Trains in Games

Crysis Warhead - you get a couple of train related missions (not driving) and the effects are quite well done.

GTA IV subway has been mentioned in other threads, again you can ride it but not drive.

Most of the subway sections in Fallout 3 are abandoned/derelict/collapsed and mainly put put there as a means to circumnavigate the impassable collapsed buildings in the city centre. Just beware of mirelurks and ghouls!

Battlestations Pacific also has a mission where you strafe/destroy an enemy train.

I was playing a Modern Warefare game, and it had a derailed (upright though) Geep and a string of derailed boxcars. Whats worse is that its based in Europe (Europe doesn't have GP units)

Syberia I and Syberia II have a really neat clockwork train (not to mention tons of other really cool clockwork stuff and lots of good puzzles to solve)

NBA street,that has a basketball court that is close to the railroad tracks and guarded by a fence that is set in a industrial area in Detroit!;)

In call of duty roads to victory. Their is a derailed freight train when you do a mission for the candian army to capture a causeway. In Midnight Club LA Remix. In the tokyo map there are elvated trains. Various gta's have trains. GTA 3, GTA LCS, GTA4 have elevated train and subways. GTA SA you can drive a freight train or commuter train or hop a tram.:cool:
In Call of Duty Roads to Victory. Their is a level where you do various missions for the Candian Army. The mission has you capture a causeway in the Battle of the Scheldt. The freight train has steam locomotive, tender, faltcat, boxcar. It looks like plane bombed the tracks as it went over.

Last edited:
I believe HL2 has DR1 (DMU) and TEM2 (Diesel shunter) Plus it has that cool Razor train. It has some French/Romanian signalling and catenary as well. Many of the railroad settings in HL2 could be replicated in Trainz actually.

Call of Duty (ORIGINAL): In russia there are a few places where there are wrecks engines & cars.

Call of Duty "United Offencive": The expansion pack to the first one. This one even had moving trains! Again, only in Russia, but the first Russian Level you are in a box car, which then gets bommed, and the last level your reinforcements come storming in on a train.

Call of Duty "World at War": Some trains in this. Again ONLY russia, but one level your get in, the next, you get out.

The Great Escape!: Yes, there was a game made. I have it for the original Xbox. There is a scene where you sneek into a french switch tower and change the signal, causing a train to exit a tunnel, and slam into the Panzer inbetween you and freedom.

Red Dead Revolver: Several in this. The initial train that takes you to the town that becomes your main place, and latter when you kill a Mexican General there is an amored train (And yes this was a Wild West game)

Red Dead Redemption: The most amazing free roam game ever. Multiplayer has the tracks, but no trains. In Single player, there are at most two trains, both belonging to the "Pacific Union" (hmmm, now what does that sound like?:hehe: ). Only thing that bugs me about this game and the trains are that there is only 1 guy in the cab, and that there is a grade that is like WAYYYY to steep.

Brothers In Arms "Hells Highway": Already mentioned I know, and not one single engine, but you fight in a few train stations. Not bad.

Combat Flight Simulator 3: This was an amazing game, though now VERY old. It was a game where you flew ww2 aircraft in combat. It takes place mostly in France, and there are trains. However, they are all Tank engines.

Combat Arms: This is downloadable for free online. Just look it up. There is one map where a train goes by with a diesel (Looks like a SD-70?!:eek: ) and a few flat cars with tanks and a box car or two.

Microsoft Train Simulator: Duh?:hehe:

Trainz: Again, Duh?:sleep:

Halo 2: While not realy in single player, there is a multiplayer map where there is a maglev type train that can kill you.

Halo 3: Some track from the maglev, and a little tram in a space station.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 & 3 (Not sure bout 1, dont own it): You can lay a theme park line in that game. And I know that in an expansion to #2, you can have american style locomotives intstead of the European style.

Medal of honor: Been some time since Iv played, but I know there are several levels that are train themed. This goes for nearly EVERY MOH game I have played.

Gun: Wild West game, of course, a train.

Call of Juarez: Wild West again, of course trains. Although the passenger cars look Australian.

Thats all I can think of now, I may be back with more:wave: :hehe:

I believe HL2 has DR1 (DMU) and TEM2 (Diesel shunter) Plus it has that cool Razor train. It has some French/Romanian signalling and catenary as well. Many of the railroad settings in HL2 could be replicated in Trainz actually.

I've been working on a Model of the Razor Train

All of the sounds work successfully on a test model, just need to get the actual one textured and working properly.

Halo ODST Had a whole Subway complex you had to fight through

The Sims 2 Free Time had a model railroad you could Purchase.

Far Cry 2 had a railroad surrounding the map with a mission or two involving trains, static items but they were trains.

Just Cause 1 had 2 missions dealing with trains.

Mirrors Edge had quite a few run ins with the subways.

Bioshock 2 has a whole underwater rail system.

Left 4 Dead 1 has Subways and Railroads.

Left 4 Dead 2, you start out in a boxcar of a crashed train in "Swamp Fever." Also looks to be a train piece in the new addon " The Sacrifice" for Left 4 Dead 1 and 2.

