Steamshots USA..Lets See Some Steam Shots..

Yeah, it is bitter. Because every few days or so someone comes up and says "OOOOH where can u get dat 844 can u send it 2 me NOW" or "844 will get release WHEN" and it's ANNOYING.

I don't want this to sound rude. (But is might.) but, the last time I checked, this thread was not labeled "The Gimme-Piggest Haters thread." It is labeled "Steam Shots USA... Lets see some steam shots." So please, either make a new gimme-pig haters thread or please post constructive, (not rude!) posts. Also, being polite can go a long way. HOWEVER, I do agree that people constantly posting posts like "Hey, that's a really nice engine you got there, can you send it to me?" gets really old. SO, perhaps, as a small suggestion, they could just simply send a Private message instead of posting it in the forum???

GS-4 #4444 hauls an SP special down Union Pacific trackage.

Just a quick reskin based off photos I found online. If anyone has more information on this paint scheme for the GS-4 with the Cab and tender daylight I would be interested to learn about it, as I couldn't find anything else.

5131197e8f0f638ef196e9dd11a2b96b.jpg

I must say I am confused as to the furor over this skin...Certainly the unstreamlined Daylight scheme looks good; however, as far as Daylightrain's skins go, it's really quite unremarkable. His work on the Big Boy, Challenger and heavy Mikados have taken older models much farther...by comparison, this skin only involves meshing together two existing liveries...Not to belittle his work, but his other projects deserve much more attention for the effort they have taken.

GS-4 #4444 hauls an SP special down Union Pacific trackage.

Just a quick reskin based off photos I found online. If anyone has more information on this paint scheme for the GS-4 with the Cab and tender daylight I would be interested to learn about it, as I couldn't find anything else.
Although I have never found any evidence of this paint scheme on the 4-8-4's, the SP did use it on 5 MT-4 class 4-8-2's for use on the San Joaquin Daylight.
For reference: http://southernpacificlines.tumblr.com/image/143343713470
I also have found no evidence that it is known as the Shasta Daylight scheme, especially since the Shasta Daylight used diesels for power from day one.
The GS locomotives (excluding the GS-1's and 6's through 8's) lost their daylight paint about the same time as the side skirts. The photos I have found show they lost the paint first, being repainted into SP standard black with a chrome smokebox.
For reference: http://southernpacificlines.tumblr.com/image/148775510205
While I will admit I am not a SP expert, and that I would not be surprised if somebody has found evidence to contradict me, this is the best information I can furnish. I did put a bit of research in before making this post.

I must say I am confused as to the furor over this skin...Certainly the unstreamlined Daylight scheme looks good; however, as far as Daylightrain's skins go, it's really quite unremarkable. His work on the Big Boy, Challenger and heavy Mikados have taken older models much farther...by comparison, this skin only involves meshing together two existing liveries...Not to belittle his work, but his other projects deserve much more attention for the effort they have taken.

Yeah I literally cloned the Black GS-4 and copied the cab textures over with a little cut out of orange for the side skirts at the rear. It took less than 10 minutes to do, and I slapped on some darker grey drivers I reskined previously.

Although I have never found any evidence of this paint scheme on the 4-8-4's, the SP did use it on 5 MT-4 class 4-8-2's for use on the San Joaquin Daylight.
For reference: http://southernpacificlines.tumblr.com/image/143343713470
I also have found no evidence that it is known as the Shasta Daylight scheme, especially since the Shasta Daylight used diesels for power from day one.
The GS locomotives (excluding the GS-1's and 6's through 8's) lost their daylight paint about the same time as the side skirts. The photos I have found show they lost the paint first, being repainted into SP standard black with a chrome smokebox.
For reference: http://southernpacificlines.tumblr.com/image/148775510205
While I will admit I am not a SP expert, and that I would not be surprised if somebody has found evidence to contradict me, this is the best information I can furnish. I did put a bit of research in before making this post.

I knew about the MT-4 Mountains, shame the K&L Trainz one isn't reskin friendly. I do want to clean it up and make a standard black version though with phototexturing if possible.

Here's the photo I referenced. As far as the website goes, It says the locomotives only wore it in the 50s. Quite odd that not many know about this obscure paint scheme for locomotives that are so well known.

The link: http://www.keymodels.net/id22.html About halfway down.

I will say I am suprised how much of a conversation my little reskin caused. Its entertaining :p

gs-4-4.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I literally cloned the Black GS-4 and copied the cab textures over with a little cut out of orange for the side skirts at the rear. It took less than 10 minutes to do, and I slapped on some darker grey drivers I reskined previously...
...Here's the photo I referenced. As far as the website goes, It says the locomotives only wore it in the 50s. Quite odd that not many know about this obscure paint scheme for locomotives that are so well known.

The link: http://www.keymodels.net/id22.html About halfway down.

I will say I am suprised how much of a conversation my little reskin caused. Its entertaining :p
Good pics! Whenever I see them I wish we had skirt-less GS-4s in Trainz (or Railworks for that matter, but the Trainz model is better lol). Mind you, it would probably be a lot more trouble than it's worth but if you photo-textured one of these, that could really be worth the conversation...;) Whatever the case, keep enjoying yourself, and good job taking the clever way about this skin.

This would have been during the quite odd period of time for the 4-8-4's. SP was making changes to them whenever it was convenient. Some would loose the skirts, then the paint. Others, the other way around. Kudos to you for finding a picture. I sure as heck couldn't. At the time all of this was going on, 12 locomotives were left with full streamlining and daylight paint for hauling passenger trains. (10 GS-4s and the 2 GS-5s)

I think it actually would be possible to remove the skirts from lilb's gs-4. With some well placed alpha texturing you might be able to do it.

ATSF Blue Goose #3460 Chief 1938

CB&Q S4a Aeolus #4000 Power Zephyr

NYC 20th Century Limited Dreyfuss Hudson 5453

NYC Empire State Express Hudson 5426

NYC Mercury Pacific #4917

NYC James Whitcomb Riley #4915

Seaboard Air Lines P-1 #868

Did you make those yourself? If so, COOL! However, I personally think that they do not look complete yet. Am I right? As a suggestion, you could use "Alpha texturing to get rid of the pieces of the loco you do not want.

Last edited:
Back