clinchfield 4-8-2 question

NTSEFAN

trainz rookie cartoonist
HI! It's me again.

One question.

Did the clinchfield railway ACTUALLY have 4-8-2s on their roster?:confused:

Cause I had no luck trying to find actual photographs of them.

Well then, explain this.

m_US_CRR_Mountain_311.jpg

It almost looks real to me.

(image not mine)

Oh the horror! Who in their right mind would make such a non prototypical abomination?:eek:

I belonged to enough MRR clubs to learn that there were always enough pedantic Prussian "you can't do that" people in the crowd to stifle any creativity. I also learned that model railroading is a fantasy. Enjoy the fantasy. If you like it, it is good enough.

Bernie

Nope, it say fictional right there in the description.

1. They never used a Frisco-like logo.

2. No steam engine they had Scullen drivers.

Oh the horror! Who in their right mind would make such a non prototypical abomination?:eek:

I belonged to enough MRR clubs to learn that there were always enough pedantic Prussian "you can't do that" people in the crowd to stifle any creativity. I also learned that model railroading is a fantasy. Enjoy the fantasy. If you like it, it is good enough.

Bernie

That's the whole point, you guys! I don't know whether or not the Clinchfield did ACTUALLY have 4-8-2s on their roster. I'm not sure if the 311 even actually exists. It first appeared in Wraithmike's "the railway chronicles" as "the demon 311" and it's been made popular with youtubers & railfans alike.

Euphod, aren't YOU the one who made the 311 by repainting the Frisco 1522 into the 311 for the Clinchfield?:eek:

Cause as this police officer would say..."It was in your yard, your name's on the contract, so you can tell that to the judge.":hehe:

That is all.

Last edited:
As far as I can remember, here are the two versions of the 311 story by WraithMike/Flat6Machima/MikeSDN in the Railway Chronicles.:)

The first one was when the 311 was tasked to pull a four car passenger train down the Highland Valley mountain side when on the final part of the journey, it derails at a bridge above the river and sinks. I've seen this in the previews of episode 3 in the separate one and at the end of episode 2, but in the official release of episode 3 it wasn't pulling the four pullman cars like in the preview.

The second was when it was to pull a log train down the mountain side when it went right through a rain storm with strong head winds when eventually the engine disappeared from the tracks but its flatcars full of logs still remained on the tracks which implies the engine was blown far away off the tracks and carried far away along with its crew. It appears in episode 1 of the new Railway Chronicles where it is moving about as a warning to others.

Imagine what it would be like if there was a zombie locomotive with purple eyes, blood drizzling from its eyes and sludge oozing from its mouth and being all black and rusty, it be like the Transformers Prime episode "Shadowzone" where a reanimated Skyquake goes after Jack, Miko, & Raf in a shadowzone. THAT would be shocking.:eek:

If the 311 were to appear in NTSE, I don't know which version of the story to choose.:confused:

There you go.

That is all.

Last edited:
The 311 background story

I was thinking of this for a while, so I have made a perfect background story for the 311.:)

Clinchfield railroad #311 was a 4-8-2 built by baldwin in 1926 for the Clinchfield railroad itself as a prototype for the railroads decision of future purchasements. It was put to the test on the railroads mainline track system for a few days and despite passing the tests with flying colors, they made a bargain and sold it to the Silverlake and Berrybush in 1931 and was based as a road engine on the line soon enough. It worked on the mainline with hard work and detemination, with no regrets until one day in october 31, 1936 in the middle of a fierce rainstorm that night, the engine was put to work to pull a mixed train flat cars full of logs on the one end and heavyweight passenger cars and a caboose on the other end to head to the end of the line to leave the island and to the united states, it was making progress until it approched a old trestle with a worn out rail out of place, likely caused by the rain and wind, and tried to stop, but it just skidded on the slippery rails and strucked the old rail the sooner it got on the bridge. By morning, its train had completly remained unscathed, despite being on the bridge, but the locomotive and its crew, were nowhere to be seen. They were either likely swept away by the strong winds or they crashed and sunked into the the river below. But one thing did happened afterwards. The 311 was cursed by death to wander the rails himself and never find eternal rest as a result and wanders the rails themselves as a reminder to all others and as a warning and was damned for eternity as a result and wields a blood red headlight and smoke as a result. So, beware of the 311 itself or else it will come up and... GET YOU!!!!!!!:eek:

What do you think? Is this background story good enough?

