Updating DirectX 9.0c- how to do it

TRS2006 runs in Open GL as well as DirectX (11) on my PC

Why do I need DirectX 9 ?

I think my video card is basicly factory designed for Open GL anyway ... that is why I get the DirectX failure warnings:

My TrainzDiag show DirectX Failure problems:
vertex shaders as a Warning
spherical environmental mapping as a Warning
vertex buffers as a Warning

Last edited:
The components that are appearing may be specific to DirectX 9, and it is also required if you happen to have TS2009 (patching to SP3/4) or TS2010 (any patches)

Shane

Many thanks for the advice and this thread. While I do not have any problems running Trainz (2004/2009/2010) on my Windows 7 64bit based system another member with almost the same set up as mine (graphics cards are different, his is the next nVidia one up), he is having a lot of problems. He can get 2004/2010 to run to the opening menu but trying to go any further and Trainz will crash on him.

I have pointed him to this thread and maybe this is the answer to his problem.

Thanks, your help is much appreciated.

Craig
:):):)

I'm also getting this problem on my desktop pc, I've installed every directX9 link in this thread including the recent update, the DirectX9 warning appears on starting TRS2010 in DirectX mode and when I switch to OpenGL TRS2010 crashes. I have TR2010 installed on a separate laptop and it does run but very poorly.

I remember that thread - apologies if I offend you (djt) , but I still think that DirectX 9 is still required to correctly run later versions of Trainz, and for patching purposes (also, the presence of RenderDirectX9_7c.dll may be forcing it to be DirectX 9 (for maximum compatibility with operating systems from Windows XP onwards (as XP cannot use DirectX 10/11 without issues - it was not designed for it))

I agree regarding the updates though, that it updates DirectX 10 and 11 as well.

Shane

I remember that thread - apologies if I offend you (djt)
No offense taken, it’s just that out of about a dozen forums I frequent I’ve never seen so many misconceptions/problems with DirectX then in this one.

but I still think that DirectX 9 is still required to correctly run later versions of Trainz
Again you’re not installing DirectX 9, you’re updating DirectX 9 files some of which Trainz obviously uses/needs.

Read through this thread -

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1438507

I've just had a read of that thread - very interesting information in it (somewhere in it it actually refers to 'installing' DirectX 9 not 'updating' it on Windows 7.

Just out of interest, do you think my instructions given in the first post are OK?

Shane

Not sure but I suspect that either 2009 changed in it's requirements somewhere along the route as Trainzdiag in Win7 now checks for DX10 or higher, unless it defaults to that for Vista / Win7 and 9c for Xp. I have DX9c on one PC, mainly because some program or other installed it, before I had even heard of Trainz. I don't have it on the other, which is a new build, as it's working fine both 2009SP4 and 2010 without it.

I've just had a read of that thread - very interesting information in it (somewhere in it it actually refers to 'installing' DirectX 9 not 'updating' it on Windows 7.
Shane

Shane,

If you read through that thread (and there’s plenty of other ones out there) you’re not “installing” DirectX 9, you are updating files in the DirectX 9 directory.

Just out of interest, do you think my instructions given in the first post are OK?
Why not, you said “updating” DirectX not “installing” it right?

Correct - the instructions are present for updating DirectX 9 but the redist method can also be used if DirectX 9 is not present on the machine for some reason (which may happen if a user clicks No to the 'Do you want to install DirectX 9' question when installing Trainz if no other games are installed.

Shane

Correct - the instructions are present for updating DirectX 9 but the redist method can also be used if DirectX 9 is not present on the machine for some reason (which may happen if a user clicks No to the 'Do you want to install DirectX 9' question when installing Trainz if no other games are installed.

Shane

The DirectX 9 directory is included along with DirectX 10/11 with Vista and Windows 7 (remember that DirectX is backward compatible) but some of the DirectX 9 files need to be updated to run Trainz and other DirectX 9 games (that’s all the redist does, update files).

Fair enough - at the moment, I am keeping an eye on when DirectX gets updated, so I can post the latest version dates on the first post.

Shane

I am running 2004 and 2009 on a AMD quad with Vista, just update 2009 to service pack 3. I am not sure which version of DirectX I am running, or where to find the version number. Will it hurt anything if I apply the update and already have 9.0c?
I just found the info, and It shows DirectX support 10.0, Shader Model 4.0, and Open GL Support 2.0. Can I assume that 9 is on board too? Should I do the update with 9.0c?

Last edited:
If you use the Redist method, it will update any files that are not the latest ones - simply follow the instructions in the first post - and yes, DirectX 9 is present in Vista, but you will still need to update it if you have not already got the latest version (June 2010)

Shane

EDIT: Normally, the patch will tell you if you are not running at least the August 2009 version.

Last edited:
If you use the Redist method, it will update any files that are not the latest ones - simply follow the instructions in the first post - and yes, DirectX 9 is present in Vista, but you will still need to update it if you have not already got the latest version (June 2010)

Shane

EDIT: Normally, the patch will tell you if you are not running at least the August 2009 version.
Thank you, I have already down loaded the Redist version, and will try it.

Remember to follow the instructions carefully - the redist version has an extra step than the websetup version.

Shane

Well I hope I didn't miss something, because all I did was unzip to a folder, and run the setup file in that folder. I came up with the install wizard, and I just answered the questions. I went to get my tea and when I returned it said it had installed sucessfully, and I clicked the finish button. I ran 04 & 09 and could not see any problems. I am still afaid to install SP 4 though.

Back