Trainz: A New Era Pre-Orders Have Now Arrived! - Visit our Information Page to find out more.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trains in Games

gta sa

has amtrak in it (you can crash the trains )

(sigh) still too young

United States of America, washington, spanaway

Quote Originally Posted by SPNGTyler View Post

Combat Arms: This is downloadable for free online. Just look it up. There is one map where a train goes by with a diesel (Looks like a SD-70?! ) and a few flat cars with tanks and a box car or two.
    what map might that be?
    Union Pacific and Chessie System, What Else?
    shoving my head where i don't need to be since 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by gary6204 View Post
    what map might that be?
    JunkFlea. Doesnt matter what game type. You here it right before it comes, and as it passes through.
    Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by al.sa View Post
    Now that would be awesome. Do we get to see the carriages as well? With Stalker interiors? Do keep us posted in the freeware/payware departments.
    No interiors besides the Locomotive, but yes, rollingstock too
    And to think i'd never upgrade from 2006...

Found anather Thread on this subject, interested, search "What Other Games Have You Seen Trains In".

Halo ODST Had a whole Subway complex you had to fight through

The Sims 2 Free Time had a model railroad you could Purchase.

Far Cry 2 had a railroad surrounding the map with a mission or two involving trains, static items but they were trains.

Just Cause 1 had 2 missions dealing with trains.

Mirrors Edge had quite a few run ins with the subways.

Bioshock 2 has a whole underwater rail system.

Left 4 Dead 1 has Subways and Railroads.

Left 4 Dead 2, you start out in a boxcar of a crashed train in "Swamp Fever." Also looks to be a train piece in the new addon " The Sacrifice" for Left 4 Dead 1 and 2.

Time Shift had a few trains with an interesting sequence where you rode a runaway train, stopped time and got off, and watched it careen of the rails into a canyon.

Alan Wake has a few trains.

Mafia 1 has a complete Trolley and EL system with a small section of track for a Grand Central station and an area where in a mission you put a car onto the train tracks in from of the oncoming steamer.

Mafia 2 shows off to have the same EL system along with railroads. Trolleys haven't been proven yet or if the railroads or EL system was as good as Mafia.

Red Faction Armageddon, coming out in a year or two, seems to have a overhead monorail system.

Kingdom Hearts 2 has a quite a bit of trolley/tram action.

Rugrats in Paris, yes there was a game, had you switch areas by subway.

Metro 2033, obviously there are trains. It takes place entirely in the Moscow Metro system.

Saints Row 1 and 2 have an EL system.

It's hard to really contemplate how many trains are actually in games. For many years trains have been used in ways to convey long trips and adventure. Their also the main way to transport goods other than trucks. I know I have more games with trains in them but a few of them have already been said like the GTA's etc.

I'm quite curious what train action Half Life 2 Episode 3 will bring us.

Burnout Paradise - There's a whole railroad system for the town. Though it's been shut down, there's a lot of old stock around. Including a loco which looks like a CLP Class in the orange ARG livery, though it's a Bo-Bo instead of a Co-Co. There's also some Superliners, for all those Amtrak fans, if you look in the right spot.

Thanks,
    Mitch

This train is made up of avatars here on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SPNGTyler View Post
    Red Dead Revolver: Several in this. The initial train that takes you to the town that becomes your main place, and latter when you kill a Mexican General there is an amored train (And yes this was a Wild West game)

Red Dead Redemption: The most amazing free roam game ever. Multiplayer has the tracks, but no trains. In Single player, there are at most two trains, both belonging to the "Pacific Union" (hmmm, now what does that sound like? ). Only thing that bugs me about this game and the trains are that there is only 1 guy in the cab, and that there is a grade that is like WAYYYY to steep.

This is one of my favorite games ever. The train adds to the old west vibe, but it has platforms between all of the cars, even freight cars (to help game play of course) and although the textures are nice, the models are pure fantasy. Roller bearing trucks in the old west?! But for as bad-assed as the game is, these are minor oversights. Yes, there is just one guy in the cab, but you can splatter his brains with your big fat revolver, so that's kind of nice. I do wish you could control the train, besides the one mission where you have to stop it.

N3VRF41L... Really... N3VR ?

United States of America, Connecticut, Putnam

Quote Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
    This is one of my favorite games ever. The train adds to the old west vibe, but it has platforms between all of the cars, even freight cars (to help game play of course) and although the textures are nice, the models are pure fantasy. Roller bearing trucks in the old west?! But for as bad-assed as the game is, these are minor oversights. Yes, there is just one guy in the cab, but you can splatter his brains with your big fat revolver, so that's kind of nice. I do wish you could control the train, besides the one mission where you have to stop it.
    Yes the train isn't 100% realistic but it is one of the best portrayals of trains in a console game that I've seen. There is one mission where you have to steal a train, take it down the line, then rig it with explosives however after you press the button to take control of the train it goes to a cutscene. My only complaint is the extremely steep grades and extermely sharp corners at several junctions, I can over look all the other things.

