Norfolk Southern Plans Heritage Units!!!

That will be cool if it is true.
My observation on that is that UP did not do it because it WANTED to but did it so it could keep the royalties from there merged railroads.
This may be the case with NS. They may want to do it, but i will also let them keep the royalties from the fallen flags of there past. Like I said just my observation.
Kenny

son of a gun man you beat me to the news!! yea this is true news and i cant believe theyre finally gonna make it! WOOHOO! NOW lets get CSX and BNSF into making a heritage fleet

son of a gun man you beat me to the news!! yea this is true news and i cant believe theyre finally gonna make it! WOOHOO! NOW lets get CSX and BNSF into making a heritage fleet

I agree be nice to see seaboard paint scheme and Chessie colors :)

Beattie, those roads are of the CSXT heritage.

Norfolk southern picked up the Baltimore and Ohio lines; including some chessie units. I was disappointed to not see chessie as well, but im happy to see NW blue locomotives.

But there were railroads that made up csx today. Seaboard merged with Chessie and then Chessie became csx. I believe then in 1996 when conrail spilt with csx and ns. I mean I would see some heritage colors of the railroads that make up csx today just like ns is doing.

Norfolk southern picked up the Baltimore and Ohio lines; including some chessie units. I was disappointed to not see chessie as well, but im happy to see NW blue locomotives.

No. they did not.

Chessie is CSX.

B&O+C&O+PM+WM = Chessie System

ACL+SAL = SCL

SCL+Monon+L&N+Clinchfield+West Point = Seaboard System

Chessie+Seaboard = CSX (C and S in the name)

add a little Conrail and there you go.

@norfolksouthern37 I do have to say, you might wanna hold off on your line of heritage units for NS now at Jointed Rail.

Ambitious program planned, so I'm sure there's a profit motive somewhere. Probably the case of the copyrights and royalties, as has been said above. There must be money in those licensing contracts.

SOURCE: Norfolk Southern NScorp

:cool:NORFOLK, Va. - To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Norfolk & Western/Southern merger in 1982, Norfolk Southern plans to honor many of the railroads that make up the present day NS system. As Union Pacific did a half-decade ago, NS plans to create a fleet of heritage locomotives, though NS's plans are bigger: 18 units honoring a wide variety of predecessor roads.

The locomotives will be 10 SD70ACes on order from EMD that are being constructed at its Muncie, Ind., plant, and eight ES44ACs from an upcoming order for 25 units from GE. While EMD will paint all 10 heritage units in-house, NS forces will paint the eight GEs. The railroad's Altoona, Pa., shop will paint five, while the Chattanooga, Tenn., shop will handle three heritage units.

The 18 predecessors selected for heritage paint are:

Central of Georgia
Conrail
Erie
Erie Lackawanna
Leigh Valley (red)
New Haven (not definite yet)
New York Central
Nickel Plate Road
Norfolk & Western
Penn Central
Pennsylvania
Pittsburg & West Virginia
Reading
Savanna & Atlanta
Southern
Tennessee, Alabama & Georgia
Virginian
Wabash

NS plans to recreate the paint schemes as accurately as possible. By contrast, UP used the old railroads' logos and colors, but created new interpretations on the old liveries.

LNL-628345.jpg
d351c8ac516d6f600070750fb9f9.jpg
6-28338_5623.jpg
6-28344_1051.jpg
28334.jpg
28318.jpg
i think these are fictional but who knows, i think lionel just took some of UP's units and said we can do something similar to that

Last edited:
Back