Trainz 12 on a SSD?

Bob5446

My new computer arrives shortly and it has a 250gb SSD as well as a 750gb standard hard drive. Is it sensible to try and put Trainz on the SSD (as well as the OS) and if so what do I need to think about? Or should I put it on the standard hard drive. Very grateful for any thoughts or reports of experiences.

Many thanks!

I added a SSD.

The operating system is on the old HDD. Put TS12 on the SSD.

Running Mojave on the SSD is a world of difference.

Running Marias Pass a 2006 route in TS12 runs as smooth as silk on the SSD.

Both stuttered badly on the HDD.

Harold

When I added an SSD and installed everything on it there was an instant and noticeable improvement in FPS. I currently have an OCZ Revodrive 3 on order and I expect it to take things to the next level.

A faster drive makes a world of difference to Trainz, I remember getting my first WD Raptor 10,000rpm drive and all my stutters went away.
I would suggest that you give Trainz it's own hard drive and not shared with the operating system. :wave:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts - it does seem that trainz should go on the SSD. Is there some reason why having the OS on the same drive is problematic as I am fairly sure it will arrive with the OS on the SSD. It never seemed to be a problem on a normal hard drive so is this something specific to a SSD. Thanks again for any thoughts.

Bob

So it is true that Trainz performace on SSD's are better!
It's too bad I have had two blow out with just OS's on them. I am not convinced they are that reliable for the time being.

Adam

SSD's

Truthfully, I didn't notice any real improvement in Trainz on an SSD Patriot Drive. The only thing I noticed was faster load times but in game no real noticeable difference. OS sits on its own SATA III HDD

They may have noticeable impact on a minimum system.

My system specs.

AMD Quad-Core 3.4Ghz
Ti550 nVidia 2Gb DDR5
8GB DDR3 1600Ghz DRAM
GigaByte MotherBoard
1 x 1TB SATA III HDD
1 x 500GB SATA III HDD
1 x 120GB Patriot SSD

Peter

Can the SSD be the only HDD on the PC?

And can I add a regular SATA HDD later on?

I'm trying to learn about SSD.:)

Yes the SSD can be the only drive.
The Cons are - Very Expensive, though prices are coming down.
The Pros are - Very fast.
Silent. (You notice when the sound of your HDD disappears!)
Tiny power consumption.
No heat.
Don't need defragmenting.
Everything loads ultra fast.

The advantage of the Revodrive is that you plug it into your PCI slot so it requires no SATA cables , and speeds are through the roof.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ocz_revodrive_3_x2_240gb/

SSD manufacturer must be chosen carefully. My computer gurus reccommend Intell as being very reliable, although not always the very fastest.

So it is true that Trainz performace on SSD's are better!
It's too bad I have had two blow out with just OS's on them. I am not convinced they are that reliable for the time being.

Adam

As a matter of interest what make were the SSD's/ Surely the fact that you had 2 blow up suggests either they weren't a reliable make or an incompatibilty wth your PC? I read as much as I coould on the OCZ Forum before getting my Vertex 3 and it seems that a lot of people had problems with them until the latest Firmware update, after which the problems were sorted.

As a matter of interest what make were the SSD's/ Surely the fact that you had 2 blow up suggests either they weren't a reliable make or an incompatibilty wth your PC? I read as much as I coould on the OCZ Forum before getting my Vertex 3 and it seems that a lot of people had problems with them until the latest Firmware update, after which the problems were sorted.

Hi lewisner,

The original main drive I had was a 64GB Crucial 300C. That gave out after about 3 months of operation. Seeing that I wanted a larger drive anyways I ordered a 180GB OCZ Agility2. This lasted me about 5 months and the MBR got corrupted. I switched back out with the Crucial (which I am running now; all it needed was a reformat) and currently awaiting my newegg order to come with a 450GB 10,000RPM WD Velociraptor to replace it.

I can see running a program off it perhaps, which I may do, but for a OS; with the risks and damages I have taken, it is not worth it at this time.

Adam

I am thinking of getting an SSD just for TRAINZ and Docs etc. I would not use one for the OS as there have been many failures of these devices especially OCZ
I may go with Corsair or Kingston

Well I guess I should update on this. My SSD is a Samsung. The first version failed from day 1 but the replacement is very good. I have both the OS and Trainz on the SSD and
they both work well and phenominally quickly. Loading Trainz is much much quicker esp. on big routes such as UMR and jumping about the route is much better too, Thanks for all the comments and keep them coming.
As Euphod said it looks as if SSd is the way to go.

I have TS12 installed on a SSD, my OS, Win7 x64, is installed on a sata3 HDD. Since installing TS12 on the SSD it runs as smooth as silk, no stuttering, no micro stutters and distant scenery is always there in view.

My CPU is an i5 760 o/c to 4gHz (extremely stable at stock voltages), 8gb DDR3 1600 ram and a AMD Radeon 6870 GPU. I have certainly not looked back where performance is concerned since installing TS12 on to an SSD.

Yep, SSD is the way to go!

Rob.

Back