Along the towpath

Kree8tiviT

A Lehigh Valley freight at Lucy's Crossing...
lvF7lucy05.jpg

Exiting Lucy's Crossing, westbound towards Bethlehem, along Island Park Road & the Lehigh Canal
lucy_exit.jpg

They encounter the "Josiah White"....a mule-drawn canalboat of the Lehigh Coal & Navigation Co.

josiah01.jpg

josiah02.jpg

The mule team of "Kate" & "Hank"
muleteam01.jpg

muleteam02.jpg

Along the towpath......
towpath01.jpg

towpath02.jpg

and reaching the "Chain Dam", the Lehigh Canal guard lock #8
lock01.jpg

lock02.jpg

I still need to create a Locktender's house to match the prototype one that still stands at this location........but for now, this has to do.

All screnes from my route "Lehigh Valley - Forks of the Delaware"...a continuous work-in-progress.

Regards,
Mark

The Canal period only lasted for @ 15 years and was over around 1815. I find all of the Pennsylvania canal system(s) facinating ! It took upwards of 3 weeks to get from Phila via Reading-Harrisburg-Hollidaysburg-Johnstown-Pittsburgh to St Louis. :eek: Those scenes are quite moving !:cool:(slowly moving)

Last edited:
The Canal period only lasted for @ 15 years and was over around 1815. I find all of the Pennsylvania canal system(s) facinating ! It took upwards of 3 weeks to get from Phila via Reading-Harrisburg-Hollidaysburg-Johnstown-Pittsburgh to St Louis. :eek: Those scenes are quite moving !:cool:(slowly moving)

I thought they ended due to the railroads comming in. Which meant they would have ended much later than 1815.

I thought they ended due to the railroads comming in. Which meant they would have ended much later than 1815.
The canal period started @ 1790 and truely ended in 1815 when the railroads started to cross Pennsylvania...the PRR Horseshoe Curve was opened for service in 1854...the Civil war was not until 1870 or thereabouts (I dunno...i wasn't born in the waybackdays, then).

Last edited:
I don't have references handy, but I don't believe many railroads got started in the US before 1829 or so, and the canals remained in service for many years thereafter, though with declining revenues.

Yea. Thats whats it was. Railroads realy didnt take off till the 1830s, and even then the canals still remained open. Some even into the 1880s!

And the civil war was 1860-1865

When I first saw the title, I wondered if (hoped?) you were talking about the WM beside the C&O canal. But this is looking amazing, and I'd sure run it, too!

Looking great man. I cannot wait for this route. Just wondering, how far are you planning on taking it town wise?

And Cascade, yeah, get your dates right next time. The canals were around in the 1830s when the railroads started to surpass them. Infact, most Pennsylvania railroads, such as the PRR, were started as canal lines in order to compete against the Erie Canal in NY. They lasted until about the Civil War, but most went under before that.

That canal looks EPIC man. I am loving it.

Some really nice shots here - certainly has the atmosphere of a turn of the century US canal.

Incidentally, where did you find the canal boat and the group of mailboxes in the first pic?

Matt

Back