*** Stutter every second, precisely? ***

....Then came 1920 x 1080 and all is reversed. TC3 is now the King of the Walk strutting it's stuff like it just got a good dose of something good, it really is a pleasure to watch trains glide through the largest stations with no hesitation what so ever.

But not so with 09 and 10, they stutter and stammer there way along......

Similar situation here with an ATI 4650 (roughly same performance as your card). I have come to the conclusion that the card is just not "man enough" to drive the 24 inch monitor at native resolution and Trainz as well.

I suspect that the "reversal" in performance is due to the fact that TS2009/10 offload more work onto the graphics card, which just can't cope.

Any suggestions welcome.......

Yes, I appreciate this, and don't use FRAPS except for trying to sort performance issues. But this tweak works well for me, with or without FRAPS.
Geoff

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

It turned out that it was indeed the latest Nvidia drivers that caused the problem.
How many times over the years have Nvidia done this.
I had to go back several drivers a couple of years ago to get the Sims 2 working correctly, but that caused problems with something else, and a few times new drivers caused the TV-Out to stop working correctly, and had to roll back to a driver that worked.

I don't know how they get away with it.

Anyway, I've taken your suggestions here and used them to make sure I get the best performance out of TS2010, and I have to admit that as long as I ignore the ridiculous looking SpeedTrees, I think this is definitely the best version of Trainz since TRS2004 (and I don't say that lightly about my beloved TRS2004).

Now, as long as CMP behaves itself, I'll be happy. :)

Thanks again guys,

Smiley.
Hi Smiley,
It’s great to see your back with us by the way; I hate to see good Trainzers leave,
Speed trees look terrible in there winter coat, that’s why I always change my routes to summer, in Environment.
The most important thing is getting the speed, at which they bend right,
Some though are just down right ugly, and should be changed for something better, if they do release more speed trees, I do hope there better than some of these, and with bark to match the right scale.

One of the things I discovered with TS2009 and TS2010 is the size of the -ResourceMemory= line in TrainzOptions.txt file has to be a lot smaller than for previous versions of Trainz.

When I installed TS2009, I automatically set my ResourceMemory= to 1536, which was optimal for TRS2004 and TRS2006. When I did the same for TS2009, the program stuttered and paused as though it couldn't get out of its own way. I then reduced the value, after trying a host of other things, which I can't even remember now, and this worked.

The same thing happened when I installed TS2010. I tried my initial value of 1536, but brought it back to 512.

My system spec, in case anyone is wondering:

CPU: QuadCore I Duo2 2.66 GHZ
Memory: 4 Gigbytes of RAM
Drives: 2x 1-TB Seagate HD.
Video: 8800GTS 640 (older I know).
Network: Dual port bridged 100/1000.

Hard drives are always defragged, and all drivers are up-to-date.

John

Similar situation here with an ATI 4650 (roughly same performance as your card). I have come to the conclusion that the card is just not "man enough" to drive the 24 inch monitor at native resolution and Trainz as well.

I suspect that the "reversal" in performance is due to the fact that TS2009/10 offload more work onto the graphics card, which just can't cope.

Any suggestions welcome.......

Are you saying that -framerate=23 is not effective for you? A laptop configured with ATI mobility 4650 is one of the configs have have tweaked successfulyy using this option, although screen size/res was lower than yours.

Phil

Edit: On the ResourceMemory observation - I noticed it has dissappeared as an option from the TS2010 loader's Options dialogues. However tweaking this option in trainzoptions.txt did not seem to help improve the stutters for me.

Last edited:
Are you saying that -framerate=23 is not effective for you? A laptop configured with ATI mobility 4650 is one of the configs have have tweaked successfulyy using this option, although screen size/res was lower than yours.

Phil

Edit: On the ResourceMemory observation - I noticed it has dissappeared as an option from the TS2010 loader's Options dialogues. However tweaking this option in trainzoptions.txt did not seem to help improve the stutters for me.

Not for me with the 8400GS, nor the ResourceMemory suggestion.

I have a 9800 in the box, still working out how to get it and the comp to work together in the hope that things will improve.

When checking nVidia for the driver update it gave the same driver for both the 8600 and the 9800. 195.62_desktop_winxp_32bit_english_whql...

......Are you saying that -framerate=23 is not effective for you? A laptop configured with ATI mobility 4650 is one of the configs have have tweaked successfulyy using this option, although screen size/res was lower than yours............

Trying to run TS2010 at full screen (1920 x 1080) in DirectX it will not load. In OpenGL I get about 10-12 FPS and then random crashes with an "Atikmdag stopped responding" error. This is using built in routes. I have not tried the -framerate=XX tweak as I can not see how this will help. TS2010 will run Windowed at lower resolution in DirectX with good framerates.

