Buried steam locomotive

Notch One?
More like notch 3 give and release 15 pounds then crank her up to 5 and 6 put in another 35 pounds, crank her down to notch 2, release brakes tug at a good and very quick 8 throttle down and put more pressure.
Sort of a tug, stop, tug effect.

Still wouldn't work though.
Highly illogical.

Cheers,
Woody

So it is impossible to yank a steam engine and ten flat cars out, this is a sad situation to be in, I wonder if that tunnel was inspected to be on the safe side but I highly doubt it!:eek:

We can wonder as much as we like, but this did happen over 80 years ago when things were completely different. The whole thing is obviously being treated as a "non event" by all concerned (except a few Trainz users) because some things are just not worth the effort doing, or even thinking about. In all seriousness, what would the removal a rusty old steam locomotive and ten junked flat cars do to improve anyone's life? Absolutely nothing!

Maybe they should get some excavators and unearth the engine from on top of the tunnel?:eek:

The people living above wouldn't like that.

I find this kind of thing very interesting, but ultimately as nice as it would be to "rescue" this loco, there probably isn't much left to rescue. If the roof fell in then the loco was probably very badly damaged. Add to that the fact that the tunnel is now full of water, and may have been since it was blocked; I doubt there's much left.

Maybe they should get some excavators and unearth the engine from on top of the tunnel?:eek:

I don't know if that is such a good idea,again as Knight42 pointed out,the people living above there would not like that especially the noise level the equipment makes and to tell all of you the truth, I don't know if we will get another chance to see that train again!:eek:

..if the tunnel collapsed, then the tunnel collapsed. It's behind several thousand tons of unstable rocks.

Any method to get it out would be either unreasonably expensive or put many lives in danger. Most likely both.

I'm not seeing a recovery happening.

Your right!:cool:

That would have been a work train with old MoW flats made of wood, only the bogeys would be left and the cost would be more than building a new loco.

So it is impossible to yank a steam engine and ten flat cars out, this is a sad situation to be in, I wonder if that tunnel was inspected to be on the safe side but I highly doubt it!:eek:

I think it was a secondary line, and the tunnel, like what was done by the Union and Central Pacific with their bridges, was built quickly and was intended for temporary use until their main tunnel was done. So they probably didn't bother to maintain it.

Could they maybe get some excavators and make a large archeological dig to unearth the engine, like they do for fossils?

Well, if not, I suppose the efforts are best focused on retrieving sunken locomotives!:eek:

there was something else

and CSX owns that tunnel that contains the steam engine and the ten flat cars and it is filled up with water and tunnel debris and if you look at the pictures,you can see the dips on top of the tunnel as a result of the cave-in!:eek:

I believe there is a 4-4-0 that sunk into a river in Oklahoma. I assume that one would probably be more worthwhile trying to recover...:eek:

Some things must die in the world. Legends are born that way.

Cheers,
Joshua
Wow, that's the best quote I've read in awhile...
I have to agree with Johnk on this one, who in the world could give a turkey about a steam engine buried underneath hundreds of tons of rocks?
Honestly, the whole idea is absurd.
If one was to yank it out from rail connection, you would tear the rsuty thing apart in the process, worse yet, it could also make the ground above very unstable.
We see the world as a very solid, stable object, however I beg the differ.
Yanking something that now makes up the structure of a hill is like playing Jenga!
Maybe it will stay stable or perhaps the whole hill could cave in, it is purely a gamble, none the less.
We all love steam preservation, however it is absurd to want to save each and every engine out there, a six year old's idea.
There is already a 4-4-0 preserved, thus, the very least is done why break an arm and a leg for another?

Cheers,
Woody:wave:

I believe there is a 4-4-0 that sunk into a river in Oklahoma. I assume that one would probably be more worthwhile trying to recover...:eek:

That might sound easy but, who knows how high the water is and how much it will cost to extract it,I'm not saying that it can or cannot be done but I am still worried for the safety of the workers!:eek:

There are a pair of Heavy duty 2-2-2's sunk off the East Coast. They, as opposed to this crazy idea of digging up an old 4-4-0, would be worth bringing back. Only one 2-2-2 exists today, and its tiny compared to the ones that sunk off the ocean. They were not even known to exist until about 10 or 15 years ago, until then, everyone had figured the 2-2-2's never got very big.

The discovery of the two on the ocean floor changed that. That makes them a real piece of history. I believe about 6 or more were ordered, but only the two were ever built. Either way, none of the class were saved (except the two on the ocean floor) and only one 2-2-2 ever survived into preservation

Those are the things you look for in preservation. One of the reasons the SS United States should be preserved, one of a kind!

There are a pair of Heavy duty 2-2-2's sunk off the East Coast. They, as opposed to this crazy idea of digging up an old 4-4-0, would be worth bringing back. Only one 2-2-2 exists today, and its tiny compared to the ones that sunk off the ocean. They were not even known to exist until about 10 or 15 years ago, until then, everyone had figured the 2-2-2's never got very big.

The discovery of the two on the ocean floor changed that. That makes them a real piece of history. I believe about 6 or more were ordered, but only the two were ever built. Either way, none of the class were saved (except the two on the ocean floor) and only one 2-2-2 ever survived into preservation

Those are the things you look for in preservation. One of the reasons the SS United States should be preserved, one of a kind!

In the middle 1950's, a flood on the kansas river threatened the AT&SF bridge over the river in Topeka. To try to stabilize it, the Santa Fe pulled five dead steam engines (it may have been more than that) out onto the bridge. within hours, one of the spans collapsed, and two 2-6-2s and a 2-8-2 fell to the bottom. there's dozens of 2-6-2s from the AT&SF left, but not a single 2-8-2. reportedly, the engines are directly under the bridge, if not a few dozen yards downstream. it *should* be a simple task to get a crane barge up to them and lift the 2-8-2 and its tender out of the muck. I don't think they dredge the Kaw (the average depth is only like 4 feet) so they should all be intact.

As nice as it would be to save these sunken engines, especially the 2-2-2s, water and steel/iron react with each other well to create rust. The 2-2-2s are probally pure rust, salt water is very corrosive to steel and cast iron, and covered with layers of algae and other crap from the sea. Today's undersea recovery techniques would probally cause the 150 year old rusty iron to crumble. Rescuing the ATSF 2-8-2 probably wouldn't be too hard, assuming you could find the locomotive and the water was deep enough for a barge crane.

Back