All branches from Midhurst

kester

this is another branch line or should that be branch lines I am working on.

there where 3 lines running into midhurst in West sussex 2 London Briton and south coast and on London south western railway.

of the L&BSC lines one came up from Chichester and the other from Pulbrough to the east.

the LSWR line came from Petersfield and orignaly terminated to the west of the L&BSC station. the line was taken over by Southern railways and the LSWR station was closed.

I know this line or the route of it very well. Went to school in Midhurst and lived in Sutton near to the line as it passes Petworth and Fittleworth. There is also some scope for narrow gauge activity at the Midhurst whites brickworks.

I know this line or the route of it very well. Went to school in Midhurst and lived in Sutton near to the line as it passes Petworth and Fittleworth. There is also some scope for narrow gauge activity at the Midhurst whites brickworks.

Hi Keith,

sounds good just jog my memory as to the location of the Brick works was it to the north of the LSWR station?

I Have infact laid the track all the way from Chichester to Midhurst but I is still in 2004. as you can imagin it is a bit of a killer to lay the terrain due to the hills.

I hope to work on the other 2 lines from Petersfield and Pulbrough soon

I have know moved the route over from trs2004 to 2006 and it seams to run ok I will work on it as and when I can but if any one is interested in helping with this one then drop us a message And I will look at the best way of geting it to you. also if any one is interested in hepling with the other 2 parts and has a can use hog then drop us a line I am willing to do the track laying but I am having trouble with terrain as it is a bit hilly to say the least.
:D

Last edited:
I visited Fittleworth station in 1988 in the course of walking the.A young guy had just bought the derelict wooden station (derelict for 33 years) and was in the process of ripping it to pieces.When I asked why,he told me it was a Listed Building and although he wasn"t allowed to demolish it he could strip the rotten wood out and replace it "like for like".Ironically this meant replacing ALL of the wood!

Have a look at this:
http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/5+6/midhurst_whites.htm

You may find it useful, and don't forget the integration with the Wey-Arun canal at Pulborough and close by Petworth station which is some 2 miles south of the town. Where they had there own spur of the canal.

Thanks keith I did know about the position of petworth station although I was not aware of the canal spur, infact it was a fencing job above the station at petworth that got me interested in the whole project.

I have bookmarked the above site and will have a good look at it in the coming weeks.

Back