Trains in Games

Got a new one. World of Tanks. Haven't figured out how to take a screen shot yet, but in one large map, there's two, maybe three Russian trains derailed while you fight around them.

In a second map there's a HUGE (emphasis on HUGE) rail yard full of german type vans and flatcars. Lastly, one map has a really detailed passenger station, which makes a PERFECT hiding place for anti tank guns.

UT2004 has Trains on one map, i think its ONS-Urban. They are underground subway trains.

And i think it might have been mentioned, but theres always AS-Highspeed in UT GOTY, which takes place on a huge freight/passenger train.

I also think the game Xtreme Express should have some kind of honorable mention.

The entire game is about racing trains against each other.

How could I forget Driver 1 and 2? Awesome games, and if you're skilled enough the train can lead to a little bug or two ;)

Dude, with driver 2, you didn't need the train to lead you to a bug, you just had to drive around for a bit. :hehe:

Metal Slug. You fight a massive cannon that rolls on two sets of tracks because of it's sheer size. You also ride on a train through a jungle and eventually a large industrial city.
And to add to the massive post I made on page 1, I built a nuclear power plant (CnC Generals: Zero Hour) on the train tracks then learnt that a train comes around every 10 minutes in-game.........ow.......

Dude, with driver 2, you didn't need the train to lead you to a bug, you just had to drive around for a bit. :hehe:

In the tunnel, where the train stands you can defy the laws of nature, you can pedal to the metal to the train's end and not move anywhere. Until you move to the side of the train, then all the speed come crashing back again. And in the testcource on Driver 1 there is a tunnel down the long stretch of road. I can remember glitching my way past it. I think it had a train.

Mario world I think, one of the old Mario games had something that resembles a cannontrain, long long cannon train with epic music. And of cource Stalin Subway has Metro-2.

Chase the Express: entire game takes place on a hijacked express train.

South Park Rally: has a 2 car train on the City level, and a 4 car passenger train on Mountain.

Driver 3: one of the missions had you chasing a train, and it has several yards with boxcars and carriages.

Killing Floor: one of the levels is on a London Underground station, complete with trains.

Unreal Tournament 3: one of the levels takes place next to some light rail tracks which have been destroyed, and a train occasionally floespast on a bridge.

Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus: multiple scenes and levels feature a high speed monorail which is run by the ingame corporation, Feeco Depot. They are used to go to different areas of the game and are usually seen carting bones.

Xtreme Express: a racing game, you are given a selection of fictional trains from different countries, each with different speed, cornering, etc, and you race other trains in a point-to-point, or station-to-station race. First train to come to a complete stop at the last station is the winner. False starts and over shooting the station are penalized.

Got in game, checked of the areas in winter, and then took the main shots in spring. Only one of the trains did I feel looked better in winter.

Also the only moving train in the game, well other than two scripted ones in the beginning of the game, doesn't run in the winter but it sits as if waiting for a light to turn green, or in design terms, waiting for the script to be activated.

You can see the idling train through the woods.

The one above is way off on a section of the map that indicated it has no track.

The only steam in the station. Oddly enough it has a load of freight instead of passenger cars.

One view of the main passenger trains, much like the main character arrives in the city on.

The same train mainly, only it's facing the opposite direction on the outbound track.

A view of the yard that was mentioned numerous times.

The steam train heading toward the turntable. Doesn't move but it does sit there and look pretty.

A nice view of the logo on the side of the tender along with the name of the railroad.

Here's a nice view of the turntable. Behind it is actually the railroad bridge leading into the city. The tracks lead to the harbor. The only trains that have been seen on those tracks were scripted for the second chapter.

So that is the wonderful view of the Empire Bay Railway.

I also took images of the station, and a few spots which prove the subway was unfinished thus the reason why it wasn't included in game when oddly enough it was in every single preview and in the first teaser trailer.

They look so good.

The Streamlined loco looks like the Milw F7's

Last edited:
Great looking steam engines!

wow,I am stunned by the detail those two steam engines had,one streamlined,the other is not even though it looks a little weird to see the track which is next to the small steam engine but either way, nice find!;)

Talked to the devs (I'm working with them) about the trains in World of Tanks. If I can get some time later tonight I've been given permission to set up some training rooms (No pun intended) to take screen shots of them. Apparently, in later missions they'll get more detailed and may become key destroyable targets.

Wait A Minute

I like seeing Trains in games, here are a few examples:
<snip>

Tycoon games

You will be saying 'Well duh Captain Obvious, Railroad Tycoon". I was actually thinking of RollerCoaster Tycoon, trains are a good attraction to place.

http://themeparkvillage.com/tutorials/rct3/images/rrcrossing/07.jpg

I'm gonna stop now, I've spent almost an hour on this single post.:hehe:
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Uh I know that's a mod for Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, but could you tell me where you got the American style crossing gates and lights? I've looked all over for that since I saw it earlier. :confused:

Steve Walden
Colorado Railroads blog

Editor@corailroads.com

In Harry and the Haunted House from Living Books, a painting of a train can be seen when harry and the gang hide behind the couch. The train comes to life when you click on it. God I love that game when I was young, I hope to buy a new copy of it someday if I can.:) :udrool:

In the Big Brain Academy game for Wii there is a puzzle called Tram Turn or something like that. It has a small tram that you build tracks for so it can get to the other station. And I don't think anyone has mentioned Hornby Virtual Railway, and HVR2. I have HVR2.

In Brothers In Arms: Hour Of Heroes, there is a level where you have to destroy an armoured train. In Halo Wars, there is one level where you have to protect civilians evacuating from the subway from the Covenant and in Halo 3:ODST there is a level where the team attempts to escape through the maglev tunnels, only to find out that they are flooded and therefore impassable. Finally, in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 there is a level where you fight in a rail yard. I love to blow up the tanker carz!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Army of Two;The 40th day...In the Shanghi Zoo, theres a little monorail tour train
ONLINE:Roblox.
Subway rail sim.(DUH AGAIN)
and in,,,thats about it........

I know this is a computer game thread but has anybody seen the UP SD-70M in Need for Speed Underground 2 for PS2 in coal harbor yard? It is horrible.:'(

The No-One Lives Forever series featured trains at a few points too.

In NOLF 1 there's a level set on a train, followed by one in a small sorting yard outside the badguys' base...

I can't remember if there are any in NOLF2, but I remember in Contract JACK you jump on board a moving train (from a motorbike? I forget) in Czechoslovakia (or not? I forget), and then have to fight your way off it at the next station.

Trains also make a very small appearance in The Simpsons: Virtual Sprinfield, in one corner of the map. It's just a string of never-ending boxcars, that are only animated when you move, but still.

Back