Jerky movement Trainz 2009

A couple of things I have noticed about TS2010.
It doesn't always work to keep the draw distance slider full left. Sometimes moving the slider to the right actually improves smoothness.

Remove your name and password from the options, for some reason, an internet connection auses lags and pauses.
Geoff

Wow. I thought 23 fps / 30 fps - what the heck, try anything. -framerates=23 fixed it! I think I can spot the difference between 30 and 23, but not by much and I am willing to admit that the 'difference' might be imagination. Whatever - smooth 23fps is better than stuttery 30fps. Thanks Phil!

Andy ;)

Edit - also swapped back and forth between DX and GL. DX is definitely better, not by a lot, but better is better...

:D

Phil

So here is a summary of the various things people have reported as helping with the jerkiness/lag issue in 2009/2010....

1. Get the latest video drivers

2. Swap from OpenGl to DirectX (or visa versa in a couple of cases !)

3. Remove UserName/Password from the options. Or as an alternative, deselect 'TS2009 iTrainz Chat Interface' in the Main Menu/Options/Global Interface Addons dialogue.

4. Add -framerate=23 to TrainzOptions.txt (which you will find in your C:\Program Files\Auran\TS2009 folder - use Notepad to edit). Experiment a little with the actual rate if you like.

Different things work for different people. Any others ?

Phil

Edit, as a BTW: My theory as to why 23fps works for me... I have a 75Hz refresh rate on my monitor. FRAPS shows that specifying -framerate=23 actually results in a framerate of 25 fps. I wonder if I was seeing a synchronisation problem. To check I tried setting -vsynch=1, but that no longer seems to work in 2009/2010 (FRAPS reported frame rates with -vsynch=1 were all over the place, and not factors of 75).

Last edited:
Edit, as a BTW: My theory as to why 23fps works for me... I have a 75Hz refresh rate on my monitor. FRAPS shows that specifying -framerate=23 actually results in a framerate of 25 fps. I wonder if I was seeing a synchronisation problem.

Don't think so! I use framerate=30 because I have a 60Hz monitor and thought 60/30=2, new frame every two cycles, gotta be good. But 23 still works better, although I haven't run FRAPS to see what I am actually getting. Of course the true fps without FRAPS running is probably higher than the reported framerate with FRAPS running....

Whatever - 23 works!

Andy :)

Don't think so! I use framerate=30 because I have a 60Hz monitor and thought 60/30=2, new frame every two cycles, gotta be good. But 23 still works better, although I haven't run FRAPS to see what I am actually getting. Of course the true fps without FRAPS running is probably higher than the reported framerate with FRAPS running....

Whatever - 23 works!

Andy :)

Oh well, it was a nice theory :hehe:

-framerate=23 fps may have another positive side affect - your video card will probably run cooler (mine does). That can't hurt !

Phil

I checked that one too - the whole box is cooler :)

Fraps reports a range between 20 - 25 ish, but 23 would be a fair average....

Back