Routes with all built-in content, no DLS or other stuff

still interested?

Not many routes listed in this thread. There is a lot of potential for built-in only content routes for 2006 and beyond. If you know of any keep listing them here, thanks.

Niles Hinton and Winchester 06

Niles & Hinton RR

Gorre & Daphetid Line

Mangonia RR ver 1-1

Elko and Lincoln TRS

Try these, on the DLS, by me. I intended them to use only built in stuff but I slipped up a little. Ignore the missing content notices. You won't notice anything missing. Most of it is rolling stock. All work well in TS2009.

slugsmasher, the most routes I know of using Builtin content, you have to go way back on DLS to find. Usually the routes from early 2004 and older. Some of these have to be installed in TRS2004 and resaved for the files to be done properly. Not sure if TRS2006 or Classics can read the older format.
Of course you may need to change the content since TRS2006 and later have additional Builtins.
A few here too: http://www.outlimz.com/trainz.html

I'am reuctant to "Blow my own trumpet", but I will regardless.

A few of my routes use only built-in content. No downloading required, (apart from the routes themselves)

Having said that, I now believe that the quality of my earlier routes aren't up to the same standard that the routes are that I build today.

If you haven't checked it out yet. Download
Liverpool2003AMRA - (Kuid [FONT=Verdana, Arial]KUID2:[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial]1970:3510004:2) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]USA themed[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]

[/FONT]
Sandy River to Bongo Creek 2007RBC - ([FONT=Verdana, Arial]KUID:[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial]1970:1015) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]Aussie Themed
Does require a few downloaded items, but the items are pretty standard.
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]My other routes are built for trainz versions prior to TRS2004, but they all use only built in content.

Regards

[/FONT]

I tried "Canyon City" from http://www.outlimz.com/trainz.html .
Of coarse it worked OK in TRS2004. Also worked OK in TRS2006. In TS2009 however much was missing. Very strange!
My TRS2004 and 06 instalations are built in stuff only. So is my TS2009 instalation. TS2009 probably has all the built in stuff from TRS2006 so why is so much missing?? Basic things like the standard switch levers. There was no signaling or trees. Very few buildings. All textures, track, bridges and roads were OK.
The two built in turntable/ round houses only had the track.
My TRS2004 and TRS2006 built in stuff only layouts worked fine in my TS2009.

Folks, I know talk is cheap, but once again I must tell you that of the 1,000 plus listings on the Trainz Resources Directory, the Routes category with a mere 3 routes listed, is the most viewed section of the entire site. The web sites for the routes that are listed also receive more hits that all the other listings combined. So what does that tell you? Well it tells me that people are desperate for new routes, whether they contain stock assets (preferred) or not.

if you've created a route, please PM me and share it with thousands of other Trainzers. Please, please forget these forums. Within two months most threads are lost, and after a year they're lost forever. Please promote your route and promote yourself. I can't do any more than I'm already doing, but I just can't understand why you're all prepared to duscusss, but not so prepared to share.

All three routes are are in the most viewed pages on the TRD consistently.

it's a wonderful resource, but it's totally wasted without your support.

SuperFudd,
There was a topic about that but I cannot find it now. Basically, any route where the files use UTC or older format has problems in TS2009 and later, something to do with the file formats, apprently these changed with TRS2004. If you take the route in TRS2004, TRS2006 or Classics and save it again, it will save with your KUID then bring that into TS2009 and all missing items show up.
Lots of older routes get this in TS2009, clearly it and I figure TS2010 don't like the older route files.

I am in the process of building a built-in only for 2010....I am a stickler for details, so at this time I don't know how it is going to work re: using resources...have only been working on it for a couple weeks, and it is no where near done by my standards...it will probably be around 20 boards, it is at 16 now....strictly a fictional railroad....with industries, etc....I bought 2010 and have not downloaded anything to it, so it really is 'virgin'.....I will keep you advised as to progress....

John

Still need more "ABI" routes

Bringing this thread back up. I am interested, as I am sure many others are in routes that feature ALL BUILT IN (ABI) content. I don't want to waste a lot of time finding assets or using the DLS. I think the TRS2006 on up DVDs have great content on them that can make several great routes and sessions. I am surprised that there are not more "ABI" routes. With the release of TRS2010, there really is no excuse not to make "ABI" routes, there is a lot of excellent content included.

It seems many people on these forums are only interested in the latest downloadable tree frog or polish wheel bearing from some 3rd party site. That's great if you are into that but you would also have to agree that much of the time that could be spent playing Trainz is used up setting things up and downloading. Enter TRS2010 and you probably spend an additional amount of time fixing assets before using them. Many routes that look great on the screenshots forum are certainly desirable but then when I see all the 3rd party and DLS required assets, I usually opt out of trying to get it. Just not worth the time and effort.