Let me hear you what you guys think!

I hope you like it!:cool:

Last edited:
The Dare

I dare someone to reskin bdneal's mountain type to look like this loco with red smoke in all of the places that a mountain type would have steam & smoke. Renember to post a picture or it won't count!:hehe:

I was thinking of this for a while, so I have made a perfect background story for the 311.:)

Clinchfield railroad #311 was a 4-8-2 built by baldwin in 1926 for the Clinchfield railroad itself as a prototype for the railroads decision of future purchasements. It was put to the test on the railroads mainline track system for a few days and despite passing the tests with flying colors, they made a bargain and sold it to the Silverlake and Berrybush in 1931 and was based as a road engine on the line soon enough. It worked on the mainline with hard work and detemination, with no regrets until one day in october 31, 1936 in the middle of a fierce rainstorm that night, the engine was put to work to pull a mixed train flat cars full of logs on the one end and heavyweight passenger cars and a caboose on the other end to head to the end of the line to leave the island and to the united states, it was making progress until it approched a old trestle with a worn out rail out of place, likely caused by the rain and wind, and tried to stop, but it just skidded on the slippery rails and strucked the old rail the sooner it got on the bridge. By morning, it train had completly remained unscathed, despite being on the bridge, but the locomotive and its crew, were nowhere to be seen. They were either likely swept away by the strong winds or they crashed and sunked into the the river below. But one thing did happened afterwards. The 311 was cursed by death to wander the rails himself and never find eternal rest as a result and wanders the rails themselves as a reminder to all others and as a warning and was damned for eternity as a result and wields a blood red headlight and smoke as a result. So, beware of the 311 itself or else it will come up and... GET YOU!!!!!!!:eek:

I hope you like it!:cool:

Just change one line to "as a result and wanders the rails to warn other drivers to fix that jacked up bridge!" Like it?

:cool: Sure they had 4-8-2's...that's why the locomotive was selected for the CRR.

I found a picture in "Locomotives of the Seaboard System."

Clinchfield #311... Has been done before... more than once!

I know, which is why I want to do it as well.

I dare someone to reskin bdneal's mountain type to look like this loco with red smoke in all of the places that a mountain type would have steam & smoke. Renember to post a picture or it won't count!:hehe:

I'll consider it. ;)

Just change one line to "as a result and wanders the rails to warn other drivers to fix that jacked up bridge!" Like it?

I'll think about it.

:cool: Sure they had 4-8-2's...that's why the locomotive was selected for the CRR.

I found a picture in "Locomotives of the Seaboard System."

If you have proof, I would like to see it. :)

Backyard, Do you think you could show us proof of what you have?

If you do, I would like to see it. :)

The 311 background story

I know what you're thinking. You think its me posting the same story up again, well this time, it's not. I decided to extend the story itself and give the 311 a bit more of a realistic fleshed out background story regarding the engine itself. And I added in a few extra parts as well to explain more on what else happened in the story itself.

So I presented to you an extended version of the background story for the 311.:)

Clinchfield railroad #311 was a 4-8-2 built by baldwin in 1926 for the Clinchfield railroad itself as a prototype for the railroads decision of future purchasements. The design for it was inspired from the Frisco railways 4-8-2's that were still being built at the time.

It was put to the test on the railroads mainline track system for a few days and despite passing the tests with flying colors, they made a bargain and sold it to the Silverlake and Berrybush in 1931 and was based as a road engine on the line soon enough.

It worked on the mainline as a mixed traffic engine pulling either freight or passenger trains with hard work and detemination, with no regrets until one day in october 31, 1936 in the middle of a fierce rainstorm that night, an order of logs camed and with a heavy express that was due to leave the island. All the other engines were busy with other jobs and the only engine available was the 311.

