Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland WIP

Awesome work Malc, looking forward to the finished article. (And has persuaded me to take a break from my mega tundra route and tackle another ng project).

The FR is at it again in their attempt to make your model completely out of date...

Aerial141208OptRe.jpg

http://www.festrail.co.uk/content/publish/news/437.shtml

Yes Ed, saw it a couple of days ago, I think in Inside Motion, currently working on the new Harbour Station layout, half done the signal box, no inside yet, probably going to need lod on it, had to do some more bits of Cob as well.

Signalling is going to be horrendous, lack of space is not going to help think I'm going to have to make them in bits positioned to fit on the posts but attached to the right bit of Track, currently got it "working" using invisible signals................

Talking of keeping up to date, progress on Harbour Station remodelling so far. Ignore the temporary signalling and got things like the Beehives and lamps the outdoor enclosed seating area at Spooners to add as well as get a more accurate platform texture.

Edit: flipping TS12 Draw distance has chopped off Moel-y-gest, it is there honest!

Last edited:
Looks amazing, can't wait to see more progress. I'm running the old one that got updated for TS12 right now with the Vale of Ffestiniog down to Porthmadog. Can't wait to get to grips of the route. It's the biggest and best project I have ever seen or witnessed.

Keep it up

Harrryboi

How hard would it be to convert the ffestiniog railway section of the one i already have or your version to a historical version for the locos from the welsh pony pack?.

Thanks in advance
Tom

Most of the stations have changed massively over the years, and there's also the deviation to consider. In addition to that all of the signalling is completely new since the 60s. Therefore a historic version would involve quite a lot of work to complete accurately.

Done properly it would actually need quite a bit of work, Blaenau Ffestiniog completely different layout, Dinas is mostly under a slate heap so that would require a major rework of the DEM, small problem of a large lake that needs removing at Tan y Grisiau and the track completely re-aligning through the Old Moelwyn tunnel, the rest would mainly be deleting trees and modern buildings and probably roads, track adding to slate wharves, exchange sidings at Minffordd adding.
Actually it's something I have been considering after I finish the up to date version, already sourced the original track layouts, there are several depending on the year. The WHR part would be relatively easy to backdate as only a couple of alignments to change and add the Bryngwn Branch and lower part of the Croesor Tramway which is easy as I made sure the DEM covered those bits.

The version on the DLS is somewhat geographically inaccurate, that's why I originally started on this mammoth project.
Current Route progress I'm Still updating stuff to TS12 SP1 / T:ANE standards so I can upload the rest however it is actually working in T:ANE as it is at the moment. Got around 2000 assets already on the DLS only 980 odd to finish updating.................. Then I have to workout how to make the new signals for Harbour station as there is absolutely nothing I can bodge that with.

Better put up some screenshots by way of a progress update - edh6 has been sorting out the semaphores for Harbour Station.

Thanks for all the info, Clam1952, that is a lot of work, your been a busy man.

Keep up the hard work
Tom

Hey, I have an idea for this route. How about using the layer system to model multiple time periods of the route, starting in the 1860s, moving on to the 1880s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and coming in to the finish line at 2015. This way, we can simulate operations across a wide spectrum of time periods without being stuck in the modern day. Because quite frankly, it's really not worth modelling the 1960s if the Cob has been widened.

Thanks for your input on how Malc creates his route I'm sure that he'll do it how he sees fit, rather than listening to an irrelevant observer like yourself. Don't tell route builders what to do and don't try and belittle their work. :n:

I wasn't trying to belittle anyone's work. I was just making a suggestion and providing a tiny bit of constructive criticism.

Absolutely wonderful modelling, giving me serious TLC withdrawal symptoms. One question, is the 5 road track as bumpy in this route as in real life? ;)

Question: How far along is this route coming? Any rough percentage to completion? Because this is the FR/WHR route I have been waiting for.

Back