So you think you know about Trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowarrior

N3V Games
Welcome to the Trains Trivia of the Week thread.

Every Wednesday we will ask you a question here related to trains, and you will have a week to answer the question. Next Wednesday, we will update the previous week's answer and put in a new question again. You can use this thread to discuss your answers.

If you have a trivia question which you want to be featured in this section, email it through to trainznews@n3vgames.com along with the answer.

So you are a ferroequinologist......right? :)

Last week's answer:

The Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ) began operating it’s Blue Comet service in February 1929.

This week's question:
As part of the 75th anniversary celebrations for Mallard’s setting of the record for fastest steam locomotive, two A4 locomotives will return to the United Kingdom for the celbrations. What are the names and numbers of these locomotives, and where are they coming from?

Last edited by a moderator:
1854, when the first steam railway between Melbourne and Port Melbourne started.

Bob (CRO)

1854 September 12th
Melbourne & Hobsons Bay railway with a locally constructed locomotive

Dave

The first railway to operate in Australia was a locally manufactured steam locomotive, which ran from Flinders Street Melbourne in Victoria to Sandridge (Port Melbourne) on 12th September 1854.

Roy B

On June 1, 1999 Conrail was split between Norfolk Southern and CSX. 42 percent to CSX and 58 percent to Norfolk Southern.

On June 1, 1999 Conrail was split between Norfolk Southern and CSX. 42 percent to CSX and 58 percent to Norfolk Southern.

It would help if you actually read the opening post :eek:.

As to the question in hand, I concur with Bob (CRO), I have the same info.

I would agree with all the posts of our learned experts from Australia, in other words, I couldn't find anything on t'internet to contradict their claim.......:hehe:

cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Good answer guys :)
As identified by a lot of users here, last week's answer was: 12th of September 1854 between Melbourne (Flinders Street) and Sandridge (now Port Melbourne) in Victoria (Australia).

Will be updating the first post soon with this week's question.

What is the function of the ‘regulator’ in a steam locomotive?
Hmm, the regulator is the device situated in the steamengine cabin that can set the regulator valve. This valve, most of the time, is situated on top of the kettle in a so called steam dome. The valve regulates the amount of steam that passes from its collection point the dome, to, depending on the type of engine, either a superheater first, or the steamchest directly.

Greetings from nighttime Amsterdam,

Jan

Correct. :)

The function of the ‘regulator’ is to regulate the amount of steam being supplied to the ‘steam chest’. This then goes to the cyinders via the valves, which control the timing and amount of steam permitted into the cylinders.

Loco anti skid
Used to control & maintain brake pressure by exhausting when req'd on long down grades when in dynamic braking to stop wheel slip

Welcome to the Trains Trivia of the Week thread.

Every Wednesday we will ask you a question here related to trains, and you will have a week to answer the question. Next Wednesday, we will update the previous week's answer and put in a new question again. You can use this thread to discuss your answers.

If you have a trivia question which you want to be featured in this section, email it through to trainznews@n3vgames.com along with the answer.

So you are a ferroequinologist......right? :)

Last week's answer:

The function of the 'regulator' is to regulate the amount of steam being supplied to the 'steam chest'. This then goes to the cylinders via the valves, which control the timing and amount of steam permitted into the cylinders.

This week's question:

What is the function of the 'bail' control/valve on a locomotive?

The Bail Off control releases the brakes on the locomotive. When you use the train brake with a long train it takes a while for the brakes on the cars to come on, the brakes on the locomotive apply much faster. This can cause the weight of the train to push a car near the front of the train into derailment. By releasing (or 'Bailing off') the brakes on the locomotive you release the pressure at the front and let the cars drag the train to a stop from the rear. It's also useful if you need to stop the train while climbing a grade, you want to keep the the train stretched out and avoid 'bunching up' the consist as you go uphill so you would make an application with the train brake and bail off the locomotive. You would also keep some throttle on and as the train is dragged to a stop apply the locomotive brake to full apply some more train brake and cut the power. Same when you start again. Apply power, release the loco brake, bail off, and then release the train brake.

(I took this explanation from http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/archive/index.php/t-188861.html with limited editing; I couldn't quite put my own words to the knowledge!)

is it not to control the speed in which the locomotive keeps a constant speed
You're thinking of the term regulator as it is applied in the US. Stationary steam engines had regulators to maintain a constant speed. Steam locomotives didn't use devices like this. Throttle is the more common name in the US for the device Trainz calls a regulator.

Bob Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back