Northern Arizona Route

1st Pic, LOL!:hehe:
2nd Pic, AWESOME!:D
Nice job on doing Arizona, I've been there a few times and still remember what it looks like, It looks like this!;)

Also in the 2nd pic, I can kinda "feel" the heat because it's so realistic;), here its like 9 degrees:hehe:. I wish I was in the southwest right now....:D
I also like how you mix the desert textures.

Okay, I just have to ask....what is that on the horizon of your last screen? The right side seems irregular, could be a mountain on the horizon, but the left side seems too horizontally straight. Is it a back drop, or the North rim of the canyon?:hehe:

Last edited:
Thanks, I did the first shot just as a joke. Then I thought, I wonder if I could make something look like the Grand Canyon without losing everything in the draw distance. Only a couple of skies worked to contrast the edge. I can’t do the horizontal strata banding of the cliff faces. I wish I could.

Euphod, ’No backdrop. I wanted the far horizon to be mostly flat with a few raised areas. The clock is set for very early morning. I tend to get these white outlines on flat areas off in the distance. If I work at it I might be able to fix that by adding gradual slopes.

Thanks for the explanation. As I said, the right side works for me, but I do find the left side to appear a little too level.
It's not a big deal, but the illusion you are creating is very convincing, I hate to see something that jars me out of enjoying it! Carry on, please.:)

This is the end of my little Grand Canyon experiment. I did make some progress at copy and pasting of horizontal rock strata, but as soon as I hit a cliff all bets are off.
Euphod, you were right about the horizon being too level. I appreciate your comments.
Eaglefan9727, I do plan on releasing the route someday. I have a long way to go on it though. This route started as a desert terrain experiment and sort of grew from there. I think I need to slow down and do some better route planning before I continue. I do in fact have a lot to learn about route building. I’m only seven months into Trainz. I know I have a pretty good handle on the scenery aspect of this, but there’s plenty for me to learn as far as track planning, signals, etc. I am my own worst critic but all these comments have inspired me to keep moving forward.
Gordon

grandcanyon17a.jpg

Euphod, you were right about the horizon being too level.

Is it a leap year already?:D
Seriously, that pic looks much better. A canyon of that size (width) with other formations inside has to be very difficult to convincingly reproduce, but I would say you have it nailed, and yes, I have been to the Grand Canyon before. It wasn't quite as grand way back then, but it was still a canyon!

That's a nice piece of work you done there, pray continue!:)

Great that you've made a thread for this layout, just discovered it today. It's one (of just 3 or 4) that I want to plunder regularly for my screen backgrounds! I really like the way you orientate the ground textures to indicate water erosion features, especially on those embankments in the foreground. Very effective.

Well take a look at that. There's that fence again.

Good looking route and fence... :hehe:

Well take a look at that. There's that fence again.

Good looking route and fence... :hehe:

The rusty chain link fence Dinorius Redundicus made for you is so detailed and realistic. (Based on photos you took). It was an easy choice for this shot. All of the Dinorius creations add so much detail and character to a scene. (By the way, thank you Dinorius for your kind words about my route). Dricketts, I have been following your Frisco route for a while. Your scenes are like photos. Nobody creates anything without being influenced by others. I was new here when you started posting your Frisco work. Your attention to detail and well-composed shots were very inspiring to me. It’s a great route!

Eaglefan9727, I do plan on releasing the route someday. I have a long way to go on it though. This route started as a desert terrain experiment and sort of grew from there. I think I need to slow down and do some better route planning before I continue. I do in fact have a lot to learn about route building. I’m only seven months into Trainz. I know I have a pretty good handle on the scenery aspect of this, but there’s plenty for me to learn as far as track planning, signals, etc.

Great to hear that someday you will release the route, Because that is a amazing start on the route. For just being 7 months in Trainz. I gotta hand it to you for a great job well job. Just one question. In the screenshots, I see most of the route so far is double main line. Do you plan to do that through the complete route. The reason why I asked is, Because I am big fan of double mani line running.

Eaglefan

Hi GNdome55,

have you been looking for something like:

ScreenGrandCanyon.jpg

Of course there is a (simple) trick to get this:
Just use a backdrop. There you can show a realistic picture of a straight-up scenery - for more examples click down at "my content".
If you want to try my "Grand Canyon Backdrop" send me your email then I can attach the file.
Your Northern Arizona countryside gives a really authentic feeling - had been there and like it!
jost62

Last edited:
The rusty chain link fence Dinorius Redundicus made for you is so detailed and realistic. (Based on photos you took). It was an easy choice for this shot. All of the Dinorius creations add so much detail and character to a scene. (By the way, thank you Dinorius for your kind words about my route)...

Gordon

I had no idea that 3 steel poles and a bit of wire mesh would generate such happiness! :hehe: Glad you found a use for it though.

~ Deane

Great to hear that someday you will release the route, Because that is a amazing start on the route. For just being 7 months in Trainz. I gotta hand it to you for a great job well job. Just one question. In the screenshots, I see most of the route so far is double main line. Do you plan to do that through the complete route. The reason why I asked is, Because I am big fan of double mani line running.

Eaglefan
Thank you eaglefan, yes it will be double track mainline. The route will be based on the 163 miles between Flagstaff and Lupton Arizona. That seems like a lot of miles to take on for my first large route. At this point I’m trying to decide how much I will condense to make it a more manageable route size for me. I guess calling this fictional is a poor choice considering the BNSF mainline is the only rail line in that area. I’ll try my best to make it believable.

Hi GNdome55,

have you been looking for something like:

Of course there is a (simple) trick to get this:
Just use a backdrop. There you can show a realistic picture of a straight-up scenery - for more examples click down at "my content".
If you want to try my "Grand Canyon Backdrop" send me your email then I can attach the file.
Your Northern Arizona countryside gives a really authentic feeling - had been there and like it!
jost62
Thank you jost62 for the suggestions. I won’t have any part of the Grand Canyon in the route. You have some very nice Arizona backdrops. I haven’t used any backdrops but I’m going to check a few of them out and see if they could fit in anywhere. Thanks again

Gordon

I had no idea that 3 steel poles and a bit of wire mesh would generate such happiness! :hehe: Glad you found a use for it though.

~ Deane
Deane, Some of what you create in the 3D virtual world used to be a big specialty of mine in model railroading. I love weathering and rust. Staring at grimy guardrails, power lines and old weathered farm buildings is more of a driving distraction for me than using my cell phone. Following a rusty garbage truck? Priceless! (Visa commercial reference intentional)

the texture work is really good
Thanks for the comment kamran. It’s frigid cold and snowy in Minnesota now. Working on this Arizona route is a great escape for me.
Gordon

Back