Very important question for serious route builders concerning trees:

Euphod

No Friend requests please
Please assume for a moment that you were going to decorate your route with trees, and you were not going to use Speed Trees, and you were not going to use Camera facing trees. Having made the decision to use 'bill board' or 'cross' trees in Trainz 12, which would you choose from the two trees below, the one on the right, or the left? It's very important to get good information on this question, at least to me. Thank you in advance.

64884fb165ef9a9e721014e4a7984e79.jpg

Ed I would choose the darker one on the left. The one on the right looks like one of those semitransparent trees that look awful against the sky.
Gordon

I loved Trunda's trees. Unfortunately, they ghosted out into the trees on the right when I upgraded to TS10, which was what necessitated the move to speedtrees. My vote goes to the tree on the left. Sounds like Ed's Landscaping is getting ready to open for business!

Let us not assume too much, but I have learned a thing or three about the blended alphas since I've been working with Gary's old mesh that he made for me, and I'm doing some experimenting, that's all. Thanks for your input, I hope I get more.

Likewise the one on the left, good luck!
I've tried every conceivable billboard tree there is and maybe I found maybe a few of Dave Drakes perfect series that are just usable close up in 2010 after tweaking the alpha to pure black and white. Haven't bothered repeating the exercise in TS12 as it took me a week to go through them all.

Yes, you can find a tree that looks ok until the light starts changing so check them from all angles and varying lighting.

Until pofig came along I was stuffed Tree wise on my route as most of the available SpeedTrees apart from those poor excuses for elms that N3V supplied, were far too large for the route I'm doing, where as Trundra's now redundant trees were perfect, now of course as pofig has gone into hibernation we don't know how long they are going to be available for or if we can get permission to produce a pack of ones used on a route either.

Ed: The darker one on the left shows up better either in daylight or at night..I believe I would choose that one..

Good morning Ed, Ning says wazz up

Morning Ed,

This morning is one of those days of a handful a year I look at the forum in more detail and stumble on this one...... I am not sure i am qualified to answer...by the way we have nice slow rain now for 2 days super soft and temps of 28- even 26C lower 80ies at night what a spoil for summer here! Ning says big hello to dear Ed and run of the wet road to the village like every early morning to buy stuff and visit family.
Djoetje the deer sit on the sofa/rock like always looking from the living straight to me into my kitchen hall office and his eyes say its good complete peaceful even on a distance of more than 18 mtr haha.
OK back to the answer if you qualify me as insane route builder i/o/ serious i would not feel offended and answer your cry out for help!!
With all due respect to all tree builders and as much as I love many trees these artists produce I think truly over the years I have seen more trees than you guys all together(not meant wrong) and from any angle, aspect, distance, computer impact you name it.
the truth is simple for me billboard still is 2D and not faster than a good ST, camera fcing ones looks fast but for the trained eye it follows you and till reminds of a 2D looking 3D like the grass lumps I use along tracks (the only place these things fit low not offending just touch )
If you want to use billboard trees because of performance get yourself an SSD and the world will change for sure. Also most important is how you arrange place and move your ST (pofigs only) around your little world. I think I can safely say that in my (almost) real 3D world the tress do very well and you can walk around taking shots on eye level without hesitation no need to check 2D interference of trees alike even closeup in trees most times.
The countdown has started on my stuff and the route will reveal its real secrets kept so well for years and a 50 minutes short(haha) movie will mesmerize you too as it does me and Ning of what can be achieved with N3V TS12 (no kidding this time despite nasty little critter bugs following me from older versions and the latter one).
Back to your choice the left one look safer.
BTW the only 2D I use are great trainz artist DMdrake's dead trees and they do very well for being an old 2D tree not changed over the years at all.
Ed i sincerely hope its a performance problem and than an SSD is the only thing you need right now.
I see I talk to much so the left one is good to go for you.

have a great night and don't dream of pofig trees now.

warmest regards

Ning n Roy:wave:

Thanks Roy, and give my warm regards to Ning.
This isn't an issue with performance, I just wanted opinions, and those I have received.
I'm still waiting for the list I asked you for with regards to snow, but I find ways to spend my time, so when ever you're ready.

This is a vote for the tree on the left. The one on the right just doesn't look like a tree to me, but that's purely subjective.

Bernie

I'm with the majority. The tree on the left. Roy very seldom gives a short answer but at least you know where he's coming from.

Let us not assume too much, but I have learned a thing or three about the blended alphas since I've been working with Gary's old mesh that he made for me, and I'm doing some experimenting, that's all. Thanks for your input, I hope I get more.

I know better than to assume! I know you've been pushing out some great content. I wish you luck if you decide to continue with this endeavor. Trees, in all their infinite variety, will keep you busy for a good long time. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.... good luck!

I thought I send a list, sorry I have to check again but let's wait till my stuff hits the real world than we can see what makes most sense first.
If you want to make some new trees other than ST tech based I cannot help you that much as time is your enemy with regards to progress and options on future and existing N3V releases.
If you really want to go into trees kind of stuff one that is most missing is a St based tree in various heights is DMdrake's dead tree 18a 20m but than in various heights looks and feels and stumps. the next step is if you ready for this is real snow based stuff but that is for most people out of this world for the moment I know. I would if I had time but I have to make choices, routes or objects and new stuff not seen yet......
@stouthm today i was just in the mood to share in depth details of my experience and when I see people go back in time like redeveloping a T Ford I get kind of excited to whisper in the best case NOOOOooooooooo...OMG lol
BTW the end of this week Dinorius_Redundicus is visiting Thailand and we will spent some time and we show him hidden treasures in Thailand where tourist normally not go AND yes he is the first trainzer friend who will judge my routes before release...so kind of very excited and nervous too even thought I know nothing wrong and healthy critics I must accept and learn from how hard it sometimes might sound.
ya'll have a nice week.

regards

Ning n Roy:wave:

This is a vote for the tree on the left. The one on the right just doesn't look like a tree to me, but that's purely subjective. Bernie

They are both the same tree, and thanks for your vote.

I'm with the majority. The tree on the left. Roy very seldom gives a short answer but at least you know where he's coming from.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

I know better than to assume! I know you've been pushing out some great content. I wish you luck if you decide to continue with this endeavor. Trees, in all their infinite variety, will keep you busy for a good long time. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.... good luck!

Thank you for the kind words, we'll see how this venture turns out.

Left one.​iouy

Right. I mean "left"! Thanks for the opinion.

Ive tried using the ones on the right and although they look better close up, they are not so good from a distance. My wife who is not a computer person when she looked at them said it looked like a ghost forest so I ended up adding some of the type on the left to make it more substantial.

Ive tried using the ones on the right and although they look better close up, they are not so good from a distance. My wife who is not a computer person when she looked at them said it looked like a ghost forest so I ended up adding some of the type on the left to make it more substantial.

I'll count that as a vote for "left" then. Thanks!

Back