Western Maryland Scenic Railroad...

stevelerro

Owner of K&L Trainz
It has begun! Once the route is laid, I'll work on surveying the roads. My goal is to have the train travel the speed limit, and I want to be able to chase it with a vehicle by service road!

Enjoy!
Steve Lerro

Helmstetters Curve!
ScreenShot2012-01-07at92138PM.png

ScreenShot2012-01-07at92150PM.png

ScreenShot2012-01-07at92124PM.png

Ridgeley Yard

So much fun adding weeds and grass....get JVC Grass on the dls and load your layout up! This is the WMSR storage yard located across the river from Cumberland in a small town called Ridgeley. It sits in what used to be a multi-track freight yard but much has been abandoned and left to be overrun by weeds. I feel my layout captures just that. Enjoy!

Yard Limits
ScreenShot2012-01-19at35117PM.png

Overview
ScreenShot2012-01-19at35040PM.png

Steam and Diesels sit and wait
ScreenShot2012-01-19at34902PM.png

ScreenShot2012-01-19at34920PM.png

Passenger Cars sit in weeds on the west side of the yard.
ScreenShot2012-01-19at34956PM.png

Please comment!

That is awesome that someone is finally making that route. You've done a wonderful job so far. I was wondering where did you get 734 from / how did you make it.
-Barronzm

That is awesome that someone is finally making that route. You've done a wonderful job so far. I was wondering where did you get 734 from / how did you make it.
-Barronzm

The engine is Bdaneal's Freeware Generic 2-8-2. (I remove the trailing truck eventually) and the tender is Marlboro's Payware Cresent Limited Tender reskinned. I'm super excited to get the route going. I have the track laid all the way to Frostberg. Now to adding scenery. I have a lot of work to go! I'll keep posting pics.

The grass looks very nice, but if you're going to detail the rest of the route in the same manner, you're going to be very busy! And you might be blind at the end as well!:D

The grass looks very nice, but if you're going to detail the rest of the route in the same manner, you're going to be very busy! And you might be blind at the end as well!:D

For the most part, the line headed to the narrows is pretty rough at spots, but most of the route is pretty clear. I have all intensions of making the route as grassy and weedy as possible where it is supposed to be :D

If I were modeling this in the 2005 time period, I'd die before finishing because of how much grass and weeds I'd have to add lol...

Are you aware that there already is a route that has the Cumberland to Frostburg route in it? It's the Cumberland to Connellsville or the mega route which includes more of WV. But, it's modeled after the 50's when it was the WM and B&O railroads. There's no turntable at Frostburg, because the track goes through the tunnel like it did years ago. You would have to add your own turntable and delete the track going up to the tunnel. Also, the station and spur track are placed wrong, and the Wallingford station would be a better match for Frostburg. I did those modifications on my route to reflect the modern day WMSR, and deleted the old WM main down below from the junction before Frostburg and toward PA. At Connellsville, PA the former WM/P&LE station stands, but the track was originally on an elevated bridge that went over the streets, and it was torn down so the track side of the station has a tower where the door leads to the open air! The Cumberland route is a great route. The full route also has the former WM lines in WV that are used for a tourist railroad.

So I scrapped my hand laid layout from Cumberland to Frostberg. I realized that from a distance....I had made a pretty big error with the the layout itself....so I did what I was trying to avoid and that is making the route to scale. So now im using the scale map from the DLS and laying the route again. Even though it takes an hour or so to reach the end of the route (which is how long it really takes) Its pretty enjoyable to ride the scale route. Plenty of stretches where I can just sit back and listen to the loco bark up grade and blow the whistle....So for now, here is Cumberland Station, The Narrows Truss Bridge, Helmstetters Curve and Brush Tunnel...

and before ANYONE messages me asking what the loco is and where to get....I no longer use Bdaneal's Generic Mikado reskinned. I went and purchased wgkandsk's fabulous NH 2-8-0 and reskinned it, and I purchased Marlboro's Cresent Limited and reskinned the tender. So that being said, I paid for them....and am not distributing them. The coaches are Magicland's "Southern Streamlined Coach" on the DLS <kuid2:58843:142:1> which I spent hours reskinning.

Enjoy!
More photos to come.
Stevelerro

1-3.png

2-2.png

3-2.png

4-2.png

5-2.png

6-2.png

7-2.png

8-2.png

9-1.png

11.png

Sence Steve is so busy with the K&L partnership, Steve has laid this aside so he can work on his pennsey steamers. I asked him about this awhile ago, he said he get back to it eventially.

Hey do you know how long it may take till the route is done?
-Barronzm

The other day, out of pure sickness of looking at the J1, P70, and other stuff we're working on, I opened up surveyor for the first time in a while and worked on the WMSR route...I now have the entire track and bike path laid, the stations at cumberland and frostburg are complete, the yard at ridgley is done, helmstetters is done with the barn and houses...all the grade crossing have been set up...all thats left is ground texturing....oh and i have to do the trees....all 54,932,921,034 of them...

Since K&L did the E27 for B&O, would y'all be able to take the mesh (since the boiler sizes are comparable) and remodel it for the 800 class 2-8-0 (not the engine they have now; the 734 is not prototypical.)

He was planning to do WMSR 734 later on down the line, Wasn't the E27 a PRR design and production model sold to the B&O or was that a different E series?

Since K&L did the E27 for B&O, would y'all be able to take the mesh (since the boiler sizes are comparable) and remodel it for the 800 class 2-8-0 (not the engine they have now; the 734 is not prototypical.)

Actually, the 800s have significantly bigger boilers than the E27s.

Back