Asset Compatibility Between Trainz Versions

dricketts

Trainz Luvr since 2004
FYI. I've only used and built routes in TRS2004. I haven't even had the chance to nibble at any of the other versions.

Will old content always work in a newer version of Trainz while new content will not work in an older version of Trainz?

Simple answer is NO.
There's a lot of TRS2004/6 stuff that doesn't work in TS2010 & a lot of
creators are not updating their stuff.

Sounds like a mess.

Can I use a route I've built with TRS2004 in say 2009 with compatibility mode? Then add 2009 assests to that same route?

What are the negatives of running a route in compatibility mode?

Sounds like a mess.

Can I use a route I've built with TRS2004 in say 2009 with compatibility mode? Then add 2009 assests to that same route?

What are the negatives of running a route in compatibility mode?

Speed. Compatibility mode is considerably slower - which means you're essentially limited to everything using the older guidelines for polygon count, etc.

FYI. I've only used and built routes in TRS2004. I haven't even had the chance to nibble at any of the other versions.

Will old content always work in a newer version of Trainz while new content will not work in an older version of Trainz?

Most simple objects such as scenery objects will work in later versions including TS2010 native mode. It's the more complex rolling stock and locomotives that are more of the problem.

Basically the more complicated the assets the more possibilities for the content creator to get something wrong. TS2010 basically does more error checking.

I create TRS2004 level content in TS2010. Does that answer one question?

Cheerio John

Always is a big word. Many assets, especially the simpler ones will work without any major problems in TS2010. You will sometimes get warnings that a quick pass through CCP can correct.

Some content, especially if it uses scripts or non-standard configuration will cause various levels of problems. How easy they are to fix depends on the problem.

Other assets will not work without a major overhaul but that is to be expected., especially when you consider the age of some of them. Objects build more than six years ago when the state of the art was much simpler and creators, yours truly included, were sometimes quite creative when it came to getting something to work in Trainz. It may have gotten in but at what cost? For better or worse, Trainz would often let things in that caused stuttering, slowdowns and even crashes all in the name of getting more assets. Bad habits were formed that are hard to break. The hardware has also changed tremendously over the years so that shortcuts or kludges that needed to be used are now not needed. These will now flagged as errors. Some might question that call but the game has changed.

Updating the assets in an old route should not be a problem, time consuming perhaps if done manually although there is a search and replace function that makes it relatively easy to do.

Compatibility mode should only be seen and used as a stopgap measure until you've upgraded all the assets you want to use. For the best performance, I only use native mode and it shows. Any asset that doesn't work gets updated or replaced.

Backward computability is nice in theory but rather lame in practice.

Good info.

I've spent the last year and a half working on my Kansas City route. There's been a lot of blood sweat and tears going into this route. Any route builder can relate to that and I would like to see it enjoyed by the Trainz community in the future.

So here lies the dilemma. Should I bite the bullet, move my route to 2009 or 2010 and use the search and replace feature? There's a lot of quality 2006 content that comes to mind that I currently can't use in 2004. Like bnsf50's crossings signals.

Should I move my 2004 route to 2010 while it's still a work in progress? Maybe this will prevent even more search and replace in the future while giving my route access to more content overall?

Good info.

I've spent the last year and a half working on my Kansas City route. There's been a lot of blood sweat and tears going into this route. Any route builder can relate to that and I would like to see it enjoyed by the Trainz community in the future.

So here lies the dilemma. Should I bite the bullet, move my route to 2009 or 2010 and use the search and replace feature? There's a lot of quality 2006 content that comes to mind that I currently can't use in 2004. Like bnsf50's crossings signals.

Should I move my 2004 route to 2010 while it's still a work in progress? Maybe this will prevent even more search and replace in the future while giving my route access to more content overall?

I'd go TS2010. It isn't bad but back up your layout from time to time.

Cheerio John

I agree with John, TS2010 is the way to go. Steer clear of TS2009, I think it is a blind alley and future development will be in TS2010.

Peter

Hi,

I transferred my route from 2006 to 2010 and found that of the 1400+ items I used only 20 showed up as faulty in 2010. It took no time at all to find replacements for those faulty assets - after all there are in excess 140,000 assets on the DLS.

Surely with such a choice it is always possible to create a route of your choice!

Cheers, John

History

...Steer clear of TS2009, I think it is a blind alley and future development will be in TS2010.
Peter
Funny isn't it! Remember this?
"The Trainz team have been busy making sure the next major release of Trainz will be the best ever. Trainz Simulator 2009 is the culmination of 8 years of ongoing development and brings together a unified set of content and features that will provide a single stable platform that can be built upon for many more years to come."
So what to believe?

Larry the Cable Guy & Jeff Foxworthy

Funny isn't it! Remember this?
"The Trainz team have been busy making sure the next major release of Trainz will be the best ever. Trainz Simulator 2009 is the culmination of 8 years of ongoing development and brings together a unified set of content and features that will provide a single stable platform that can be built upon for many more years to come."
So what to believe?
I believe...that if your working TV, sits on top of your non-working TV...You just might be a readneck.

I believe...that the handicap stool, is the Caddilac of all stools.

I believed...that MSTS2 was going to be released in 2009... instead the MSTS2 ACES video developement employees were released to the unemployment line.

I believed...that "Vista" was the ultimate OS.

I believe...that an entirely new revamped TS2011 or TS2012 updated version, will make TS2010 obsolete.

I believe...that we should celibrate the Holidays well before December 16th 2012, as the Myan calander predicts the end of the world on Dec 17th 2012.

Last edited:
dont know if this is off topic but is hard to get all of franks, SPORBUST's, locomotives to work error free in ts09/10?
-Joe

I raised the question of version compatability way back when TS2009/10 was being developed, in the Trainzdev forum, hence I belive the Compatibility mode was introduced.

This is only a stopgap measure until all us creators move on to the newer versions and their higher standards.

All of Paulz Trainz products are now upgraded to TS2010 standards, but will also run fine in TRS2004 TRS2006 & TC versions, they have different e-specs and sounds, that includes coaches and wagons, as Trainz has finally got some accuracy into the physics as well as good (if not great) graphics capabilities)

Go for TS2010, as that is the way forward from now on.

Cascaderailroad has the right idea..

:cool: As for Franks locomotives, the missing textures for specgrey are driving me crazy!

But as time goes by, other content creators will replace this, with much improvements!

American_Connections

So what to believe?

In your haste to bag Auran wherever you can, you forget that the second half of TS2009 WBE was to be TS2009 EE. This turned out to be TS2010, with new features and updated code, and to take advantage of these new features, they included Surveyor. To my mind they are doing what they promised.

They have built on TS2009 to make TS2010 and hopefully will continue to do what they promise and build new versions based on TS2009.

Peter

Specgrey (which is a typo, should be specgray) is usually applied to a mesh as TEX_SPECULAR which is not allowed in TS2009 or 2010. Fortunately, PEV's PM2IM corrects it.

Bob

Specgrey (which is a typo, should be specgray) is usually applied to a mesh as TEX_SPECULAR which is not allowed in TS2009 or 2010. Fortunately, PEV's PM2IM corrects it.

Bob
-well i'm still not sure what you are talking about but if i can find out how to have sporbust's locos run in 09/10 error free, if you dont mind sharing details on how to, PM me please!
-Joe

Back