I have been running TS2009 full screen (1920 x 1080) for a month now without any problems except poor framerates (12-15 FPS) but this is with a small (3 board) route. No -framerate=xx setting.

I am still experimenting........

Trying to run TS2010 at full screen (1920 x 1080) in DirectX it will not load. In OpenGL I get about 10-12 FPS and then random crashes with an "Atikmdag stopped responding" error. This is using built in routes. I have not tried the -framerate=XX tweak as I can not see how this will help. TS2010 will run Windowed at lower resolution in DirectX with good framerates.

I have been running TS2009 full screen (1920 x 1080) for a month now without any problems except poor framerates (12-15 FPS) but this is with a small (3 board) route. No -framerate=xx setting.

I am still experimenting........

If your not currently getting frame rates consistently above 23 fps then I agree, the -framerate=23 suggestion is unlikley to do much. I will be getting a 1920x1080 screen for my upcoming birthday. After your comments I'm now a bit apprehensive about how that will work with my ATI 4670.

Phil

I can hook up my laptop to my 40" 1080p screen in my bedroom and run Trainz 2006 fairly well at 1920 x 1080, despite it being a laptop. Of course I can't run routes with a lot of content without looking like a slideshow, but most routes have few problems. I also have the in-Trainz vertical sync set to full rate and 60 to eliminate image tearing. I don't use the framerate=23 line in the trainzoptions, but I do have the ResourceMemory=2048 line in it. But most of the time I stick with the laptop's 1366 x 768 screen resolution, and it runs very nicely on it.

My laptop specs:

HP dv6-1260se
AMD Turion 64 X2 Ultra ZM-85 @ 2.3 GHz (Rated 5.1 on Windows Experience Index)
4 GB DDR2 800 (rated 6.1)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, 1 GB GDDR3 (Rated 6.6 both graphics scores)
500 GB 5400 RPM hard drive (rated 5.5)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, was Vista, but free upgrade

..... A laptop configured with ATI mobility 4650 is one of the configs have have tweaked successfulyy using this option.....

I'd be interested to know what the Windows Vista "performance ratings" were showing for your 4650. (I can't remember exactly what "performance rating" is called - something like Experience index? - I'm on an XP machine at the moment).

The reason I'm asking is that when I upgraded from a 3450 the "games score" increased (4.0 to 4.5) but the "Aero" score went down (4.0 to 3.7) IIRC ..........

My 4650 is only 512 DDR2 (could not get a DDR3 at a sensible price) and I'm limited by the PSU on my current PC, did not want to mess with this as I'm looking to upgrade soonish.

Cheers

woa , topic gone back to stone age but :D
i was expreriencing stutter problems for a while but all stutters are now gone with setting the target framerate option in trainzoptions.txt.. that really works for my ati radeon x1400 old graphic card.. i found it best to set to 23. it will of course vary with different specs. what i did in addition is to turn off shadows and set scenery quality to low from video options.(dunno if these also worked) i wrote all these, so someone who is ecperiencing stutters caused by expecially video card heating(that was my problem-now after all these it stays about 35-42 degrees which are much cooler) can find a reasonably good solution and also thanks to FootplatePhil.

For those of you following this thread who do not like Auran's Speed Trees check out the Freeware Announcements, third page, Speed Trees by Pofig. They're free and very well done , look realistic, don't jitter bug, and from what I see don't hurt frame rates. I've deleted all of Auran's trees.

I have been using Nvidia 266.66 which is the latest since i got the card (almost a month) and I had chocked the slight bump up to my high blood pressure:hehe: it seemed to follow my pulse...

I also have always run at 1920x1080 for over 2 years (TC3,09 and 10) and while performance varied it was never unbearable but the stutter would be annoying using a static camera and watching the cars go by...

I tried the framerate in the options and turned off ichat and it is much better. Now I didn't go down to 24 frames I tried that and it seemed a little draggy so I bumped it to 44 and it is slick and the card does not work over 50%

Now prior I was getting anywhere between 80 and 200+ fps depending on scenery in view. Throttling it seems to make it smoother...

If you disconnect the eithernet or wireless router, and turn off your Antivirus (temporarily), and anything else running, your framerate will increase 100%

If you disconnect the eithernet or wireless router, and turn off your Antivirus (temporarily), and anything else running, your framerate will increase 100%

Uh-huh, turn off everything, including Operating System. Framerate of Real World is so much smoother :)

I do not need even higher framerates. The stutter is there if you turn down graphical settings into dust. The stutter is there even if I manage to get 80+ FPS. Wouldn't you expect Auran to record the promotional TS12 video on a reference system? I can see the stuttering movements in the clip... can you?

If you do not use it, you can also turn off the Chat. It is set to always be on but turning it off makes FPS and loading better.

Back