salary of a train conductor

i was worried about the qualification of driver bcz i thought they need some mechanical enginer for this job but its ok
the reason for asking this question is that i am very much intrested in trains of usa am i am planning to move to usa in upcomming years when i will finish my master degree in commerce which i am currrently doing
and i was worried that having a master degree in commerce i can never become a part of railroad

It's not considered to be a skilled position. A high school diploma is all you need. As long as you have a decent driving record and no felonies on your record they will consider you.

Honestly I wouldn't mention you have a master's degree. They will probably consider you over qualified. If you were applying for another position at the railroad where you could leverage your master's degree maybe. I've also heard from BNSF employees it's hard to move from a conductor/engineer position to another in the company. One of my engineer friends at BNSF has a degree in secondary education. He's applied for several positions including dispatcher and never got an interview. The positions would have been less pay but more stable hours. Keep in mind he's been at BNSF for 15 years and has a perfect record at the company. It's probably easier for BNSF to hire off the street than have someone move positions then find replacements for train crew positions.

Just keep in mind if you start as a conductor you will probably be stuck there for your entire time at the company. That might not be a bad thing if that's what you want to do.

Last edited:
with a master degree in commerece is there any other good job i can get?
i use the word conductor and driver bcz i love trains and i want to live my life on them and these two person are those who lives there life on rails

I wanted to be a railroader all my life, I found out about the pay much later.

I want to do it. I like a job on the ragged edge. I very well know the risks.

I'm kinda betting that when job security starts, the people who don't understand nor want this are gone.

Also, I don't plan on mentioning I'm a rail fan. That will cause me to be sent out. Real fast.

Last edited:
i use the word conductor and driver bcz i love trains and i want to live my life on them and these two person are those who lives there life on rails

Kamran,

With a masters degree, you could be more involved with railroad finace or advertising or corporate planning, and move on to more senior positions within the rail industry.

Good luck to you.

Try this link. Keep in mind it only works in internet explorer. Their site doesn't like firefox. Do a search for all positions in a certain area in the US like Chicago. You should get some results. I've been checking this once a week for the past 4 months for positions in Kansas City.

https://careers.bnsf.com/sap(bD1lbi...cf_unrg_srch/application.do?rcfContext=EXTRNL

that gave me some hope to my future
bcz with this degree i can easily get the job of bank manager in my country as my father is and the starting salary is around 60000 rupees per month with other benifits and it can go more then 120000 (dont compare the currency of my country with US $) In future and person having salary of 60000 to 70000 can earn a very good life but i am not intreted in such jobs but my only intrest is in railroads of united states and now i willl definatly try to move to united states in upcoming years when i willl get my master degree and while being working with railroad i will also get higher education in usa

Train drivers up north of Western Australia, (The Pilbara) apparently receive $200,000+ per year. Thats 208k US and 10,226,230.49 Rs.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...e-in-the-pilbara/story-e6frg6nf-1226007193898
I now a couple of people up there and it is hard work, with long hours and requiring massive focus. Also most are on a 2week on 1 week off (back at home) roster, because the area is so remote, they have to be flown in from Perth or whatever.
Thats one possibility I'm considering when i leave school, but i think I'd prefer to be a diesel mechanic or something.

guys can you tell me abot the monthly earning of each enginner and conductor n class 1 o class 2 railroads
though i will look for some better position as i will have master degree at that time and i will continue my study to MS in usa

that gave me some hope to my future
bcz with this degree i can easily get the job of bank manager in my country as my father is and the starting salary is around 60000 rupees per month with other benifits and it can go more then 120000 (dont compare the currency of my country with US $) In future and person having salary of 60000 to 70000 can earn a very good life but i am not intreted in such jobs but my only intrest is in railroads of united states and now i willl definatly try to move to united states in upcoming years when i willl get my master degree and while being working with railroad i will also get higher education in usa

There is no way that you can work as a Conductor or Engineer for a US railroad AND go to school at the same time! You won't have the time for school as you will be working on call with the railroad and subject to going to work at any time of day or night.

Railroad pay varies by railroad and also it varies within one railroad so no one can tell you the pay of all railroads and all areas. Also those that quoted basic day pay is just that, a base pay (or minimum pay) for a day. Most days you make much more than the basic day pay.

I don't mean to burst your bubble or suppress your dream but it his highly unlikely that you will be able to move from Pakistan and immediately get a job with a US railroad.

I suggest you do more research into what is involved with working for a US railroad. It isn't something you should even attempt to get into just because you like trains.

Just keep in mind if you start as a conductor you will probably be stuck there for your entire time at the company. That might not be a bad thing if that's what you want to do.

Didn't you mean to say that if you start as a Conductor that you will probably be stuck within the TE&Y department? (TE&Y=Train, Engine, and Yard) Engineers are qualified from the rank of Conductor so you wouldn't necessarily be stuck as a Conductor. Also Conductors and Engineers can and do move to manager positions.

Todd
UP Engineer

They got a pretty good gig as I see it. They contribute to the RR retirement fund, union dues, and 401k if they choose. They do have to work odd hours and long shifts but there's something to say about the job security and the fact when they are off work, they're done. No emails at 10:30 pm, your day off, or working from home the night before a meeting. Sometimes I really envy my friends at the BNSF. :)

I've said this before. If I was young enough, I'd be a train conductor instead of a desktop hardware support engineer. (the engineer part sounds nice though!).

A railroad conductor works the same hours as an IT technician does at the same pay rate. As you say, once he's done, he's done! I spent the last 4 hours at the office, then at home entering in job tickets, and providing off-hours support to a manager!

What I don't miss is the holidays missed while creating a new year in the business system, rebuilding a mail server at midnight because the bloody thing crashed and notified me that it needed work, or worse. Driving into the office to shutdown the servers because of an impending snow storm. The trip took me 4 hours in due to an accident, and 6-1/2 hours home in the blinding snow!

They may pay the dues and taxes, but so do we. I have health and life insurance payments taken out of my pay as well as a 401K, stock options, etc. I don't mind paying my share of taxes as long as I see the benefits coming back. The old saying is you pay one way or another. There's no free ride no matter what some people may say.

John

Southern UPRR (houston service unit)

seniority from brownsville to new orleans
yard xtra board guarantee + bonus day=2500+ (don't work the yard)
road (combo) boards+bonus day=3670

a half is 15 days, two halves a month. you train for 6+ months, then they throw you to the wolves. first year, maybe 50,000 to 60,000. subsequent years, goes higher depending on your willingness to be a walking zombie.

like Uprails stated, these rough numbers may not be good on another railroad or even the same railroad. a lot of factors come into play and that is the first thing you learn is how you get paid. hope this helps

There is no way that you can work as a Conductor or Engineer for a US railroad AND go to school at the same time! You won't have the time for school as you will be working on call with the railroad and subject to going to work at any time of day or night.

Railroad pay varies by railroad and also it varies within one railroad so no one can tell you the pay of all railroads and all areas. Also those that quoted basic day pay is just that, a base pay (or minimum pay) for a day. Most days you make much more than the basic day pay.

I don't mean to burst your bubble or suppress your dream but it his highly unlikely that you will be able to move from Pakistan and immediately get a job with a US railroad.

I suggest you do more research into what is involved with working for a US railroad. It isn't something you should even attempt to get into just because you like trains.

Todd
UP Engineer

i agree with you that i cant get the job immediatly when i come to US as getting a job is one of the tough task these days and i also doesnt means that i will just burst into railroad without any research
i was just getting an idea about salary so when i arrive then i have other options too if salary in railroads is not good as my degree is in field of business and commerce

Back