SW Pennsylvania Mon River Line

I SWEAR its not vaporware!

It has been a rough semester, and much like the Mon Line in the Penn Central era, my route has been languishing in a horrible state of disrepair! Now that the semester is over, I hope to be taking a break by doing some much needed Trainz work, including possibly migrating to TS2010 (Damn you, Scratchy!!) ;)

Speaking of the Penn Central era, how better to get back into the swing of things than Alcos on the Mon?

C636's head north out of Coal Center towards Elco:
slabay201112140004.jpg

slabay201112140010.jpg

C430s running light by the Corning Glass Plant in Charleroi:
slabay201112140002.jpg

Thanks to N8PHU for the new Alcos!!

where did you get the scrap piles for your scrap yard?

One of them is Derelict Car Pile 01. Another set of piles is just raised terrain covered with various Scrap Metal ground textures. Search DLS for "derelict"- I've got lots of derelict stuff just thrown around randomly.

LOL, well your doing a awesome job with it so far, very cool bridge action :)

Coming from the likes of you, that is pretty high praise- thanks! I couldn't have done it without Ben Dorsey's help too.

Your Pittsburgh Sub is looking great- I can't wait to get my hands on it, and like I said, it is the Pittsburgh Sub that has got me looking at upgrading to TS10. I read somewhere that even with the SpeedTrees, it has higher framerates than TS09. With all of the trees in an Allegheny forest, every little bit helps, especially since I am running/building with a plain-Jane MacBook (not Pro) Laptop. I'm using Trunda's trees now, but I like Pofig's stuff. We'll see how my finances are tomorrow (I should have a pretty healthy safety bonus coming to me tomorrow), I need to renew my FCT and I think I'll upgrade as well, considering the 25% off sale going on right now.

---Scott

...including possibly migrating to TS2010...

Funny, but what really caught my eye in your screenshots was that it was just plain good old fashioned high-quality route building. Good ground texturing, not excessively grassed, trees that look like trees. I like it...

Andy :)

Progress has been very slow lately, but I haven't given up! This semester's break has been filled with work (we're in our busy season and I've been busy with trainees), honey-do's, holidays, a little reskinning project, and what not, which left very little time for route building. Looks like my homework load may not be as bad this semester, so I hope to squeeze in a little building here and there.

So here's a little of what I've managed to accomplish:

Running light across Bridge Street.
slabay201201150001.jpg

Headed into Allenport
slabay201201150002.jpg

Bringing up the tail
slabay201201150000.jpg

An aerial view of Allenport in Surveyor
slabay201201150005.jpg

---Scott

I've actually been discouraged by my lack of progress on the route lately, but family, work at the height of season, calculus (sucks!), trying to buy a house, a new litter of Yorkie puppies, upgrading to TS2010, and now being sick for the past week has kept me from working on it.

In the upgrade process, it seems that Trunda's trees don't look quite so good anymore. I've used compatibility and native modes and wasn't satisfied. I've replaced them with the hated speedtrees, but I still can't find any grasses that I'm truly satisfied with. I've tried McGuireL's ultragrass, but everything still seems so blocky and pixelated. New progress seems to have taken a back seat to refining the old stuff.

A few screenies of my recent work:

At the Allenport Marina (this grass needs replaced):
slabay201203050000.jpg

Coming into the north end of Allenport:
slabay201203050001.jpg

Another shot in Allenport (McGuireL's wildflowers- better than the other grass):
slabay201203050002.jpg

Bringing up the rear passing the Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel Allenport Mill (YukonZoom's new fences- why is the barbed wire so sharp (no pun intended) while the rest of the chain link is so blocky, and it seems like ALL fences are like this now):
slabay201203050003.jpg

I'm using JointedRail's great new track for the mainline, but I wish they would put out a matching rusty version to go with it for the sidings.

---Scott

Last edited:
I dislike Auran's speed trees and have switched to Pofig's. They are fantastic and don't kill the frame rates. Give them a look.

I wasn't in the mood for any route-building work last night, but I was bit by the Trainz bug, so I broke out the JR Reskin kit- you gotta have rolling stock! Did some Conrail, Penn Central, and in-between boxes and gons.

slabay201203110005.jpg

slabay201203110004.jpg

slabay201203110003.jpg

slabay201203110002jq.jpg

slabay201203110001.jpg

slabay201203110000.jpg

I made a CR patched PC gondola, but I can't find it right now...... I guess I didn't commit it. Thanks for the great stuff, Jointed Rail!!

---Scott

That would be on the fine folks over at JR, but I certainly wouldn't mind letting them put them out. Hell, I'd be honored! I'm actually kicking around making a few more..... There are quite a few other lines that Conrail absorbed, and CR just makes it so EASY. Step one: Make someone else's car. Step two: Distress the hell out of it, slap a few patches and CR reporting marks on it. Voila! Two cars for the price of one!!!

---Scott

In that case, will the kind folks of JR please post in this thread on if you are generous enough for the release of these?

Back