Trains in Games

robogo

Since whe have a Trains in Movies and a Trains in Songs thread, how about a Trains in (Computer) Games thread. I can think of a few but will only mention the one that I am currently playing. It is about an Irishman in Paris, set at the start and during WWII. It features really mean looking armoured Nazi trainz which you get to blow up, it also have the ugliest tracks that you have ever seen. Very good game if you are into Action Adventure Shooters. No under 18's.

The Saboteur.

Oh dear god, i cannot believe that i am seriously going to do this, but anyway here goes:

I hear that Auran Trainz simulator is a pretty good game, if trains are your thing.

My apologies to you Robogo, but someone was bound to do it, sooner or later, i just got in first.:D

Matt.

Oh dear god, i cannot believe that i am seriously going to do this, but anyway here goes:

I hear that Auran Trainz simulator is a pretty good game, if trains are your thing.

My apologies to you Robogo, but someone was bound to do it, sooner or later, i just got in first.:D

Matt.

Good one! :D :wave:

18 wheels of steel american long haul if you go through the right town there are some, along with 18 wheels of steel extreme trucker (only in the australia region)

Last edited:
I like seeing Trains in games, here are a few examples:

Battlefield Series and other first person shooters
I would have taken my own screeny of a train in Battlefield 2 but a massive tank was parked infront of the loco, blowing the heck out of me:(
http://forum.i3d.net/modifications-bf2/23625-bf2-map-alpine-train.html
(scroll down for the images)

You can also find some pretty well-detailed trains in Battlefield 1942, with one map being fully focused on a Russian train yard.

They also exist on Medal of Honour and Call of Duty as ffar as I know, in Medal of Honour: Rsing Sun, you can go multiplayer on a map focused on a train wreck on a bridge, btw it's my favourite map in the game.

The Command and Conquer series

There are some trains featured in Command and Conquer, most notably in Generals and Generals: Zero Hour. I found one image but it was 30x30 pixels. In command and Conquer 3 you can also find a futuristic tram thingy which rides through a half pipe although the actual train isn't featured.

RuneScape

Minecarts feature as a hepful feature in this game, not much story I guess but yeah. You find these in 3 places.
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100203044523/runescape/images/thumb/f/f6/Keldagrim_Carts.png/180px-Keldagrim_Carts.png

http://runescapetips.org/images/guides/soh_end.gif

http://runescape.salmoneus.net/cities/images/seerscoaltruck.png

Tycoon games

You will be saying 'Well duh Captain Obvious, Railroad Tycoon". I was actually thinking of RollerCoaster Tycoon, trains are a good attraction to place.

http://themeparkvillage.com/tutorials/rct3/images/rrcrossing/07.jpg

I'm gonna stop now, I've spent almost an hour on this single post.:hehe:

To apologise for my earlier post, i shall add to the list with:

Goldeneye 007 (Nintendo 64)

Halo 2 (one of the mutiplayer maps, if i recall correctly.)

That's all i can think of at the moment. Again, i apologise for my earlier post, i just couldn't restrain myself.:D:D

Matt.

I know Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II has a train crash map. (X-box 360)

EDIT: I also know Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood has a mp where you need to blow up a train car and a train bridge.

"Sniper" art of victory has a German steam loco on level two.

"Duke Nukem 3D" has an under ground metro system on one of the levels.

"Call of Duty" World at War.

The Darkness has 2 fantastic underground stations, along with very realistic New York type trains, The Darkness is a must play game, I promise, you will have never played a game like this before (WARNING: if you play The Darkness with the lights off, you may experience nightmares).

Talking of New York type trains, Grand Theft Auto 4 also has a superb underground network with underground trains.

Joe Airtime

Last edited:
A significant number of Final Fantasy games feature trains in one form or another:

Final Fantasy I 'Dawn of Souls' - The GBA remake of the very first FF game featured the 'Phantom Train' monster from FFVI as an enemy to fight in one of the special areas.

Final Fantasy VI - features the 'Phantom Train', a ghostly train that transports the newly departed to the afterlife, which Sabin, Cyan and Shadow ride on (and have to fight the locomotive in order to alight from it - amongst other things it throws it's wheels at them!). The train in question is rather odd looking, with really antiquated carriages and a locomotive that appears to be a strange kind of articulated engine (like a Mallet).

