JointedRail stuff [screenshots/renders]

Excellent video, thank you for sharing.

This is not meant to be critical, it's just information to help provide realism and complexity to the operating sessions. At all of the rail slips I have been, the policy is "the locomotive cannot go on the ramp". Idler cars (empty flats, gondolas, any empty, light weight cars) must be used so the locomotive is never allowed on the ramp. Most places had/have signs about one car length from the ramp "No Locomotives Beyond This Point".

Regards,

Hi John --

I'd make the excuse that in model railroadz it's not absolutely necessary to follow prototypical operation.

But having said that, the real reason the locomotive ended up on the barge was timing. At 10 minutes I thought the video was already getting too long, it would have added several extra minutes to get the locomotive to the other end of the consist, and I really wanted to finish with a panning shot to again highlight the shadows and reflections in T:ANE.

And, of course, in real life I'd be extremely surprised if any locomotive engineer and his crew could do those switching operation in 10 minutes. Based on my observations here in Australia I suspect it would take well over a half hour.

Phil

I call bull**** on the comment about Loco's not being permitted on rail-barge slips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUCJNx-Ex6w

http://thenhrhtanewhavenrailroadfor...New-York-Citys-harbor-East-River#.VTboHyGqpBc

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/65th_Street_Yard

Thanks. So the loco heading the consist onto the barge might be OK?

"Idler cars (empty flats, gondolas, any empty, light weight cars) must be used so the locomotive is never allowed on the ramp."

For those who have T:ANE with my Bidye Traction layout, there is a spur adjacent to the barge with flatcars to be used as spacers when unloading and loading consists. But in this case the reason is the overhead wire for the electric locomotives stops at the ramp making imposable for the locomotives to proceed onto the barge.

Hi Phil,
Things are done differently all over the world and I was only going by my personal experience. Here in the Pacific Northwest, BritishColumbia, Canada and Alaska I have always seen idler cars used and I believe it is for safety reasons.
At P-27 in Seattle, i.e. the old Milwaukee Road rail slip, unloading and back loading a 300 foot, 4 track rail barge was usually about a two hour project and there were no jacks or tie-downs involved. If there was a railroad break like coffee or lunch, just add that time into the mix. If they had to dig out some of the cars to back load it might add another hour or two.

I would like to thank drphlox for kindly pointing out that on the east coast of the US many if not all places do not use idlers. As I have never been to the east coast I was totally unaware. Thank you.

Regards,

b4b8875d533e8753436952ae28089949.png

Nothing like a shiny new car. :hehe: The model looks totally awesome, what kind of car is it? At first I though it was a Thrall all door boxcar.
Edit: Wait is it a all door that was rebuilt to a regular boxcar?

I think you're right that it was made into a regular box. I have seen that done where they replaced the outer sets of doors with more conventional sides, but here it looks like they just removed the door opening mechanisms.

Might want to have a can of WD40 handy when you try to open the doors. :) Nice work as always.

Regards,

Last edited:
I think you're right that it was made into a regular box. I have seen that done where they replaced the outer sets of doors with more conventional sides, but here it looks like they just removed the door opening mechanisms.
Ah yes looking back at your model and this picture I see what you mean. Its pretty cool I never knew they did this.
pictures%5C41139%5CMISC158zz.jpg

Wow very nice work Matt and cause i'm not banned from JR i'll be able to buy this one :hehe:. Great stuff keep it up.
Cheers Mick.

Back