New driver command available on DLS

trev999

Hi Guys - A new command "Layer Control" is now available. It allows the train driver to change layers from visible to invisible and back dynamically in Driver mode.

Thanks to Alan of Lots_Trains for the idea and to Pierre Guy for bringing to my attention the script methods to implement it.

Could you please contribute your thoughts on how you would use this command.

Cheers - Trevor

It sounds like it could be a real help for those designing sessions, thanks for the effort!

Now that's a weird rule, quirky almost. A bit star trecky, you could have called it Cloaked Mode.
So, if you have a cornfield meet put one consist in "cloaked mode" and your sorted or am I missing the point. Is it still there in reality just invisible.
The other idea was it would help the people who put consists on a hidden layer, or not.
I guess you need 2 session layers to use this or does it use the route layer?

Hi Trevor,

I've just downloaded this and installed it in TS2010 and TS12 without any problems. It is certainly an interesting feature. It has more effect on a route with multiple layers, for example TransDEM layers. I think that if a route builder used multiple layers to separate different aspects of the route then this could be a very useful tool to troubleshoot problems. Thanks for giving it to us.

Neil

Thanks for the feedback, Guys. I did an experiment of putting two trains on their own layers but although one is hidden it is still on the track and it's presence can be detected by the smoke and the fact that the background still moves, even if the track is invisible.

The command can control any layer, session or route. As has been reported before, sometimes a vehicle is located on a hidden layer that cannot be found. I doubt whether this command will help here but it might.

The original reason for creating the command was to solve a problem where a route is so complex that it slows the computer down. By switching off some scenery such as trees the load is lightened.

An idea that is in the back of my mind is to simulate a landslide, fallen tree or broken bridge by putting part of the track on a second route layer and switching it off at some random time, similar to what happens in Railroad Tycoon. A loco lurking in the background could be responsible for initiating all sorts of mayhem. Experiments show that although the track and trackside objects are invisible they are still active and an AI train will happily navigate to a hidden trackmark on hidden track.

Lets have some more creative ideas please.

Cheers - Trevor

I did see this yesterday and could not figure out what it was supposed to do.
How and why would you swap layers in driver mode?
I thought that when your in driver mode that the route and layers become one and your virtual world comes to life, unchangeable until you return to surveyor mode.
It must be an age thing with me, I never did quite get the hang of this layers thing and now it seems even more complex. :eek:

I did see this yesterday and could not figure out what it was supposed to do.
How and why would you swap layers in driver mode?
I thought that when your in driver mode that the route and layers become one and your virtual world comes to life, unchangeable until you return to surveyor mode.
It must be an age thing with me, I never did quite get the hang of this layers thing and now it seems even more complex. :eek:

Tell me about it deaon5....If I have to ask every time what's this and what' s that I won't have time to play trainz I will be asking all day...:confused: But we learn..slowly...

The original reason for creating the command was to solve a problem where a route is so complex that it slows the computer down. By switching off some scenery such as trees the load is lightened.

Lets have some more creative ideas please.

Cheers - Trevor

Now the light bulb gets brighter.
So whereas 20 AI's would bring your average computer to it's knees, with this rule you could have say 10 visible and 10 not, insert the command in the schedule (using the schedule library) and each consist will appear/disappear at certain points on the route.
I presume the driver stays in the list so if he/she gets stuck you can locate them, make them appear and sort the issue out?
Couple the rule with sniper297's idea for static stock which unless coupled to a loco has little effect on frame rates (in effect they are scenery until triggered by a loco) and the possibilities are almost endless.

Hello trev999

You said:''I did an experiment of putting two trains on their own layers but although one is hidden it is still on the track and it's presence can be detected by the smoke and the fact that the background still moves, even if the track is invisible. .......The command can control any layer, session or route.....The original reason for creating the command was to solve a problem where a route is so complex that it slows the computer down. By switching off some scenery such as trees the load is lightened...........An idea that is in the back of my mind is to simulate a landslide, fallen tree or broken bridge by putting part of the track on a second route layer and switching it off at some random time.........Experiments show that although the track and trackside objects are invisible they are still active and an AI train will happily navigate to a hidden trackmark on hidden track.''

If i understand correct, your rule is useful, if route or session already have more then one layer?

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

My original idea for this was to ease the frame rate in driver when the puter was getting bogged down with to many trains.

My scenery is split into several layers, ie Trees, split into 3 layers so each layer making the scenery denser, Same for buildings and roads, When I only have 2 or 3 trains on the map I turn all the eye candy on, but when I have 20 trains on the map and things are bit clunky I turn off a few layers mking it smoother until the trains have left the map and then I can turn the eye candy back on.

Cheers Lots

Last edited:
Hi celje - Yes, there would need to be more than just a route layer and a session layer. Hiding the main route or session layer would not make sense unless you were just playing around. I don't realy know what other Trainz users will do with this command, but I am sure it will be of some use.

One idea would be in the case where a city is heavily built up and the rolling stock is difficult to find when it is hidden by buildings. If the buildings are all on a separate route layer then they can be temporarily hidden to make it easier to see the tracks and the rolling stock.

Cheers - Trevor

One idea would be in the case where a city is heavily built up and the rolling stock is difficult to find when it is hidden by buildings. If the buildings are all on a separate route layer then they can be temporarily hidden to make it easier to see the tracks and the rolling stock.

Yes, it's the good example of the possible use. Next is, made two session layers with different numbers of trains or , very interesting, the different rules/commands in different layers for AI trains. Of course some tests must be made, if it's really possible.

regards

Last edited:
G'day All, this could be used quite affectively in a marz or moonz based route/session bringing craft in from deep space to land on your space port.
Regards
Barrie

Thanks for the comments, Guys.

@ celje and fran1: Experiments prove that although a layer is invisible the trains and commands are still active and it is possible to have a cornfield meet between two invisible trains on invisible track. This is disappointing as I was hoping that the hidden assets would not be in the game at all.

In all probability, speedtrees will still place a load on the system when invisible. Can someone try this out?

@ gremlin1812: As fran1 said, "cloaked mode", where a space craft goes into warp after takeoff.

Trevor

You could also set the route up into sections, so as the train you're driving is in a section, and then it bleeps the bleeper that changes/shows another layer visible. Which would allow supersmooth running

Jamie

Back