UK themed iportal group

That's interesting. Maybe there was just a temporary glitch with iPortals then; either between two sub-versions or (as I suggested in my posting of 25-Jan-13 - 2013 note - during some maintenance).

I might get back to some more organised testing soon and give a report, but I'm too busy at present).

Meanwhile, let me be quite clear as to your findings. Do the two users need the same KUID version of loco and rolling stock or just the same KUID (of potentially different versions)? Clearly any loco must match, but what happens when one or more pieces of rolling stock in the consist (or their products) do not match,. Is that piece of rolling stock just removed from the consist or is the whole consist lost?

As far as I can tell, different versions do not matter.

As for the rolling stock, if the products are not installed, or the cars them self for that matter, then the train is lost.

We where successfully send trains from many user's about in a small group. But it was a lot of work trying to match up content. Lots of asking, "Do you have this?" Even though we had list's of content used. Ive started work on a much smaller, US/Canada, group. But its just early rough drafts at the moment.

Jib,

> As for the rolling stock, if the products are not installed, or the cars them self for that matter, then the train is lost.

losing a train for a missing piece of rolling stock (other than the loco, of course) or even a product is probably at the root of most of the confusion then. It makes the whole system of limited use over the Internet.

Of course, that doesn't seem to solve John's problem. John?

In T:ANE you will (if all goes according to plan) be able to download from within Trainz, so it may be that (with a delay) iPortals will be able to download missing rolling stock and products (or even locos) that you do not yet have on your computer. I do say MAY - we can always hope!

Peter.

Last edited:
Hi and thanks,

I have Simulator 12 build 58414. It may be that when Trainz was made multiplayer capable it lost the ability for a single player to use the iportals the way I was using it.

I was using iportals to introduce new rolling stock into a saved session, in a staging yard type operation. This worked with my earlier version of Simulator 12, but once it was upgraded with later builds that stopped. I used both types of sending my units, via the internet and only within my computer. I had my primary layout running preprogrammed passenger trains. I had a separate layout to use as the staging device. The main layout had three receiving iportals. The staging layout had a yard connected to a sinle line which branched into three sending iportals. On the staging layout, I would edit the session and build a train, run the session and run the train to the sending portal of choice. Once the train was accepted and had disappeared, I would close the session down and run the main layout. In days gone by the train I sent would appear on the incoming line and I could use it on the layout. It is possible now, because of the multiplayer ability, that sending a train to yourself just cannot be done any longer. I tried both ways last night, via internet and within my computer neither worked. I also ran TRS2010 and the iPortals are not working any longer there either.

I just did a test with TRS2009, and the iportal system worked there. I made a simple test layout with a sending and a receiving portal on a single layout. I sent a loco to the sending portal and it was accepted by the receiving iportal. The loco came out and was operable. I used the only on this computer option. I tried this same test on Simulator 12 and it didn't work.

Looks like if I want to use the iportal system to create a staging layout that I can use to send trains to a saved session, I need TRS2009 for that.

I hope I didn't confuse everybody!

Hope this makes sense!

Last edited:
Hi and thanks,

I have Simulator 12 build 58414. It may be that when Trainz was made multiplayer capable it lost the ability for a single player to use the iportals the way I was using it.

I was using iportals to introduce new rolling stock into a saved session, in a staging yard type operation. This worked with my earlier version of Simulator 12, but once it was upgraded with later builds that stopped. I used both types of sending my units, via the internet and only within my computer. I had my primary layout running preprogrammed passenger trains. I had a separate layout to use as the staging device. The main layout had three receiving iportals. The staging layout had a yard connected to a sinle line which branched into three sending iportals. On the staging layout, I would edit the session and build a train, run the session and run the train to the sending portal of choice. Once the train was accepted and had disappeared, I would close the session down and run the main layout. In days gone by the train I sent would appear on the incoming line and I could use it on the layout. It is possible now, because of the multiplayer ability, that sending a train to yourself just cannot be done any longer. I tried both ways last night, via internet and within my computer neither worked. I also ran TRS2010 and the iPortals are not working any longer there either.

I just did a test with TRS2009, and the iportal system worked there. I made a simple test layout with a sending and a receiving portal on a single layout. I sent a loco to the sending portal and it was accepted by the receiving iportal. The loco came out and was operable. I used the only on this computer option. I tried this same test on Simulator 12 and it didn't work.

Looks like if I want to use the iportal system to create a staging layout that I can use to send trains to a saved session, I need TRS2009 for that.

I hope I didn't confuse everybody!

Hope this makes sense!

It can be, I have done it a few times. I think there was an update to the iPortal asset though CMP. If there is that might help.

I did see a note about Lars possibly creating a fix, but it did not have too much information. If anyone knows of a KUID number for this item, I would appreciate it.

I just did a search on the DLS; Lars ( LLj) has one item , iportal library, KUID 30671:90003:1, but it is listed as being "Obsolete". From what I could discern from the information about the file, Simulator 12 uses KUID 30671:900003:2. That is included in Simulator 12 and does not show up on the DLS. I'm going to use CMP and check out what is there in Simulator 12. I used CMP and 30671:900003:2 is in my version of Trainz, the note says that this version is "Now compatible with TS12". Unfortunately it isn't working for me.

Last edited:
Update:

I did one final test, based on some things that were mentioned in other posts. On the receiving iportal I extended the base board by one to two baseboards and then placed placed signals from the iportal so that it saw a green signal. This was to insure that the arriving locomotive had a clear track. I tried sending via internet and only on this computer, both ways resulted in no appearance of the locomotive from the receiving iportal. I think I've covered every way and sending a train to yourself in TS12 just does not work.

The only way I think I could get this to work, would be to install another copy of TS12 and register it to me using a secondary email address. That might work, but I think you would have to be sure both programs had the same build number and rolling stock. Program 1 would have the sending yard and program 2 would have the operating layout. Does anyone see why you could not register to two email addresses?

I did see a note about Lars possibly creating a fix, but it did not have too much information. If anyone knows of a KUID number for this item, I would appreciate it.

I just did a search on the DLS; Lars ( LLj) has one item , iportal library, KUID 30671:90003:1, but it is listed as being "Obsolete". From what I could discern from the information about the file, Simulator 12 uses KUID 30671:900003:2. That is included in Simulator 12 and does not show up on the DLS. I'm going to use CMP and check out what is there in Simulator 12. I used CMP and 30671:900003:2 is in my version of Trainz, the note says that this version is "Now compatible with TS12". Unfortunately it isn't working for me.

John,

Notice that, according to the (Black Pages) DLS iPortal library TS12 <KUID2:30671:90003:2> is dated 17th January 2013, so it was (if I remember correctly) before TS12 SP1hf4 - the latest update), so it may have been valid to say "now TS12 compatible" with an earlier version of TS12 (I remember it did work for a while in TS12).

As I said it seems the script uses undocumented and so potentially changeable calls within Trainz (probably TrainzUtil.exe)

Peter.

Back