The Whole D&RGW Narrow Gauge Route?

Matt315

Im a huge fan of the D&RGW system and I was wondering is anyone building the D&RGW 36 inch line from Sliverton to Alamosa or Salida. It would be AWSOME to run on. :D :D :D :udrool: :udrool: :udrool: :mop::cool:

Last edited:
Interestingly, I recently found a magazine bound book on the section of the San Juan Extension of the Denver & Rio Grand that is currently operated as the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. 64 miles of narrow gauge slogging over brutal territory. It might be fun, if I had more time.

:cool:Claude

Im actually trying to do just that. so far im working on Chama to Cumbres. Im only up to cresco. but ive got a pretty acurate Chama yard.(used google earth and a map on the C&TSRR Website.

Prowler has been working on the RGS for the last 4 years or so. As long as I have been using trainz

Yup.... Probably more like 6 years now... :eek: At the rate I get to work on it I don't know if it will ever be done.... :(

Im actually trying to do just that. so far im working on Chama to Cumbres. Im only up to cresco. but ive got a pretty acurate Chama yard.(used google earth and a map on the C&TSRR Website.

Some good references on that site, though I guess the exact gradient profile and details of speed limits/signalling are harder to find.

Yup.... Probably more like 6 years now... :eek: At the rate I get to work on it I don't know if it will ever be done.... :(

I appreciate very much your work and I am constantly looking at the screenshots of your RGS route which are a constant souce of inspiration for me. You worked that RGS map with Microdem software using a DEM map or is a terrain generated by hand?
I also repeatedly tried my hand with some of the old Colorado narrow gauge terrains (RGS, Durango-Chama, Toltec and Cumbres, Alpine Tunnel Route, Marshall Pass, Chili Line, Lake City Branch, Gunnison-Montrose), but the result was always the same: a too big map. I think a 1/2 scale would be the best solution, sure with the diminish of the highness of trestles (a problem which otherwise can be easily solved), and other, maybe unwished, consequences.

My RGS is not full scale. It's all hand made. I have a map that came with "Silver San Juan". It also has the grade profile. So, using the two I created what I have now. I've compressed it to about 10 minutes between each major station running a prototypical 10-15 mph. The whole thing runs about 33 miles long.

I'll keep plugin' away at it. :)

Todd

It's nice to heard you will keep working it, and I hope you will finish it soon, because I am already a fan of it. Good luck!

You know, I've heard that the D&RGW's NG line went all the way to Denver,CO AND don't forget about the Chili Line (Antonito, CO- Santa Fe NM) and that other branch line that derailed from me. Besides, we could use some adventures on the "Rocky Mountain High, Colorado" (By John Denver, Listen to it). By the way Prowler 901, how did you get that cool D&RGW icon?

Last edited:
You know, I've heard that the D&RGW's NG line went all the way to Denver,CO AND don't forget about the Chili Line (Antonito, CO- Santa Fe NM) and that other branch line that derailed from me. Besides, we could use some adventures on the "Rocky Mountain High, Colorado" (By John Denver, Listen to it). By the way Prowler 901, how did you get that cool D&RGW icon?

Which icon of his are you talking about? :confused:

Regards.

I know this is cheating but TranDem has the ability to use MSTS .mkr files in creating routes. There are MSTS routes that include most of the narrow gauge lines on TrainSim.com. Just download the file and put the .mkr file on a DEM map in TransDem and export the route to Trainz.

Works great, there will be a blue line marking the route.

Harold

Some good references on that site, though I guess the exact gradient profile and details of speed limits/signalling are harder to find.

I don't know about the D&RGW but the RGS never had signals. They used train orders and carried a device called a telegraphone which could be hooked to the telegraph line to let the dispatcher know about problems.

William

Im a huge fan of the D&RGW system and I was wondering is anyone building the D&RGW 36 inch line from Sliverton to Alamosa or Salida. It would be AWSOME to run on. :D :D :D :udrool: :udrool: :udrool: :mop::cool:
Well, I have something you might like. Its about 100 miles of narrow gauge with about 10 miles standard gauge (including 3-4 miles of dual) It was mainly based off of the San Juan Extension (now its a historical fiction route), running from Alamosa to Durango + the line up to Silverton and Farmington. There is also a branch for where Pagosa Springs should be. From where Alamosa is, there is a branch on standard and dual. the dual heads out to where Salida is. The track struggles up some 4% to the top of the pass where ther is a small branch that leads to a limestone quarry. From the pass it heads down the hill to where Montrose should be. the track continues till it reaches Ridgeway (yet the name is not Ridgeway). the track contiues till it reaches Durango. There is about 30? miles of RGS and alot of D&RGW. Antinito looks like it did in the 50's (maily the station nexto the junction).Yards are based off of those that I have seen E.g. San Louis= Chama (with 5 bay roundhouse and oil loading platforms) and Durango=durango in the 1950's(coal tower and ore processing thingy. The smelter is not next to the hill where the origninal was). This map was designed to be a compiment to the famous Timber Ridge Line from Klinger. Th route is still being made, just trying to get those final details and industries figured out. Have I mentioned this is my first route?

Last edited:
you mean its done finally the whole route is going to be released soon?
Not really, its a WIP and there is some content that needs to be pased by the original authors.... mainly Bendorsy.

To those of you wondering, this is not one of those 6X6 base board maps with lots of loops. This is a large map. Things are not excatly the same like on the real railroads, E.g. No High Line on the Silverton branch, no Oiser on the Chama part. There are influences through out. Like heading up grade from "Chama" there is a cliff with a steep ravine running down it ( you cross it on Bendorseys' Labotto tressel...twice). Train contiues till it hits Alta Pass(Alta pass=Cumbres pass and yes, there is a covered wye). then the train heads down the hill and crosses the same ravine mentioned earlier (hence the second bridge). There are some things the same yet there is alot of things that I put beacuse I could. I mentioned earlier in this thread that there is a limestone quarry, so I talked with Bendorsey a couple of weeks ago, and he is trying to work on the 1100 series gon so it would load limestone aggrate so it can go to a transfer station (Ng to the Sg) then to the cement plant outside of Alata (AKA Antonito). I would probaly start a thread on this route when it is near completion. And no, there are no photos......yet.

I can't wait for Klinger's new rotary and other works and Togog's C-19 341 to run on this route. I might consider making a winter version of the route........

Last edited:
Back