750mm Freelance NG Module

Dermmy

Too many projects...
I have been working on a small narrow gauge module/diorama/whatever for the last few days. It started off as an experiment with 3D trees - mostly Pofig's stuff - then some beautiful 750mm gauge track I found on a Russian site got added - then of course it needed some rolling stock -then.....

So it threatens to turn itself into a small freelance NG route. It won't be big - maybe a half dozen boards - and it will have little if any operating potential, but creating it is the best fun I have had in Trainz for ages. No DEM, no prototype, no expectations other than seeing if I can add just one more tree before it crashes to the desktop (which it does regularly) but what the heck!

One important note: I have deliberately set out to portray the sort of narrow gauge railway that used to appeal to me in my model railway days; old, run down equipment running past dilapidated industries and more-or-less abandoned towns and villages. The route started with trees from Pofig and track from a Russian site. I have since discovered a lot of truly beautiful content while prowling around 3rd party Russian sites in pursuit of rolling stock. A lot of this content is absolutely first rate so there is an undeniable Russian theme running through the route which the choice of rolling stock only emphasises. I would like to stress however that the route is totally freelance. I have no prototype in mind and am not setting out to depict or interpret any actual location.

The first few screenshots are re-posts of a few shots that have already appeared in various threads, but they have provoked some response so I thought it worth dragging them all together into one thread.

This is the one that started it all....

ng_001.jpg

Andy

One important note: I have deliberately set out to portray the sort of narrow gauge railway that used to appeal to me in my model railway days; old, run down equipment running past dilapidated industries and more-or-less abandoned towns and villages.

Love these types of routes and drooling over the screens so far. Look forward to more.

Andy --

Absolutely stunning.

I hope it will be for public release when finished? If so, please consider making it easy for those of us who hate the search to the far corners of the Universe for that one missing asset.

Phil

Andy, you inspired me to go download some of this stuff, and now, I can happily trundle around with my Pk48 0-8-0 pulling a set of beautiful coaches, watching the slack running in and out, and hearing the rods clank realistically. It's some of the best content i've seen for Trainz, in a long time. I liken it to the day i discovered Ben Neal's steamers, and prowlers D&RGW beauties, all rolled into one (those were the 2 happiest days of the trainzing career, BTW:)). It's my narrow-gauge heaven!

on that note, i have one complaint. I can't get the dang tank cars to install!! oh well. I'm going to be back tomorrow for the rest of the freight stuff, and some more diesels. But nothing can beat that grimy 0-8-0, i tell ya.

anyway, just my 2 cents. I await this with baited breath, as a prototypical place to run my new equipment.

Very nice scenic impressions.
I love to know which russian site you got that 750mm items from, since I presume it's not Pofig's one.

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,

Jan

Outstanding work Dermmy, This looks like it's going to be a fun little Switching Route keep the screenies coming mate.
Cheers Mick.:wave:

@ Jananton - these are all good...

http://relsomania.ucoz.ru
http://uzd-life.ucoz.ru
http://750mm.at.ua
http://rdtrainz.ru

Google Toolbar's translator is your friend! Missing dependencies are a bit of an issue, but Google turned up every dependency for everything I downloaded (LOTS) bar just 4 kuids which I got from a couple of my new Russian friends.

@ Phil - I have a trick or two up my sleeve for dependencies if (OK 'when') it gets released :)

@ Mick - OK - more screens. First one is a straight pinch from EK3...

ng_006.jpg

ng_018.jpg

Andy

Last edited:
Hello Phil, Andy,

Thanks for the links guys, I will certainly do some visiting there this weekend. :)

Nice shots again. I can only say: keep them coming. :cool:

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,

Jan

Last edited:
Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Each one of those screenshots looks like it could pass as a true work of art. I don't know about you guys, but I'm finding a frame and hanging a few of these up somewhere. :cool:

Awesome work Andy. Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

I am distressed by these screenies. I have an idea; I have a concept; I have a suitable DEM; it was going to be metre gauge or 3'6" but those tracks... those TRACKS... THOSE TRAAAAAAACKS!!!!!

Hi Charlie - funny thing but I just pulled those tracks up and replaced them with these...

ng_023.jpg

...which are even better! Full 09 specs, and a VERY clever feature: the sleepers and rail are one model, the ballast is completely separate...

track0.jpg

... and by varying the height of the two items you can create everything from almost no ballast to full depth ballast...

track1.jpg

Lovely stuff! There are about a twenty texture variations for sleepers and rail, a couple of ballasts, 2m for curves and a more economical length for straights. Oops, I nearly forgot to mention the animated junctions - I haven't got their set-up figured out yet (instructions are a Russian pdf which I can't translate) but I'm working on it.

All by 'dmitriskif' and available from Relsomania...

Andy ;)

Last edited:
Your screens are great Andy, very well done, and the new tracks are a great find. It's a shame there's so much great content that's NOT on the DLS.

It's a shame there's so much great content that's NOT on the DLS.

This is not a disgrace. Shame, this is what is commonly said DLS users that want to download something. "Please try again later".

Well, that's a valid point Pofig. Let's meet in the middle and say it's a shame (or disgrace) that there isn't a central site that is reliable and free that routes builders can release their creations through. Also, said site should include all dependencies when the route is downloaded, should automatically correct for version and build number, and should install into game without hesitation. In addition the site should contain all the content available for all builds of Trainz, and should be hosted and maintained for free, perhaps by a wealthy philanthropist such as Bruce Wayne.

That should do it.;)

Back