Trainz: A New Era Pre-Orders Have Now Arrived! - Visit our Information Page to find out more.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Neal / Subpar Productions

United States of America, California, Burbank
    Blog Entries

Default Ben Neal / Subpar Productions

Has Ben Neal "left the building" so to speak? I tried the email addy at his Subpar Productions site, but haven't had a reply. I sent the mail somewhere around a week ago.

Tried searching here but only turn up references to his locomotives, not the man himself.

TIA

I haven't received a reply to my last email, either. Maybe real life has taken over. I dunno.

Blog Entries

I think this is the last post by Ben Neal.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showt...rsion/page2#48

Cheers,
    Bill69
    Last edited by Bill69; November 6th, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
    If you are going to try cross-country skiing,
    Start with a small country.

Blog Entries

Well, he posted
    I've been meaning to write a new license. Maybe something like:

This content is free to use and modify for noncommercial use. No part of any asset may be used in any commercial product. For freeware modifications, credit Ben Neal for the original mesh and texture and upload to the Auran Download Station or TPR Download Depot - no permission is required.
    So that, in effect, answers what my email was about - releasing my rekin of his 4-4-0 as M&Pa #6. He cites the problems with aliasing, which I do as well. It simply wouldn't work and kept using the original textures.

This also clears the way for my having used a different sound files and changes to the smoke that take advantage of new options in later versions of Trainz.

So, I'll start testing to make sure it's DLS ready - and we'll see where we go.

Bill69, I saw in the other thread that you were involved in some enginespec discussions, I also think you've release some reskins of Ben's locos that are on the DLS. Any words of wisdom on the 4-4-0 light Baldwin? I've only run her on DCC to date.

BTW - M&Pa #6 was actually a Richmond (Alco) 4-4-0, but since there are none for Trainz and the Baldwin was very very similar I used it as a stand in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frogpipe View Post
    Snip

Bill69, I saw in the other thread that you were involved in some enginespec discussions, I also think you've release some reskins of Ben's locos that are on the DLS. Any words of wisdom on the 4-4-0 light Baldwin? I've only run her on DCC to date.

BTW - M&Pa #6 was actually a Richmond (Alco) 4-4-0, but since there are none for Trainz and the Baldwin was very very similar I used it as a stand in.

Hi frogpipe,

Yes I have done quite a few of Ben's locos and uploaded them. I have given them all a trainz-build 2.9, they all have the new tags required for TS12 but they can be used in TRS2009 or TS2010. The engine specs need to be modified so the new sounds can be used, the bogeys have to be modified to syncronise the sound with the cylinders. You may also get an error about a texture black missing in one of the bogeys, it is an invisible bogey and can be replaced with the built in invisible bogey kuid:-10:149. If you need help with the engine spec drop me a PM and I can explain the functions to you or do an engine spec for you. You might also have to replace the cab as some of Ben's cabs will not work in TS12.

Cheers,
    Bill69
    Last edited by Bill69; November 6th, 2012 at 04:00 AM.

United States of America, Texas, Driftwood

Well, last time I heard from Ben, he has been busy with school. Seeing how his website is still up, it tells me that he is still with Trainz one way or another.

(Credits to 2train)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill69 View Post
    Hi frogpipe,

Yes I have done quite a few of Ben's locos and uploaded them. I have given them all a trainz-build 2.9, they all have the new tags required for TS12 but they can be used in TRS2009 or TS2010. The engine specs need to be modified so the new sounds can be used, the bogeys have to be modified to syncronise the sound with the cylinders. You may also get an error about a texture black missing in one of the bogeys, it is an invisible bogey and can be replaced with the built in invisible bogey kuid:-10:149. If you need help with the engine spec drop me a PM and I can explain the functions to you or do an engine spec for you. You might also have to replace the cab as some of Ben's cabs will not work in TS12.

Cheers,
    Bill69
    Looks like you already did the 4-4-0, how about we keep things simple? May I use your remix of Ben Neal's 4-4-0 for my reskin? Should be just a matter of cloning yours and moving the textures into it's folder.

Blog Entries

Hi frogpipe,

Yep, no problem another version is quite ok. BTW although they are in the black pages as TR2009 versions they are actually updated to TS12 specs.

Cheers,
    Bill69

Blog Entries

Odd. I don't see a 4-4-0 from you on the DLS. Could have sworn there was one...

Blog Entries

Hi frogpipe,

You're right. I didn't check in the post above, but now after checking I find I have not done the 4-4-0. I'll get on to it now.

Cheers,
    Bill69.

p.s. Which 4-4-0 do you want? I have the gold spike set, is it in there?

Bill69
    Last edited by Bill69; November 12th, 2012 at 08:40 PM.

Blog Entries

No it's his "Modern" one. http://www.steammachine.com/bdaneal/...8/blw_merc.cdp The "lighter" one of the two in that pack.

Cab seems to work ok, though I haven't tried to "mouse" any of the levers.

Blog Entries

Just downloaded, will have a look at it now.

Cheers,
    Bill69

Blog Entries

Hi frogpipe,

I have uploaded Ben's Baldwin Modern 4-4-0 and tender. Should be available soon. With this one I have not cloned the bogeys, you will have to download the bogeys from Ben's site SubparProductions. here is the link, http://www.steammachine.com/bdaneal/sgdl.htm

Cheers,
    Bill69
    Last edited by Bill69; November 13th, 2012 at 06:27 AM.

Blog Entries

So you got it all updated and coordinated and all that? WOW, that was fast. Thanks a ton - props to you in the credits of course!