replica to be constructed?

NTSEFAN

trainz rookie cartoonist
Hey everyone! it's me again!:wave:

I have just discovered something very suprising so here it is.:p

Although they have said that all of the 275 hudsons for NYC-plus the Boston & Albany versions- have been scrapped, I've notice that in the book "American Locomotives in historic photographs 1858 to 1949 by Ron Ziel" it says in the article for Boston & Albany railroad No. 610 "In the 1990s, serious consideration is being given to raising a million dollars or so to have an exact operating replica built in poland!":eek:

Is it true? Because If I win the lottery someday, I want to donate some of the million dollars to do so.:cool:

That is all.:)

There was a plan afoot in the 1970s to build one in Japan, but that fell through as the main financer...a Ross Rowland/Jerry Joe Jacobson-type who wanted one for his collection...died a day before the contract was to be signed. I'd heard rumors of the Polish engine, but as far as i know, it never got beyond the conceptual stage.

so to be blunt--no, it doesn't appear an NYC/B&A 4-6-4 will be running again any time soon. at least not in full size form (there's like a dozen scale-size ride on NYC Hudsons i know of).

lets put it this way, if you win the Lottery, you can do whatever you want. Until then, we can only dream. and Dreams do not always come true

Just for reference, the A1 Tornado took $6,000,000 (not pounds) and 18 years from conception to operation.

I'd love to see a Hudson myself, but where do I get that sort of money?......oh yeah, that gold mine on my most recent Trainz route, that oughta do something to help defray those costs:D :D ;)

to expound on that, Tornado cost $6 million and took 18 years to build, and she's a far less complex locomotive than a J-series 4-6-4. Imagine what a J3a hudson would cost to build and the time it would take. Remember, Baldwin, Lima, and ALCo are long gone, as are the massive forges and all the other machinery needed to build steam engines. Think what it would take to turn a large connecting rod, let alone make the new boiler!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see one too, but to build one it would take massive resources. Hopefully it will happen at some point, but until then, keep dreaming:eek:

Oh come on, all you really need to build a J3a is a really big and really good 3D printer.

Hello everybody! :wave:

I'm back again, this time with amazing news! :D

Despite what all of you have said, I've found this on Wikipedia.

"However, since the Peppercorn A1 60163 Tornado was completed in the UK in 2008, some volunteers known as The Hudson Steam Locomotive Revival Project[SUP][5][/SUP] (HPR) are seeking on building a live replica of the NYC J-3 Hudson to be numbered 5475 in Buffalo, New York."

If you haven't seen it, go check it out and SPREAD THE WORD! IT'S ANOTHER THING WE NEED BACK IN OUR LIVES! :udrool::cool::clap:

Hi,

The issue of building replicas becomes more and more urgent. In Switherland and Austra, they already built replicas of rack and pinion locomotives, to replace original ones operated on museum railways, which are becoming worn out.

The problem is, if you replace worn parts, as it used to be common practice during the steam era, eventually the question arises whether the locomotive is still original. There have been instances, where curators of railway museums refrained from putting museum locomotives back into a working condition from just that case.

The cost of building a replica ist largely dependent upon the technologies used. If you insist using original technologies like rivetting and materials like wrought iron or crucible steel, it is likely to become very expensive. If, on the other hand, you are content to employ modern technologies like welding and modern steel alloys, an outwardly perfectly looking and fully operational replica might not be so expensive.

Cheers,

Konni

The problem is, if you replace worn parts, as it used to be common practice during the steam era, eventually the question arises whether the locomotive is still original.
In the strictest sense the locomotive wasn't original as soon as anything was removed or altered. It all depends on what you are trying to preserve I guess.

I'll be financing the project. What other locomotives do you want?

You see I've been told I'm going to win the Publisher's Clearing House Lottery for $10,000,000 a year for life!

:D

John

Back