Eastland Rocket Progress

Don't wanna sound spoiled but I'd love to have more feedback. The more, the merrier. I want to hear what you guys have to say.

Why? You dont seem to use it.

hert:wave:

What??!! Yes I do!! You haven't watched my YouTube video. I used the ballast. Put it on the lowest scale possible. Separated the fields from the tracks by using a different texture!! All suggestions you gave me.

Holding down on the [ or ] PC KB Key while painting textures will smear the checkerboard effect.

Setting the texture Scale to minimum, and radius to a tad more than minimum seems best.

The trees look a bit harsh ... I am sure you will find many other more realistic trees.

Keep on practicing !

Holding down on the [ or ] PC KB Key while painting textures will smear the checkerboard effect.

Setting the texture Scale to minimum, and radius to a tad more than minimum seems best.

The trees look a bit harsh ... I am sure you will find many other more realistic trees.

Keep on practicing !

Any other criticism you'd like to add or any other words of wisdom, thoughts, or suggestions?

kris94201203210003.jpg

kris94201203210004.jpg

kris94201203210005.jpg

​Revising older work. Editing the route to the advice and helpful tips of Hert. I hope this makes you happy. I know it may not be perfect but I hope it's better than before.

The 3 pics by JCitron in post #26 are excellent examples of applying texture. I particularly like the second pic in that post.

Looking to the left of the track I see:

The ballast spills away from the track, but not in a uniform manner.

The green is trying to reclaim.

Textures are blended.

Light and dark textures are used to highlight the terrain.

Some of the textures are blurred, some are small clear splotches.

The many small touches used while applying textures are what make a route which will immerse the player.

The 3 pics by JCitron in post #26 are excellent examples of applying texture. I particularly like the second pic in that post.

Looking to the left of the track I see:

The ballast spills away from the track, but not in a uniform manner.

The green is trying to reclaim.

Textures are blended.

Light and dark textures are used to highlight the terrain.

Some of the textures are blurred, some are small clear splotches.

The many small touches used while applying textures are what make a route which will immerse the player.

So there's some possible flaws?

Well it's 1/4 done. Still have a lot of work left to be done. Not where I want it to be but glad it's not what it used to be. I'll upload the video of the GS-4 4-8-4 #4449 later on today this morning or after I get off work at 4 PM. Also some screenshots of the town Ewart, Eastland. That's what I named it. Well good night people, it's time for me to get some shut eye.... Starting now.

:sleep:

Kris, please take this as constructive criticism as it is intended, but no, it doesn't look real. I've not seen many fields with that checkerboard look. You haven't taken the previous advice and used the [ or ] keys when you lay down your textures. I ususally hold down my [ key down while I'm laying large expanses of texture such as you have there. You also need to mix in some other textures. Get out and look at some landscape and you'll very rarely see a continuous pattern in any real landscape. Nature is varied and thus, textures are varied. It's also very rare to find such large expanses of landscape that are perfectly flat. I'd suggest that you need to add some variation in the height of your landscape.

Remember, it takes practice and patience....and a lot of it.

Mike

Last edited:
So it's not real?

Do you think it looks real Kris? Have a look at the shots I've added below. It's a good example of the standard I (and I suspect many others) expect from one. I've been working on it for over a year and still only have a few miles completed.

I think everyone understands that you have just started but you're being given heaps of advice which it appears you often ignore. The only way you will improve, will be to implement the advice you're given. You need to learn to take criticism and realise that that criticism is usually of the constructive type. For example, rotate your ground textures to make them look more realistic. Hold down [ or ] as you apply the textures. You will see the direction compass will rotate and this will prevent the 'wallpaper' like effect you have on your route. Another good one is not to use a single texture for a huge area. I normally apply a base texture and add some additional textures as you can see from the attached shots.

Kris,

If you can show us a picture from anywhere in the world that looks like any of the shots you've posted, and are able to defend your position based on that photo, then we will rest. However your screens, and route, look nothing like anything in reality. I do not mean to sound harsh, so please do not take this post as such, but as PFX pointed out. Many of us have given you so much advice on how to make these really pop, because you have a wonderful imagination, but you chose to often ignore us, or pretend you implemented what we said. Use pictures from websites, or ones you take yourself for guidance, it's what I did when I first started out.

My .02$

Take care,

Ryan

Now I hope you do realize this isn't a prototype route.

So a quick summary is you want me to rid of the checkerboard textures and create more slopes and less flat lands?

Back