The trains aren't bad in the other Rockstar games either
    GTA IV has the most realistic network in my opinion, there are also quite a few abandon rail lines around the map, including one trough the abandon sprunk factory, and lets not forget about Grand Easton (Central) Terminal, though you can't go inside it plays a role in one of the missions. Also in one of the GTA IV expansion packs available there is a mission where you steal (using a helicopter) a moving subway train but no people or a driver appear to get out, very unrealistic. Also in this mission the subways have the same horn is the TRS default F7.

GTA San Andreas has a commuter network called the Brown Streak (obviously a crap joke) If you want to you can drive the trains, your choice of an engine that looks like an F40 or an engine that looks like an SD40. The trains in this game like in all Rockstar games are indestructible, if you derail one and it lands in the water the train will stay floating. The San Fransisco cable cars are also in the game but are unstoppable and don't appear to have a driver or any passengers.

GTA III has an El and subway system though the one in IV puts this one to shame.

GTA 1 and 2 also have trains, making Vice City the only one without a rail network.

Mafia 2 is suppose to have an El network and rail system based on the New York Central, though since I don't own the game I can't tell more about it.

In several James Bond games trains make an appearance, in From Russia With Love game you have to fight a soldier on the Orient Express.

There are some Need for Speed games with trains but I can't remember which ones.

Roller Coaster Tycoon features a miniature railroad for your park and you can build a tram network.

I believe all of the 18 Wheels of Steel games have trains in them. Most of the time its just a bridge over the highway with a train that passes over just for show. In the first game of that series, Hard Truck 18 Wheels of Steel, there is a railroad crossing that trains pass over, you can get hit and a message pops up saying you were killed, you can also park trailers on the track but the only thing that happens is the trailer disappears when the train hits it. The freight train in the game is pulled by what looks like an E7 and is pulling what looks like Australian freight wagons. There is also passenger train pulled by an F7.

Yall who have Read Dead Redemption, you have Xbox360 or something else?

If 360, we need to get on and play mulitiplayer and complain how there are no trains in Multiplayer .
    Tyler

I've played Mafia 2 and railroad wise I'm disappointed. 10 chapter in and the EL hasn't appeared once. The last moving train I saw was around chapter 2. I still have 4 chapters and I'm hoping for a free roam mode at the end but...

As a review on Kotaku said, Empire Bay looks, and sometimes feels, very much like a model railroad. It's sad not to see moving trains on the tracks in this game other than the brief bits in cutscenes and in the first and second missions.

Edit: Okay so I have to update this. Finished the game and there is no free roam. It is said they took it out before release because they wanted the initial product to be all about the story. They will supposably be patching it back in in the future. From my perspective after doing maybe three of four hours wandering the city is implementing the things that weren't done. There is a train but it's on the far right of the map and it was only available briefly as it passed along some tracks the player can not see the whole route for. Along with that I found a steam locomotive all steamed up but no track to run down.

I feel after they release the Free Roam addon a lot of things will be added. There are many places on the map that you can get too but are behind gates that are strong as titanium. There are also some areas that seem to be there for "downloadable content." There seems to be a whole country side waiting to be explored but it is behind locks and down roads that can never be drove down. I'm hoping they also add the train seen on the back of the box along the EL system, looked at some of the tunnels for it and it seems like it was a complete system but they ran into bugs before release.

Mafia 2 is a very detailed world, now if only everyone else could explore it without having to be stuck in a mission.
    Last edited by perry_weekley; August 28th, 2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Finished the game and decided to update post.

Default *Facepalm*

I can't believe I didn't remember this one, in Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix, there is a tram network in San Diego, an elevated train in Detroit, and an elevated train in Tokyo.
    Last edited by jmeinig; August 26th, 2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: my reason for editing didn't turn out right

Did you say model railroad?

http://vg-metro.ru/ Here I dug this up recently. A completely enthusiast Subway simulation with gate jumping and train riding. You can walk in the tunnels as well. I think the newest version is under development.

Probably the absolute WORST train in another game is this one:

From Delta Force BlackHawk Down. Pretty bad, eh? And the track is horrible, too...

Blog Entries

I took some time during Mafia 2 to do some exploring. I was shocked with what I found.

There are no moving trains on the game, save maybe one or two you see, but the detail level is scary!

First, there is a very nicely detailed turntable, which a short distance away has a beautiful streamlined locomotive. This engine, a 4-4-4 has great lines and would look nice in trainz.

The other thing, is if you get to the train station, (one of them there are two best I can tell) you can find a whole host of detailed cars and a number of BEAUTIFUL F units and streamlined trains waiting. The track is well built, and the trains ride ON them, not in them as you see with so many other games.

The streamliner looks to be this engine, but in a different wheel arrangement.

Oddly it has a short freight train behind it.

Edit: It could also be a copy of the Reading Crusader. Colors are similar...
    Last edited by magickmaker; August 29th, 2010 at 01:49 PM.