Trainz: A New Era Pre-Orders Have Now Arrived! - Visit our Information Page to find out more.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trainz 12 on a SSD?

United States of America, CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    You must not have a lot of content because I have over 150GB with my Trainz plus content installed. .
    I guess I don't, relatively. I think I have about 10gigs. But to me it is a huge amount, and 90 percent of it I never use, and have never even seen! But to be honest, I only ever use one route, that's the ECML, and some tiny little routes of my own. I must admit that I am completely UK-Steam oriented as far as Trainz is concerned..

Mick.

My TS2010 and TS12 are at around 40 gigs each. I was only planning on putting TS12 on it, so plenty of room to spare.

I may put MS FSX on it, but that is only around 14 gigs. So still plenty of room to download many more Trainz assets.
    ASUS Sabertooth P67, i5-2500(k), 8 GB DDR3, 2 GB GTX 560, 120 GB Corsair GT SSD, 256 GB Vertex 4 SSD.

Well, I got the SSD installed and Trainz 12 copied to it.

Played around a little with a few routes.

So far it looks to be a good upgrade.

UMR is really snappy now. Changing views, switching locos and zipping around the route are all much better.

One thing I did notice right away is that the amount of improvement seems to be related to how much a route is stressing the video card.

For instance The Loops by Msgsapper loads faster and runs better but there is still some stutter changing views. I think it's hitting the limits of my video card.

With the new Nvidia 600 series video cards out maybe the GTX570's will drop in price. I really need to upgrade from my GTS450.
    ASUS Sabertooth P67, i5-2500(k), 8 GB DDR3, 2 GB GTX 560, 120 GB Corsair GT SSD, 256 GB Vertex 4 SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by William0d0 View Post
    Well, I got the SSD installed and Trainz 12 copied to it.

Played around a little with a few routes.

So far it looks to be a good upgrade.

UMR is really snappy now. Changing views, switching locos and zipping around the route are all much better.

One thing I did notice right away is that the amount of improvement seems to be related to how much a route is stressing the video card.

For instance The Loops by Msgsapper loads faster and runs better but there is still some stutter changing views. I think it's hitting the limits of my video card.

With the new Nvidia 600 series video cards out maybe the GTX570's will drop in price. I really need to upgrade from my GTS450.

I'm getting convinced, glad it's worked for you. Do they fit in a bay or slot in? Sure I've seen they go in a spare GPU slot.

Quote Originally Posted by fran1 View Post
    I'm getting convinced, glad it's worked for you. Do they fit in a bay or slot in? Sure I've seen they go in a spare GPU slot.
    It came with an adapter to mount it in a 3.5" drive bay. Plugs into SATA III port.

I seen some SSD's on a PCI card, would not be good for me. Motherboards P67 chipset only allows one PCI slot to run at X16.

Quote Originally Posted by William0d0 View Post
    It came with an adapter to mount it in a 3.5" drive bay. Plugs into SATA III port.

I seen some SSD's on a PCI card, would not be good for me. Motherboards P67 chipset only allows one PCI slot to run at X16.
    Thanks for that.

Some early results in:

On the left:

2 WD 1TB Black Caviar 7200 rpm SATA III hard drives.
    Intel SATA III ports.
    SATA II cables.
    RAID(0).

On the right:

1 120gig SATA III Corsair series GT SSD.
    Marvell SATA III port.
    SATA III cable.

Since I use my computer with Avast and several other items running in the task bar, this test was conducted without closing anything.

See sig for specs.

Will be posting some FRAPS videos shortly.

Massive improvements except for the seq write speed which is slower by about 20%, glitch in the system maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by fran1 View Post
    Massive improvements except for the seq write speed which is slower by about 20%, glitch in the system maybe?
    Could be a glitch. Or maybe something about the seq tests that a RAID(0) can work well in.

Default Early results revisited

@fran1, I started doing some digging.

First thing I found was I could not run the firmware update software for the drive. It would not see the drive, at all.

Some research later. This drive doesn't like being run on the Marvell SATA controller.

Time for some cable swapping.

I moved the Hard Drive Raid(0) from the Intel SATA III ports to the Intel SATA II ports.
    Moved the SSD from the Marvell port to one of the now free Intel SATA III ports.

Rebooted.

RAID still works fine, SSD now shows on the Intel controller. Firmware update software shows the SSD having latest version.

Yippee, moving forward.

Ran the same tests as posted earlier.

I still don't like the seq write speed. I think it may have to do with the motherboard bios settings. There are options for AHCI 'OR' RAID.

Gonna look into it further.

Reading about them earlier, AHCI was mentioned but can't remember what.
    There was something else, I'll nip back to e buyer to read the reviews.

He set ACHI in the bios and then set TRIM. But it doesn't say if he had normal drives as well.
    Last edited by fran1; April 4th, 2012 at 03:22 AM.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

The writes tend to be slower with SSD due to the way they work. Reads are fine.
    Remember the voltage has to be raised up to write so this may be causing the problem. The circuitry to do this process does cause some lag time from what I remember when burning EEROMs. The SSDs are really just huge EEROMs with very fast access times.

John
    Trainz User ID: 124863

The writes tend to be slower with SSD due to the way they work. Reads are fine.
    Remember the voltage has to be raised up to write so this may be causing the problem. The circuitry to do this process does cause some lag time from what I remember when burning EEROMs. The SSDs are really just huge EEROMs with very fast access times.

John
    I did some research.

According to http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/...kmark-testing/ by default Crystal disk mark uses incompressible data for testing and the manufacturers use compressible data for their numbers. When I ran the test using compressible data my write numbers shot up.
    Last edited by William0d0; April 5th, 2012 at 12:56 AM.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

But... In many environments, you're going to see both. There are going to be JPG files which have already been compressed, as well as other files that do not compress down like zips because they're already compressed. This files sit there right along side text, docs, html, and others that will zing down to next to nothing.

Your best test maybe to do a file copy and monitor the start and stop time of your copy. That will be better than any artificial test.

John
    Trainz User ID: 124863

But... In many environments, you're going to see both. There are going to be JPG files which have already been compressed, as well as other files that do not compress down like zips because they're already compressed. This files sit there right along side text, docs, html, and others that will zing down to next to nothing.

Your best test maybe to do a file copy and monitor the start and stop time of your copy. That will be better than any artificial test.

John
    An important thing to note is that in my tests I compared a RAID0 array with 2 WD Black Caviar drives to a single SSD.

The RAID0 with conventional hard drives performed quite well compared to the single SSD in sequential tests.

But Trainz is all about loading a great number of many small files when playing or editing a route or session.

The standard performance tests do show what you can expect to see when playing Trainz on an SSD.

Scrolling out to satellite view, moving around the map, then scrolling back down is much smoother on an SSD then even with a RAID setup using conventional hard drives. That is something very easy to see.

The best numbers that really show the advantage of SSD over a hard drive (with regards to playing Trainz) are the random reads in the 4k and 512k tests. Playing Trainz involves tons of random reads.

The very simple fact is that this game runs much better on an SSD.