Trainz: A New Era Pre-Orders Have Now Arrived! - Visit our Information Page to find out more.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buried steam locomotive

Default Buried steam locomotive

Believe it or not there is a steam locomotive and some flat cars buried in a abandoned railroad tunnel that has been there since I think 1925 and the locomotive concerned is a C&O 4-4-0 american that was hauling a work train that fateful day and they tried to extract the train out but the ground was very unstable and to this day the train is still there and the location is at church hill in Richmond Va the engine #is 231!
    Last edited by UP5521; November 20th, 2009 at 06:32 AM.

I assume it still contains the bodies of the driver and fireman, so it will probably stay there as an official grave.

Blog Entries

If it is the one that I am thinking of, they dug out the locomotive to get the bodies for a proper burial. This was, of course, decades after the tunnel collapse. Anyway, they had to cut up the cab of the locomotive to get the engineer out, as he was still holding the trottle.

Wow. That is um, weird...

They tried it again a few years back but again the earth inside was unstable and so they left it alone!

It may be weird but I am still amazed that for a steam locomotive with ten flat cars to survive this long while trapped in a abandoned railroad tunnel is unbelievable!

Quote Originally Posted by jadebullet View Post
    If it is the one that I am thinking of, they dug out the locomotive to get the bodies for a proper burial. This was, of course, decades after the tunnel collapse. Anyway, they had to cut up the cab of the locomotive to get the engineer out, as he was still holding the trottle.
    Yes you are exactly right he did have his hand on the throttle,but the railroad workers involved are African Americans who was on that train the year the accident occured!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnk View Post
    I assume it still contains the bodies of the driver and fireman, so it will probably stay there as an official grave.
    yes,it could but,I am not too sure though!

Default An idea to recover it.

If it is still under I say get a CSX diesel and a winch. Put the main winch on the knuckle coupler of the CSX diesel, preferably an EMD GP38-2 and have the other on the flat car's end and carefully with the diesel slowly pull it out. Don't take the throttle past notch 1 in reverse.
    NO MORE SIGNATURES FROM ME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex99al View Post
    If it is still under I say get a CSX diesel and a winch. Put the main winch on the knuckle coupler of the CSX diesel, preferably an EMD GP38-2 and have the other on the flat car's end and carefully with the diesel slowly pull it out. Don't take the throttle past notch 1 in reverse.
    Now that is what I call Waffle!

It sounds like a good idea, I would like for the train to be un earthed however who knows of the condition the locomotive and flat cars and the very possibilty of the ground giving away therefore collapsing the tunnel again?

There are dozens of Locomotives and ore cars burried under a mountain of water in the Panama Canal. They left everything there when the job was done. Here's a thread about them:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showt...ghlight=panama

and here's one being dragged out of the drink, and no skeletons either!

http://www.czimages.com/CZMemories/frtrain/lakeloco.jpg

Forum Member Since August 5, 2001--
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. ( Daniel Patrick Moynihan )

nice catch,now I hope they can get that steam locomotive out of there soon and display it as a tribute not only for the railroad but as part of Virginia's history as well!

Very interesting aardvark1. newspaper reporting was quite colourful in those days. Although the rescue effort was commendable, I doubt that the entombed crew would have lasted a few minutes with the sulphur fumes, smoke, steam and heat from the firebox filling the small air space if any.

Not a pleasant way to go, me thinks.