Since both trains were urgent, it was decided to run both trains together as one, as a mixed train, by dropping off the flatcars at the end station once the passenger cars were dropped off, where they would be picked up by a leaving freight train and the passenger train would be taken over by another engine, to save time.

Eventually, the engine was put to work to pull the mixed train with the flatcars full of logs on the one end and heavyweight passenger cars and a caboose on the other end to head to the end of the line at the end station to leave the island and to the united states, since the 311 was the only engine available.

Out on the road, it was making progress along the line until it approched a old trestle with a worn out rail out of place, likely caused by the rain and wind, and tried to stop, but it just skidded on the slippery rails and strucked the old rail the sooner it got on the bridge. The guard eventually found out what happened and went to the front of the train and found out that there was no engine at the front and went back to the last station to report what happened. The passengers were taken back to the station by means of a rescue train and were brought to the station to stay the night at the railway hotel until the rainstorm died down.

By morning, the breakdown train gang was sent to the wreck site to look for the 311 at the river where it dissappear. They found it's train had completly remained unscathed, despite being on the bridge, but the locomotive and its crew, were nowhere to be seen. They were either likely swept away by the strong winds or they crashed and sunked into the the river below. They looked all over the river bed and everywhere and they couldn't find anything. They searched everywhere, but found nothing. The workmen eventually gave up searching, but they told the controller about the incident.

The train was eventually moved to the end station after the tracks were repaired and tested to make sure they were safe, and the cars were dropped off, with the passengers eventually catching their train with another engine ready to take them on to the mainland, while the flatcars were left there and hooked up to their freight train leaving to the mainland with the logs bounded for the sawmills there.

The railway eventually moved on after that without the 311 and other engines eventually camed and life started to return to normal and for a year nothing happened, until one night in october 31, 1937, the sight of a runaway train was spotted, some workmen went to lift some rail out of place to derail it. it never came.

The sightings went on and on for a few weeks until spectulators and witnesses alike soon realized that the engine itself in the sightings looked alot like the 311 the dissappeared a year before on that trip, and some photographs of it released soon confirmed it. The sightings went on for a few more weeks and then the sightings stopped, it was until the anniversary of it accident that it camed again, and on every anniversary since.

They say on the anniversary of it's accident, it can be seen pulling a mixed train to the mainland, they have seen the gray colored mountain trying to get to the end station, but he never reaches the other side of the trestle. They say the sound of an engine wailing in the distance can be heard. It's said the 311s spirit still haunts the line leading up to the bridge.

The 311 was cursed by death to wander the rails himself and never find eternal rest as a result and wanders the rails themselves as a reminder to all others and as a warning and was damned for eternity as a result and wields a blood red headlight and releases blood red smoke as a result and wanders the rails to warn other drivers to fix that jacked up bridge!

So, beware of the 311 itself or else it will come up and... GET YOU!!!!!!!:eek:

The engine itself will later go on to becoming a character in Nick the steam engine where it will eventually be build up to become a antangonist in the future.:p

Well chickenlover, I did added in the part you were suggesting, so what do you think? :cool:

Last edited:
Don't bad mouth 311:n:, she is real, I have seen her. NO QUESTIONS on how I am still here, I'm still figuring that out myself thank you.:eek: NTSEFAN, you are actually close to her actual story, how?:eek:

Don't bad mouth 311:n:, she is real, I have seen her. NO QUESTIONS on how I am still here, I'm still figuring that out myself thank you.:eek: NTSEFAN, you are actually close to her actual story, how?:eek:

There is no 4-8-2 on CRR's Roster. The Largest Loco's on the clinchfield besides the Challengers are 4-6-2's. However, there is a Steam loco numbered 311 on CRR's Roster, but it's a 2-8-0

Sometimes it's fun to run any ol' loco, on any ol' route ... or reskin a UP Challenger, or Big Boy, into CCR paint scheme ... I myself would reskin DD40X's, DD35's, UP Gas Turbine Veranda's, or U50C's, into PRR colors

Last edited:
Back