Locomotive start-shutdown

srude

Howdy, all;

Once upon a time, in an early version of Trainz, I believe, one had the ability to start/shutdown locomotives. Then, for some weird reason, the brains at Trainz decided to remove that ability, even though in the real world, they do shut locomotives, down, for two reasons-storage or maintanance.

It is, to the say the least, really silly to see a bunch of locomotives sitting on a storage siding, all of them, running--that isn't simulation.

So, how can one add the locomotive start/shut-down script, or, is this a deep, dark, corporate secret kept in a basement safe somewhere?

I'll appreciate whatever response is offered

Thanks

srude

Had nothing to do with Auran. Phil C made some locos that you could start and stop, fill with diesel, etc. Some were donated by Phil to Auran for inclusion in 2006. As far as I know they still function properly.

Cheers

AJ

Some other guy wanted to be able to shut down loco's

How can you tell if the locos are running, or not, unless you get right up close and personal, there usually are no plumes of smoke from idling loco's.:hehe: While the PhilC SD70's are a gas to fuel, sand, and start up...if every Trainz loco required this...it would make running Trainz difficult. And if you altered each config file so that the engine was inoperable (shut down) and acted like a traincar, this would make all the same loco's disabled. And writing in a startup/shutdown script would be more than it is worth. Perhaps there is a rule that can be enabled...I dunno. Whether a loco is running or disabled, it still is the same amount of poly's...and Trainz diesel fuel and coal is polution free, and costs nothing.

Cascade

you are missing one thing the SOUND

Only way to it is jackknife someones script into a loco, but its complicated and not easy, but doable.

Cheers

Lots

I have downloaded a driver command that is supposed to do I think what you are asking. I haven't tried it yet as I have juse D/L it. Maybe it will help you...The kuid is listed here below......

Locomotive start or shut down command,<kuid2:86105:60577:1>

I wrote that script and it has no tie-in/no connection/no nada with Phil's startup/shutdown command. My script simply adds fuel consumption to the loco based on installed hp and throttle notch setting.

As Whitepass mentioned Phil's scripts are encripted - meaning nobody can read the scripts and determine how they work. Because of that interfeacing with them or providing substitutes is not possible until the necessary information is made available by the person who wrote them.

Phil's aren't the only locos that have startup and shutdone capability. There are a few Russian diesels that have that capability and use there own custom scripts - not derrived from Phil's afaik. The scripts are also not encripted iirc so you can read the scripts and see how they approached the problem if you want to.

N3V could of course make it a lot easier to program into the scripts and rules if they cared to since there are a couple api functions they could add to help us out - 1st one would be to control the engine sound. But so far they haven't volunteered anything - probably just waiting on an over whelming flood of requests for it. :cool:

Bob Pearson

Ohhhh... so that's why the Built-in SD70s only work when you move the speed dial first. I always thought there was a problem with them. Even under AI... you have to move the speed dial before they will move... so I can't use these locos with AI.

N3V could of course make it a lot easier to program into the scripts and rules if they cared to since there are a couple api functions they could add to help us out - 1st one would be to control the engine sound. But so far they haven't volunteered anything - probably just waiting on an over whelming flood of requests for it. :cool:

Bob Pearson

Auran/N3V are notorious for not wanting to provide a full fledged API. A few years ago a couple of friends in the States, England and me on my lonesome over here approached the CEO with a detailed proposal to help people that wanted to build their own full sized loco cabs at home. This would require an API that would lead to other sub programs being written and develop a mini industry similar to the Flight Simulator community. The response was an overwhelming no! with the suggestion that there is not enough interest to warrant the development time and money for an API.

One of our group recently approached N3V again and was told that if he wished to spend a fair bit of money buying the rights to access the code then he could happily go ahead and develop the API himself. Of course there's not many individuals who have the time, money or knowledge to accomplish this.

I would encourage everybody who needs a proper API to contact N3V and perhaps their attitude would change.

Railwayz

Back