Time Shift had a few trains with an interesting sequence where you rode a runaway train, stopped time and got off, and watched it careen of the rails into a canyon.

Alan Wake has a few trains.

Mafia 1 has a complete Trolley and EL system with a small section of track for a Grand Central station and an area where in a mission you put a car onto the train tracks in from of the oncoming steamer.

Mafia 2 shows off to have the same EL system along with railroads. Trolleys haven't been proven yet or if the railroads or EL system was as good as Mafia.

Red Faction Armageddon, coming out in a year or two, seems to have a overhead monorail system.

Kingdom Hearts 2 has a quite a bit of trolley/tram action.

Rugrats in Paris, yes there was a game, had you switch areas by subway.

Metro 2033, obviously there are trains. It takes place entirely in the Moscow Metro system.

Saints Row 1 and 2 have an EL system.

It's hard to really contemplate how many trains are actually in games. For many years trains have been used in ways to convey long trips and adventure. Their also the main way to transport goods other than trucks. I know I have more games with trains in them but a few of them have already been said like the GTA's etc.

I'm quite curious what train action Half Life 2 Episode 3 will bring us. :D

Burnout Paradise - There's a whole railroad system for the town. Though it's been shut down, there's a lot of old stock around. Including a loco which looks like a CLP Class in the orange ARG livery, though it's a Bo-Bo instead of a Co-Co. There's also some Superliners, for all those Amtrak fans, if you look in the right spot.

Thanks,
Mitch

Red Dead Revolver: Several in this. The initial train that takes you to the town that becomes your main place, and latter when you kill a Mexican General there is an amored train (And yes this was a Wild West game)

Red Dead Redemption: The most amazing free roam game ever. Multiplayer has the tracks, but no trains. In Single player, there are at most two trains, both belonging to the "Pacific Union" (hmmm, now what does that sound like?:hehe: ). Only thing that bugs me about this game and the trains are that there is only 1 guy in the cab, and that there is a grade that is like WAYYYY to steep.

This is one of my favorite games ever. The train adds to the old west vibe, but it has platforms between all of the cars, even freight cars (to help game play of course) and although the textures are nice, the models are pure fantasy. Roller bearing trucks in the old west?! But for as bad-assed as the game is, these are minor oversights. Yes, there is just one guy in the cab, but you can splatter his brains with your big fat revolver, so that's kind of nice. I do wish you could control the train, besides the one mission where you have to stop it.

This is one of my favorite games ever. The train adds to the old west vibe, but it has platforms between all of the cars, even freight cars (to help game play of course) and although the textures are nice, the models are pure fantasy. Roller bearing trucks in the old west?! But for as bad-assed as the game is, these are minor oversights. Yes, there is just one guy in the cab, but you can splatter his brains with your big fat revolver, so that's kind of nice. I do wish you could control the train, besides the one mission where you have to stop it.
Yes the train isn't 100% realistic but it is one of the best portrayals of trains in a console game that I've seen. There is one mission where you have to steal a train, take it down the line, then rig it with explosives however after you press the button to take control of the train it goes to a cutscene. My only complaint is the extremely steep grades and extermely sharp corners at several junctions, I can over look all the other things.

The trains aren't bad in the other Rockstar games either
GTA IV has the most realistic network in my opinion, there are also quite a few abandon rail lines around the map, including one trough the abandon sprunk factory, and lets not forget about Grand Easton (Central) Terminal, though you can't go inside it plays a role in one of the missions. Also in one of the GTA IV expansion packs available there is a mission where you steal (using a helicopter) a moving subway train but no people or a driver appear to get out, very unrealistic. Also in this mission the subways have the same horn is the TRS default F7.

GTA San Andreas has a commuter network called the Brown Streak (obviously a crap joke) If you want to you can drive the trains, your choice of an engine that looks like an F40 or an engine that looks like an SD40. The trains in this game like in all Rockstar games are indestructible, if you derail one and it lands in the water the train will stay floating. The San Fransisco cable cars are also in the game but are unstoppable and don't appear to have a driver or any passengers.

GTA III has an El and subway system though the one in IV puts this one to shame.

GTA 1 and 2 also have trains, making Vice City the only one without a rail network.

Mafia 2 is suppose to have an El network and rail system based on the New York Central, though since I don't own the game I can't tell more about it.

In several James Bond games trains make an appearance, in From Russia With Love game you have to fight a soldier on the Orient Express.

There are some Need for Speed games with trains but I can't remember which ones.

Roller Coaster Tycoon features a miniature railroad for your park and you can build a tram network.

I believe all of the 18 Wheels of Steel games have trains in them. Most of the time its just a bridge over the highway with a train that passes over just for show. In the first game of that series, Hard Truck 18 Wheels of Steel, there is a railroad crossing that trains pass over, you can get hit and a message pops up saying you were killed, you can also park trailers on the track but the only thing that happens is the trailer disappears when the train hits it. The freight train in the game is pulled by what looks like an E7 and is pulling what looks like Australian freight wagons. There is also passenger train pulled by an F7.

Yall who have Read Dead Redemption, you have Xbox360 or something else?

If 360, we need to get on and play mulitiplayer and complain how there are no trains in Multiplayer:hehe: .

Back