Final Fantasy VII - the opening movie to the game features a streamlined steam locomotive hauling a train of tank wagons which Cloud and the AVALANCHE resistance group ride on. Cloud later dangerously jumps onto the roof of a moving passenger train from an overhead bridge in order to escape from the law, and ends up inside it.

An actual area of the city of Midgar is called the 'Train Graveyard', an appropriate name for a place that resembles a scrapyard with wrecked carriages and rusting locomotives lying forlornly everywhere. A later stage of the game features a runaway coal train, with Cid and his party having to fight their way along the train to the locomotive in order to stop it from crashing into a small shanty town at the end of the line (if you fail the train crashes in a spectacular movie scene).

Finally there is a strange cable car (which runs on rails at stations) which uses propellers for propulsion that runs to a large amusement park in the sky.

Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core - appropriately for FFVII's prequel, the game's opening features Zack having to defeat a group of enemy soldiers who have hijacked a passenger train (identical in design to that from the original FFVII). Later in the game Zack can ride the same train between Midgar's Sector 1 Station and Sector 5 for free.

Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus - Towards the end of the game, Vincent ends up in the ruins of the Train Graveyard area of Midgar from the original game, and has to dodge and weave his way amongst and through the wrecked carriages to avoid enemy gunfire.

Final Fantasy VIII - trains are a major form of transport in the game's world, with lines snaking all over the main continent, which Squall and his friends can ride for the not so low price of 3000 gil a ticket. There is also a scene where Squall has to switch a carriage carrying a VIP from a moving train and exchange it with a decoy, a completely ridiculous (not to mention impossible!) scene, but still fun nonetheless.

There is also a magic spell called 'Doomtrain' which summons a demonic train from the sky which runs down the enemy on rails of fire!

Final Fantasy IX - there is a funicular railway across a mountain range called the 'Berkmea Cableway', which Steiner and Garnet ride on (and which is attacked by a demonic magician during the journey). The city of Lindblum also features a rack subway giving access between the city gate and the harbour.

Final Fantasy XI Online - the Movalpolos and Gusgen Mines areas feature abandoned mine tracks and carts snaking through these areas, but they're not able to be ridden on sadly.

Final Fantasy XII - there is an area called Barheim Passage that was formerly an underground railway used for transportation, but was disused when air travel was invented, and has become derelict during the game.

Final Fantasy XIII - the very first part of the game features Lightning and Sazh hijacking a (diesel?) powered train taking unfortunate deportees to the world of Pulse as part of the 'Purge' (with the eventual result that the train becomes a complete wreck). Later in the game, the 'Fifth Ark' area features underground rail tunnels and derelict locomotives which resemble the train from the beginning of the game.

Incidentally, there was already a thread on this very subject, found here: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=12843 but, but it's really old and probably no longer worth posting in. ;)

Last edited:
Fallout 3 has an extensive subway network, a Maglev, and a railroad tunnel to the north of the map

Starcraft 2:

These are curious armored maglev trains. One whole mission is about derailing them.

Red Dead Redemption:

A rather extensive service, which of course you can rob.

The Sim City series (Classic, 2000, 3000, 4, whatever the current one is) all have trains.
Cities XL (and it's predecesor) has trains
Sim Tower has a subway station you can put in (with trains that go thru)
Streets of Sim City
MSTS
RS/RW
MSFS has addon trains
Company of Heros
Where in America is Carmen San Diego The Great Amtrak Train Adventure
most of the GTA series has em
I believe Half Life has some
World of Subways
I believe Where in Earth is Carmen Sandiego mentions the Orient Express

peter

pict136.jpg

Thare is one in "NFS:MW":eek::eek: DR:wave:

Matt.

NO apology needed, this IS suppose to be fun, right!

Uncharded 2 ( no I don't have an XBox).

Resident Evil 2 o PS1.

Dead Space, a train (of sorts) on a space ship to progress between levels (this will also give you nightmares, daytime play only).

NFS Underground, beat the train to the crossing, ouch.

NO apology needed, this IS suppose to be fun, right!

Uncharded 2 ( no I don't have an XBox).

Resident Evil 2 o PS1.

Dead Space, a train (of sorts) on a space ship to progress between levels (this will also give you nightmares, daytime play only).

NFS Underground, beat the train to the crossing, ouch.

Robogo,

Good to see you can take a joke. It's all in the name of fun, and anyway, if i hadn't done it, someone else would have.:D

Cheers,

Matt.

Back