had to replace the cab because although it works ok in DCC mode I could not feed coal or water to the boiler in cab mode.
I have used a cab that is a built in item.

Cheers,
Bill69

Last edited:
Hi frogpipe,

Ben's modern 4-4-0 has been taken over by the Clinchfield line and assigned to the track maintenance crew.

modern_4-4-0.jpg

Cheers,

Bill69

Back