Trainz 12 on a SSD?

Reading about them earlier, AHCI was mentioned but can't remember what.
There was something else, I'll nip back to e buyer to read the reviews.

He set ACHI in the bios and then set TRIM. But it doesn't say if he had normal drives as well.

Last edited:
The writes tend to be slower with SSD due to the way they work. Reads are fine.
Remember the voltage has to be raised up to write so this may be causing the problem. The circuitry to do this process does cause some lag time from what I remember when burning EEROMs. The SSDs are really just huge EEROMs with very fast access times.

John

The writes tend to be slower with SSD due to the way they work. Reads are fine.
Remember the voltage has to be raised up to write so this may be causing the problem. The circuitry to do this process does cause some lag time from what I remember when burning EEROMs. The SSDs are really just huge EEROMs with very fast access times.

John

I did some research.

According to http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews...data-types-atto-and-crystal-diskmark-testing/ by default Crystal disk mark uses incompressible data for testing and the manufacturers use compressible data for their numbers. When I ran the test using compressible data my write numbers shot up.

Last edited:
But... In many environments, you're going to see both. There are going to be JPG files which have already been compressed, as well as other files that do not compress down like zips because they're already compressed. This files sit there right along side text, docs, html, and others that will zing down to next to nothing.

Your best test maybe to do a file copy and monitor the start and stop time of your copy. That will be better than any artificial test.

John

But... In many environments, you're going to see both. There are going to be JPG files which have already been compressed, as well as other files that do not compress down like zips because they're already compressed. This files sit there right along side text, docs, html, and others that will zing down to next to nothing.

Your best test maybe to do a file copy and monitor the start and stop time of your copy. That will be better than any artificial test.

John

An important thing to note is that in my tests I compared a RAID0 array with 2 WD Black Caviar drives to a single SSD.

The RAID0 with conventional hard drives performed quite well compared to the single SSD in sequential tests.

But Trainz is all about loading a great number of many small files when playing or editing a route or session.

The standard performance tests do show what you can expect to see when playing Trainz on an SSD.

Scrolling out to satellite view, moving around the map, then scrolling back down is much smoother on an SSD then even with a RAID setup using conventional hard drives. That is something very easy to see.

The best numbers that really show the advantage of SSD over a hard drive (with regards to playing Trainz) are the random reads in the 4k and 512k tests. Playing Trainz involves tons of random reads.

The very simple fact is that this game runs much better on an SSD.

Should I have both the OS and Trainz on the SSD?

I'm getting a PC next week but I won't be getting an SSD for a week or two... i'm guessing I can easily clone the existing drive to the new SSD and then just wipe the existing drive and remount it as storage?

Is there anything I should be looking out for?

Should I have both the OS and Trainz on the SSD?

I'm getting a PC next week but I won't be getting an SSD for a week or two... i'm guessing I can easily clone the existing drive to the new SSD and then just wipe the existing drive and remount it as storage?

Is there anything I should be looking out for?

If the size of your SSD permits, then putting the OS and Trainz could be a windfall performance wise for both Windows and Trainz.

Putting the OS on the SSD will allow for a faster boot time.

I use my SSD only for the game. My computer still boots from regular hard drives (2 drives in a RAID0 configuration). The boot times are great so I don't worry about Windows performance.

Running Trainz from the SSD is crazy faster then running it from a regular hard drive.

If your computer has plenty of RAM and doesn't swap a lot then leave the OS on the hard drive and use the SSD only for games such as Trainz.

Putting the OS on the SSD will allow for a faster boot time.

I've recently built a second PC with an ASrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 motherboard and it has ASrock Instant Boot on it - it's incredible, just 6 seconds to boot ! :eek:

My new computer arrives shortly and it has a 250gb SSD as well as a 750gb standard hard drive. Is it sensible to try and put Trainz on the SSD (as well as the OS) and if so what do I need to think about? Or should I put it on the standard hard drive. Very grateful for any thoughts or reports of experiences.

So how did/is it going with the SSD?
I am running AMD A8 x32bit Windows 7 Home with 4GB ram. Boot and OS is on a FM 120GB, Additional 1TB Western Digital SATA . Running great. loaded TS2012 on Boot drive and performance is Wowee :)

Time from power on to using windows is 12 sec. This system was done in Aug 2011. No problems.
rgds
Andromeda

Back