I recently released a couple switching layouts that use ABI 2010 assets. They were both easy to make, took little time to package up and provide hours of enjoyment. Anyone who tries them out only spends a matter of seconds getting them going. How easy is that.

So - my call for more ABI routes and sessions. The tools are there, let's use them.

Bringing this thread back up. I am interested, as I am sure many others are in routes that feature ALL BUILT IN (ABI) content. I don't want to waste a lot of time finding assets or using the DLS. I think the TRS2006 on up DVDs have great content on them that can make several great routes and sessions. I am surprised that there are not more "ABI" routes. With the release of TRS2010, there really is no excuse not to make "ABI" routes, there is a lot of excellent content included.

It seems many people on these forums are only interested in the latest downloadable tree frog or polish wheel bearing from some 3rd party site. That's great if you are into that but you would also have to agree that much of the time that could be spent playing Trainz is used up setting things up and downloading. Enter TRS2010 and you probably spend an additional amount of time fixing assets before using them. Many routes that look great on the screenshots forum are certainly desirable but then when I see all the 3rd party and DLS required assets, I usually opt out of trying to get it. Just not worth the time and effort.

I recently released a couple switching layouts that use ABI 2010 assets. They were both easy to make, took little time to package up and provide hours of enjoyment. Anyone who tries them out only spends a matter of seconds getting them going. How easy is that.

So - my call for more ABI routes and sessions. The tools are there, let's use them.

Hi Rich,

There were a few to several pre-SP3 layouts that used built-in content. One example is the layout Axe's Alpline Town by axe1970 (the pre-SP3 version is/was on the DLS. He did upload a SP3 version, however). All built-in content except for a road tunnel (which I think I found at Trainz Luvr--anyway, it does not work in TRS2004 and later). Other layouts from that time included the custom content in the layout package (such as "Serendipity"), which was one feature of the Custom Dispatcher self-extracting EXE installers at the time, in that multiple assets in a set could be packaged into one EXE installer. I think there was also a British yard layout by PikkaBird that included all built-in content (from what I remember). I do not really know of much of any others, as those few are pretty much all of the pre-SP3 layouts that I actually truely remember having in UTC (I may be missing one or two, but I somewhat doubt it ;) :hehe:).

Regards.

I am currently working on a TS2009 all "ABI" route of the SP and WP Stockton California to Milpitas circa 1962.

Last edited:
. . . So - my call for more ABI routes and sessions. The tools are there, let's use them.

The problem with making good sessions is the lack of sufficient numbers of ABI freight cars for a US route. I refuse to make up 50 car freight trains using the same cars train after train. There is also the lack of ABI rules that are needed for a first class op session. That is why in the Big Session Making Contest, they allow using assets that are on the DLS, but not built-in.

I see no wisdom in asking our creative route and session makers to limit themselves to ABI content.

David

The problem with making good sessions is the lack of sufficient numbers of ABI freight cars for a US route. I refuse to make up 50 car freight trains using the same cars train after train. There is also the lack of ABI rules that are needed for a first class op session. That is why in the Big Session Making Contest, they allow using assets that are on the DLS, but not built-in.

I see no wisdom in asking our creative route and session makers to limit themselves to ABI content.

David

Yeah, because the Auran built-in content is often cheap (low-poly and with low-resolution textures) and some of it can be far from prototypical. :( ;)

Regards.

Last edited:
And much of it does not conform to the standards needed to pass muster if they were to be uploaded to the DLS today.

Yeah, because the Auran built-in content is often cheap (low-poly and with low-resolution textures) and some of it can be far from prototypical. :( ;)

Regards.

I agree, there needs to be more truely ABI or non-DLS prototypical content. ABI US Rolling stock is not up to even NMRA standards, much less prototypical. I'm still hunting for good logging cars and decent Grain Hoppers that are typical of those that appear on UP routes in a wide variety of car numbers/roads. Even if I will be running them on the WM B&O Mega route until I get a decent working yard done. (prototypical switches with animated points and guard rails) And a hump yard that actually has the hump higher than the sorting trackwork. The only track that comes close is not updated to work with TS2010, and has DLS content to boot. Something that looks like Shinohara or Atlas Customline would work also, sans the exposed switch machine.

Two things in favor of ABI Routes.

1 - We now have the Replace Asset tool that was not in previous Trainz.
Don't like something, replace it easy maybe with a little tweak.
Previously this was more complicated.
So if you download a route with Builtin content you do not like, just swap it.

2 - The advantage to ABI content is it will never become vaporware.
Thus no asset hunting or living without.

What I would like to see is Routes with al the Content included with the download, example, when I go to slugsmasher's site to download his Clear Lake Route I would like to have all the Content included with the download of the Route, this would make my Trainz experience so much more enjoyable, instead of spending many hours hunting down missing content. (Fortunately Clear Lake is a easy Route as far as Content is concerned, thanx for that.)

Back