The Seaford Rail Extension in South Australia

shadowarrior

N3V Games
The Seaford Rail Extension in South Australia
by Rob Shaw (Rob)

In a state where railway closures have become more common than expansion, construction of a 5.7 kilometre, dual track extension of South Australia's Adelaide to Noarlunga line is steadily taking shape. Federal funding of $291 million was contributed to the project and major construction commenced in January 2011.

Three newly completed road bridges now convey traffic over the future right of way, and a 1.2km viaduct over the Onkaparinga River valley will soon displace the Algebuckina bridge in the state's north as South Australia's longest railway bridge; and will be 200m longer than the Swanport Bridge which carries Highway 1 over the River Murray.

Twenty one concrete spans are being fabricated on site and pushed into position from each end using steel launching noses christened by students from the local Noarlunga Downs Primary School. The "Silva Snozzle Bright" works away from the southern abutment, while "Bluey Bluey Bignose" eases out the spans which reach from the northern side of the tidal estuary.

South of the viaduct tracks return to the alignment of the former Willunga branch, which was closed from Hallet Cove onwards in 1969 and perhaps prematurely dismantled in 1972.

In 2009, the state government began undertaking the biggest rehabilitation of the state's broad gauge commuter network since the "Webb era" of the 1920's. Redevelopement has seen Adelaide's metropolitan lines relaid with improved roadbed and drainage, gauge convertible concrete sleepers, and upgrades to several stations. Plans include the installation of 25kV AC power systems on all but the Belair line, where tunnel clearances cannot accommodate overhead electrification.

Work on the Seaford extension is expected to be complete in 2013, coinciding with the completion of the Noarlunga line's overhead electrification. A new railcar depot under construction south of the Onkaparinga River will service the state's first electric trains, and the Noarlunga to Seaford section will be used for commissioning and testing of the system prior to opening for revenue service.

Yup, been watching its progress as it goes along. Being I live a spit from it :) My kids are looking forward to going on a train ride when the line finally opens.

Cheers

Trent

...just a shame they've deferred the electrification of the rest of the network. No sign of them deferring (almost) $1bn worth of urban freeways...

Paul

Images look great. My Dad is a driver for Adelaide Metro and he thinks that the government is waiting to see how the economy does before they begin the electrification of the Gawler Line. He also says that there is land reserved for an extension to Aldinga and maybe Victor Harbour, although that would take years and billions of billions of dollars. I have seen the Seaford Depot progress and it looks magnificent. Seaford Meadows and Seaford Station are coming along nicely and Seaford Station is one of the best looking stations I've seen. Really as soon as the Seaford Line is done, Gawler gets finished, maybe Outer Harbour, Grange and Tonsley, Adelaide will have one of the public railway systems in Australia. Can't wait.

Images look great. My Dad is a driver for Adelaide Metro and he thinks that the government is waiting to see how the economy does before they begin the electrification of the Gawler Line. He also says that there is land reserved for an extension to Aldinga and maybe Victor Harbour, although that would take years and billions of billions of dollars. I have seen the Seaford Depot progress and it looks magnificent. Seaford Meadows and Seaford Station are coming along nicely and Seaford Station is one of the best looking stations I've seen. Really as soon as the Seaford Line is done, Gawler gets finished, maybe Outer Harbour, Grange and Tonsley, Adelaide will have one of the public railway systems in Australia. Can't wait.

That's a pretty positive spin to put on the current backtracking, bearing in mind what was promised in the first place. I'm just disappointed that the majority of the cuts to the transport budget fell on public transport. Once all of the above is complete we'll still have a railway worse than Brisbane, Perth, Melbourne and Sydney, but better than Canberra and Hobart.

I think one day to Aldinga might happen one day - most of the trackbed is still there as cycle path. Victor Harbor is another matter, as the original line went via Mount Barker and Goolwa. It would be VERY expensive to build a new line across the hills...

Paul

I think one day to Aldinga might happen one day - most of the trackbed is still there as cycle path. Victor Harbor is another matter, as the original line went via Mount Barker and Goolwa. It would be VERY expensive to build a new line across the hills...

I wouldn't be surprised if an extension to Aldinga is announced a few years after Seaford opens. If they went to Victor, they would have to go around the coast, building bridges, tunnels. It would cost billions. Might be done in the next 100 years. I would love to see it, but the government and money involved with public rail in Adelaide doesn't seem to work together.

Regular Updates

The folks who live in the other hemisphere (northern) wouldgreatly appreciate regular pictorial updates if possible.
Thank you, John

Its a great sign that they have taken some bold steps to expand the trains network otherwise trains are losing the charm all over the world....

Back