Updating DirectX 9.0c- how to do it

If you don’t have a DirectX 9 directory, then how do think you are running Trainz?

Obviously using DX10.
Trainz will run without DirectX if you use OpenGL, you should know that.;) Failing TrainzDiag on DX doesn't stop you running it.
However here it is working in DirectX as well.

Plus as I'm not running any ancient Trainz software that won't work in DirectX 10 plus, it works.
I did not add DX9c or update it, other than the usual DX10 /11 updates, there are obviously the DX9 emulation files or whatever they use, that come with a Win7 base install there is however no DX9 folder, they are located in System32 along with the rest of the DX files.

It performs no differently than my main Win7 PC which has DirectX 9c.

Using TrainzDiag would infer DX9 is not required in Win7 but is in XP, again obviously as XP does not have DX10.

In Win7 it states DirectX 10 or later.
In XP on a different PC it states DirectX 9c or later.

Also 2009 runs on Linux without any DirectX, obviously it fails TrainzDiag but apart from the lack of Content manager functionality it works far better in OpenGL than it does in Windows or DirectX on the same PC.

Maybe the latest 2009/10 patches have rectified the DX9 problem in Win7 Vista or maybe the latest DirectX 10/11 updates from MS have? Not going to worry about it though as it works.

HELP NEEDED

Redist version - Recommended for Windows Vista/7 systems and for users that have not yet installed DirectX 9.0C(Also use if you have DirectX 10/11 installed)

This can be downloaded from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...11&clcid=0x409.

====================================================
I am runing windows 7 and downloded the above .
It asked me where do I want the download to go and I replyed / to my desktop ..
I did it twice and it put 49 folders on my desk top.

Being 86 years old I am not to sharo on computers..
If there ia anyone living in the eastcoast of the USA could help ne verbily E mail me or send me a privet message and let meknow ,,

Many thanks

Last edited:
As the original creator of the thread, I will amend the first post to give advice on that.

Shane

EDIT: Make sure you follow the instructions in the first post as given.

Last edited:
Redist version - Recommended for Windows Vista/7 systems and for users that have not yet installed DirectX 9.0C(Also use if you have DirectX 10/11 installed)

This can be downloaded from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...11&clcid=0x409.

====================================================
I am runing windows 7 and downloded the above .
It asked me where do I want the download to go and I replyed / to my desktop ..
I did it twice and it put 49 folders on my desk top.

Being 86 years old I am not to sharo on computers..
If there ia anyone living in the eastcoast of the USA could help ne verbily E mail me or send me a privet message and let meknow ,,

Many thanks

George: It should be directed to Drive C:/Program Files. Then delete the files on your desktop. You should also register your version of Trainz.

tomurban

Actually, that's not strictly correct. the files that the redist version creates should be saved in a single folder (best place is on the desktop) then run the dxsetup.exe file in the newly-created folder.

Shane

Unfortunately, your post is not helping understanding of what the problem is - you may need to edit your post (or possibly send me the link to the forum thread to which you are referring - copy from the address bar into a post.

Shane

Apologies for bumping the thread about this, but it is important for XP users who are or have updated their DirectX using the November 2010 web installer.

Warning for users updating DirectX using the web installer -Potentially problematic optional component set to install by default

It has come to my attention from various posts that users using the November 2010 web installer need to check what they are installing, as the option for the Bing Bar is ticked by default.

If users find that certain keyboard shortcuts are not working properly (Ctrl+M for example) uninstall the Bing Bar.

It's easier to untick the option to install it on the second screen (the one after the license agreement)

The redist version does not have this issue.

Shane

Well i run windows 7/64 and had to reinstall windows due to some sort of file corruption that would not let me run any progtammes.
After the install i ran trainz 2010, which is installed on a seperate hard drive, and although trainz would run Content Manager would not due to a missing direct x file.
Dowloaded and installed direct x 9.0c and that fixed the problem.
Seems that trainz does need direct x 9.

I have win 7 64bit, run admin etc etc ... cant install this dx 9 at all .. "This install failed to start as side by side configuration is not allowed."

any ideas?

Something is not quite right on your system - that's the first time I have seen that error, which may mean that DirectX may already be up to date.

Make sure you are using the Redist version.

Also, which edition of Windows 7 are you using? (Home Premium etc)

Shane

EDIT: According to another thread elsewhere on the internet, it may be an issue with your Windows 7 installation.

Last edited:
I've made several attempts to update using both methods and each time get the message "A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file is valid." On clicking OK I get "installation failed".

This is complete double dutch to me but although my graphics are jerky at times, I think this is more likely down to my machine spec than inadequate DirectX.

Thought I'd try this here for any comment, otherwise will pursue with Microsoft help eventually.

Bob

Make sure you have important Windows updates installed, as every so often a Root Certificates update is released - these need to be installed.

Which operating system are you using, as this will affect the instructions given?

Shane

Thanks for that Shane - I always run updates when notified so as far as I know everything is up to date. Op system is Vista home basic.

Bob

According to something else I read yesterday, that error can be caused by a Windows service not running (Cryptographic Services)

Can you check the status of it using the following process?

1.In the Start menu, enter services.msc, then click it when it appears.
2.Scroll down the list until you find Cryptographic Services , then check the Status and Startup Type columns and post the result here.

Shane

thomasjoe, firstly, I must advise you that advertising on your posts is against forum rules (Code of Conduct)

Secondly, you've lost me there on what you are referring to - as the poster of the post you have quoted has not mentioned any further problems, I am assuming that they have sorted the problem.

Shane

Back